Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for you guys

how hard is it to swap an lsx into a v6 silverado 99+...jw, any help is appreciated
Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Yes, this should be pretty straight forward since you already have a vehicle that could have come from the factory with an LSX engine. I would find a 5.3 or 6.0 out of a silverado/tahoe,sububan etc. That way you won't have to deal with pulleys/accesories issue, make sure to also get the matching ECU and harness, transmission, this should almost plug right into your existing hardware depending on what year you get the pull out engine from. I would be wary of using an LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6/LS7 in a truck application. You can do it but cast iron blocks are best for heavy usage. Also I believe the reluctor rings on these engines are different, (do your home work first) so you may have a ECU issue with the wrong reluctor ring.

If I was you I would sell the V-6 truck and find a similar silverado that has a 5.3 in it already, then modify that engine. You will be miles ahead this way but if your truck is painted special or something like that I may be worth while.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970-Cloned
If I was you I would sell the V-6 truck and find a similar silverado that has a 5.3 in it already, then modify that engine. You will be miles ahead this way but if your truck is painted special or something like that I may be worth while.
+1

May not be as much fun that way, but with truck prices so depressed your 6 cylinder may actually be worth more than one with a V8. 12 mpg has really dropped the price of used 4wd 6.0L vehicles. A buddy of mine learned that when he tried to sell his H2.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by khaos288
how hard is it to swap an lsx into a v6 silverado 99+...jw, any help is appreciated
It depends on your skill level.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

well, I have a potentially free v6 truck from one of my relatives that is getting too old to drive, so that part would be free, but I ain't gonna roll a v6...i was gonna roll a 6.0 truck motor for sure and stay 2wd so fun sake, then realized the tranny in the v6 was a 4l60e, so i wouldn't even have to replace that right away...unless theres a difference in the two..I've done motor swaps in ls1 fbods, so i have pulling/transplanting experience, just don't know how hard the ecu and all that is to swap out