PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l LM7 to 5.7l what control system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l LM7 to 5.7l what control system?

Well this is the first of 2 LS based engine builds. This specific engine will be going in a Cj8 scrambler jeep however, the second will be a turbo based LM7/LS6 hydrid for a 71 chevele. I have a LM7 block that will be running LS6 pistons, a truck intake, LS6 cam, and 5.3l heads with some work. My question is where to start for a wiring harness and control system? The sensors and injectors are all from a 2002 GMC truck. Can I get any harness and cut it down or do I want to get a new unit from painless/GMPP? What controller do I start with (LS1, LM7, etc)?

Any input here is appreciated.

Tim
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your pocket book. Pre-made standalone harness is the easiest but cost more. You can buy stock harnesses and modify them your self, it's not real difficult it you get the diagrams. LS1 and LM7 to 02 use the same computer. That's what most people use in aftermarket configurations as you can use the cable throttle bodies with them.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I expect to pay for a harness out of a LM7 pickup and a used controller? Secondly, is it easier to start with a LS1 or LM7 controller. With the truck intake and injector cals it seems the LM7 controller/cal would be the place to start. However, I don't know how to accomidate the extra 5.7l displacement in the LM7 cal.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a truck harness and PCM, I'd say around 2-300. Any way you go, your gona need to have the PCM reprogrammed. You can buy software like EFILive and do it yourself, or you can pay a tuner to do it, cuz a very minimum your going to have to have the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) turned off. The software or any tuner, can adjust the calibrations in the PCM for either motor.

Quick Reply: 5.3l LM7 to 5.7l what control system?