Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar suggestions

Hey I want some suggestions...I have a 1997 Firebird with drum brakes on the rear, and 3.08 gears. And...soon I will install a rear end from a 2002 Firebird Trans Am with M6... That rear end came with the 1LE rear sway bar.

I dont know the size of my stock sway bars, and neither the 1LE rear sway bar of a 2002 FBody. But I want to know if it would be fine to use the 1LE rear sway bar, with my stock front sway bar. and I ask this, because I'm having some concerns about the stability of my car.

can someone help me?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the way i see it is, if you're gonna put a better rear sway bar on you should also put a better front sway bar as well. the stock 1le rear sway bar is 21mm the front being 32mm. the stock rear on ls1 is 19mm i'm not sure about a 97 model. if you're concerned with the stability of the car i would go with the spohn sway bar set, with that set up you will get a 32mm front, and 22mm rear sway bar, both solid and a lot stronger than your stock setup,

just my .02
Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

only 93s got a 21mm 1LE sway bar, all other years used a 32/19 combo. I'm using a 35mm solid ST front bar and a 21mm solid bar from a thirdgen, great combination and very well balanced. Heavy but cheap.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redbadss
the way i see it is, if you're gonna put a better rear sway bar on you should also put a better front sway bar as well. the stock 1le rear sway bar is 21mm the front being 32mm. the stock rear on ls1 is 19mm i'm not sure about a 97 model. if you're concerned with the stability of the car i would go with the spohn sway bar set, with that set up you will get a 32mm front, and 22mm rear sway bar, both solid and a lot stronger than your stock setup,

just my .02
I definitely wouldn't recommend combining a stock-like 32mm front bar (even though stock is hollow, and spohn is solid) with a 22mm rear.
My combination of 35mm front and 22mm rear(both hollow) is very very balanced, and going down to a 32mm front would only make the car tail happy and more loose.
Read the suspension stickies...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I definitely wouldn't recommend combining a stock-like 32mm front bar (even though stock is hollow, and spohn is solid) with a 22mm rear.
My combination of 35mm front and 22mm rear(both hollow) is very very balanced, and going down to a 32mm front would only make the car tail happy and more loose.
Read the suspension stickies...
35mm/22mm is a great set up as well, if you go with both solid sway bars like the 32/22 it will still be very well balanced, he OP was asking for sway bars that were more stable than what he has, i was just simply recommending the spohn set up because they have great products and would be better than what he has now...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 99 V6 Bird and I upgraded the stock V6 bars to a 32mm 1LE front bar and a 19mm Z28 rear bar, with poly bushings and endlinks. It's pretty balanced and helped quite a bit, although now I wish I went with the Strano bars.

V8 powered f-bodies came with larger swaybars than what the V6 cars came with, so anything you do is an upgrade (assuming you have a V6, not a Firebird Formula V8). If you're only concered about stability at the dragstrip (in a straight line), go with a large rear bar. If you're concerned about cornering and overall handling, do a balanced setup with a hollow 35mm Strano swaybar, and change out the bushings and endlinks to poly when you can (front and rear).
Old 09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my Spohn set
Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PsychMuscle
Hey I want some suggestions...I have a 1997 Firebird with drum brakes on the rear, and 3.08 gears. And...soon I will install a rear end from a 2002 Firebird Trans Am with M6... That rear end came with the 1LE rear sway bar.

I dont know the size of my stock sway bars, and neither the 1LE rear sway bar of a 2002 FBody. But I want to know if it would be fine to use the 1LE rear sway bar, with my stock front sway bar. and I ask this, because I'm having some concerns about the stability of my car.

can someone help me?
Can you explain more about the stability problem? Just asking since stability probably means something different between different people.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar suggestions