Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine running Super Hot!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine running Super Hot!!!!

Ok, I have a parometer on my #1 cylinder header, the temperature heading after my 6.4 1/8 mile pass is showing 1532 degrees. I know that aluminum melts at 1425, I do have all forged internalls, however its still aluminum. My question is do I need to start running the motor a litter more rich on the fuel side and if so how much, take a look at my HP Tuners tune here and tell me what you think, I have got it at 1.517 all the way through 4800 RPMs but drop it down a tad to 1.473 starting at 5200. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Any questions about my setup check out my Sig.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
new camaro tune.hpt (449.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not good with hp tuners but a pyro meter in the 1 one bank will it give you a good reading overall for the motor? Also what afr do u run? And i guess you can fatten it up a bit.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

One thing, I would want to confirm the temp reading. You might want to check with high range IR thermometer and/or consider moving the pyrometer to a different location for a second opinion. 1532 does sound little high. Was this running the juice?

The other thing, just because you are commanding a given AFR doesn't mean that is what you are getting. Have you confirmed your actual AFR? Seems like you should be rich already.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a wide air/fuel sensor. 200.00 then you will know a/f ratio.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

I think yall are right, I do have a Wide band O2 and the sensor reading I am getting NA is 13.01 AFR, when I run the NOS then I get a 11.6 AFR, which is all within parameters. what concerns me is the heat of my motor, and yes it is running 1532 on NOS, but thats in the 1/8 mile, I am concerned about running it in the 1/4 because thats another 2.5 - 3 secs of that Temp. I guess I would need to add more fuel to her and fatten it up a bit, doing that would cool off the motor but then it brings up the problem of running to rich which can cause issues on the juice. Any other opinions. If yall need look at my iniial comment at the top of the page with my HP Tuners Tune and see if you have any suggestions.
Thanks
Jake
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you have the temperature probe installed in the correct location? It is critical to their accuracy. They are designed to be a certain distance from an exhaust port to give the correct temps. Double check the manufacturers installation instructions, your AFR is no off so I would guess the probe it not installed correctly.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The exhaust gas temp is not the aluminum temp
because the aluminum has cooling water running
through it and conduction beats convection. The
EGT can be a useful indicator but I think you
have to look at it on a relative basis, it's more
about seeing the peak EGT vs fueling than the
absolute number.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd check it quick after a pass. If it is that hot, it ought to be glowing red. The header tube that is.
Could be the timing is too retarded as well as it could be lean.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

You know the parometer is installed about 1 1/2 inches from the cylinder head so that could be an issue, After reading the instructions it recommended it to be within 1/4 - 1/2 inch from valve, which pisses me off because now I will have to plug that header hole that I drilled and tap into another cylinder, probobly #2.
The timing is set at 24 degrees and after running a pass I check the plugs and I see the color of a brown paper bag, no white specals or anything that would show signs of pre detonation. As for richining it up a little bit what do yall think, I guess the AFR could be a little lower, maybe around 11 or high 10's
Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

i would be checking the injector to make sure it's flowin correctly...........also put the probe in another cylinder to make a comparison. the further the probe is from the cylinder the cooler the temp should be
Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"The timing is set at 24 degrees and after running a pass I check the plugs and I see the color of a brown paper bag, no white specals or anything that would show signs of pre detonation."
The "brown bag" coloration is not what I would be looking for, when reading a plug.
Here's a good link, to show what really matters:
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html
I use an "otoscope" to read plugs. That's the tool your dr uses to look in yur ears.. I bought mine off the Bag.. Cheap. I have 1 w/ the led lite source...works for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know how what I'm about to say relates to car engines, but on airplane engines an EGT of 1500 isn't necessarily cause for alarm. 1600 would be. For cruise, 1450 would be considered normal. Of course, this all depends how close the sensor is the cylinder. The closer it is, the higher it reads. I would experiment with different AFRs and see how closely the EGT follows.