View Full Version : SS DIED... Which 1 of 3 AZ shops would you take it to.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-14-2008, 08:42 PM
OK QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS WHO HAVE TAKEN YOUR CAR INTO 1 OF THESE 3 SHOPS.. IF YOU WERE ME WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GO TO. MY CAR IS DEAD IT WONT START IM NOT SURE IF ITS THE ICU OR FUEL PUMP DIED OR OTHER. BUT ON MONDAY I HAVE TO HAVE THE CAR TOWED TO 1 OF THESE 3 PLACES WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE ? I live in tempe sorry for caps :D

1. AZ AUTO MASTERS -Chandler
2. GEAR HEAD - GILBERT
3. TOP GEAR MOTORSPORST - MESA

Which shop do you think could fix the problem ?

shenanigans
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
maybe no one knows any of those shops. Go to the one you feel is more honest.

Dabeztz28
09-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I have not head of anyone them besides top gear. All i have herd are good things about top gear. Theres plenty of poeple on azfba that will vouch for them.

Ruckus46Gt
09-15-2008, 01:03 AM
i can vouch for top gear and would take it to him hands down. I've had work done at one of the places you listed, it wasnt bad but quality of service is night and day

96AZHAWK
09-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Top Gear if it were my choice. Is it the 97 LT1 in your sig? Sean at Top Gear works on a lot of LT1 F-bodies and B-bodies.

As for all the views and no votes, I think a bunch of people just look at posts that are in the Western section but the majority are not from AZ and can't really provide opinions on your locally based question.

Ruckus.. where have you been, I aint seen you at either event this weekend.

LS1 FORMULA
09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Top gear. Top Gear. Top Gear.
I would not trust anybody else to work on my cars.
I have had work done by the others. One of them I would not go back if the work was free. The other just seems the quality has dropped a bit.

Top Gear has never done me wrong since the day they opened.
He did all the work on my LT1 rebuild and did all the work on my formula so far. If I keep the car he will do the cam install also.
You cant go wrong with this guy.

Ruckus46Gt
09-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Top Gear if it were my choice. Is it the 97 LT1 in your sig? Sean at Top Gear works on a lot of LT1 F-bodies and B-bodies.

As for all the views and no votes, I think a bunch of people just look at posts that are in the Western section but the majority are not from AZ and can't really provide opinions on your locally based question.

Ruckus.. where have you been, I aint seen you at either event this weekend.

best friend is deploying wed so been drinking the past 2 weeks and not doing car stuff. I went up to 83rd and beardsley for a little bit sat night cause a friend stopped by on his way to texas for the night and he wanted to see some car stuff, but didnt know exactly where the central cruise was so. I should be around this weekend and the bottle might be back in the wired up etc. Gotta get my tools back from my friend tomorrow hopefully

FBODY4LIFE97
09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
UP DATE.... The car was dropped off this morning at TOP GEAR ... So hopefully it gets fixed !!!:emb:

matt3383
09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Sean is the man to bring it to.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I HOPE SO FOR MY SAKE ....:D My baby needs to come back to life :punch:

LS1 FORMULA
09-16-2008, 04:14 AM
He is a one man show. But he will take good care of your baby.

96AZHAWK
09-16-2008, 04:16 AM
He is a one man show. But he will take good care of your baby.

Werd... but when you don't need him to babysit or entertain your girlfriend he does okay with cars too. :D

96AZHAWK
09-16-2008, 04:18 AM
I HOPE SO FOR MY SAKE ....:D My baby needs to come back to life :punch:

I am going to go check out your car tomorrow... :secret2: Just to scope out another LT1.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Ill Sell it to you for 10,000 :D JK......

96 HAWK what do you drive... Dumbquestion is it a Forumla firehawk :confused: .....

My car isnt anything special to others... Only when i beat them on the road it is :engarde:

96AZHAWK
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Ill Sell it to you for 10,000 :D JK......

96 HAWK what do you drive... Dumbquestion is it a Forumla firehawk :confused: .....

My car isnt anything special to others... Only when i beat them on the road it is :engarde:

I have a 96 LT1 Firehawk which I have had for a while and usually take out to local events and I also have a 2000 Firehawk but I have the LS1 listed for sale.

Summerwolf
09-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, I've heard nothing but bad things about gearhead garage....

FBODY4LIFE97
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
2 F.I.R.E H.A.W.K.S :lock: RICH B}TCH :D LOL... HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON 2 FIRE HAWKS... AND WHY R U SELLING THE LS1 I WANNA SEE PICTURES OF IT...

IS THE 96 A LIGET FIREHAWK ....

LIKE MY CAR WASNT A 97 SS IT WAS A Z-28 BUT ITS BEEN MODIFIED TO SS YA KNOW

96AZHAWK
09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
2 F.I.R.E H.A.W.K.S :lock: RICH B}TCH :D LOL... HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON 2 FIRE HAWKS... AND WHY R U SELLING THE LS1 I WANNA SEE PICTURES OF IT...

IS THE 96 A LIGET FIREHAWK ....

LIKE MY CAR WASNT A 97 SS IT WAS A Z-28 BUT ITS BEEN MODIFIED TO SS YA KNOW

Funny... yes the 96 is a legit Firehawk... it's even purple. I don't see why anyone would make a Firehawk clone and make it purple of all colors. I bought them both used when they were 8 years old already and could never really afford a new one. Sean has worked on both of them for me. I have owned other F-bodies too and liked them a lot, just been a fan of the Firehawks for a long time. Here is a pic of each, first is 96 in Vegas and the other is the 00 in LA in May:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/96azhawk/1996%20Firehawk/HawkLV-1.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/96azhawk/1996%20Firehawk/hawkLA-1.jpg

FBODY4LIFE97
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Funny... yes the 96 is a legit Firehawk... it's even purple. I don't see why anyone would make a Firehawk clone and make it purple of all colors. I bought them both used when they were 8 years old already and could never really afford a new one. Sean has worked on both of them for me. I have owned other F-bodies too and liked them a lot, just been a fan of the Firehawks for a long time. Here is a pic of each, first is 96 in Vegas and the other is the 00 in LA in May:

Example..of why i asked... I see people buying 94--96 CAPRICE'S and turning them into IMPALA SS. They arn't really a IMPALA but a clone. Like my car isnt an SS its a Z-28 but its basiclly an SS. :D

Nice cars though.....

What mods have you done to the 96 ? I know they come stock 315 hp. LT4 set up...

FBODY4LIFE97
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Im an LT1 guy not a LS1 guy... Im honestly very impressed how clean the 96 is..... Ill trade ya my car for it :D:D:D:D lol

96AZHAWK
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
The 96 is nice but like any car that gets driven you can look at it closer and it has its share of small paint chips and blemishes. Both cars have only basic bolt ons. 96 has SLP shorty headers, random tech y-pipe... and that's about it performance wise. It does have other items installed like subframe connectors, hotckis PHB, Spohn LCA's, Baer front brakes, and 9" rear end (not needed yet, I was trying to plan ahead but planned way too far ahead.)

FBODY4LIFE97
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
just curious.... why r u selling the ls1 ? how old r u hawk ?

baylove
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
sean is a good guy he's honest and up front and does things right the first time

luigiandme
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
give Extreme Motorsprots in Tempe a call...

FBODY4LIFE97
09-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Car is already at TOP GEAR ..... I just got off the phone with sean...

Turns out the BRAND NEW OPTI that was just put in 3 months ago... Took a shit already.. Harness is bad as well..... DAMNIT :bang::bang::bang:

2002t/a06
09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
thats good that you went with top gear! sean is def the man! hell he did my converter and trans cooler install and charged me less than what he originally quoted me.

96AZHAWK
09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Car is already at TOP GEAR ..... I just got off the phone with sean...

Turns out the BRAND NEW OPTI that was just put in 3 months ago... Took a shit already.. Harness is bad as well..... DAMNIT :bang::bang::bang:

Was it a brand new GM opti?

FBODY4LIFE97
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
nope it was an EBAY ONE i was tight on money......:devil: but sean is installing a GM one with a new harness..... and a few other things to fix :angel:

02SS3098
09-18-2008, 10:50 PM

HEY! There's my Black LS1 in the background! lol

My vote is for Top Gear. I haven't had a chance to take mine to Sean yet, but I've hung out with the guy and he's a real cool dude. He's always taken the time to answer every question I've ever had and is genuinely a nice guy. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. As soon as I'm ready to have some of my parts installed, it's going straight to Sean.

Just an experience I had. I hope you don't mind me telling this but...David (96AZHAWK) and I were in David's Suburban. He had taken it to Gearhead (before he knew about Top Gear) for an AC leak. He had to keep taking it back to Gearhead over and over because it kept leaking. I beleive David was charged every time he went back even though the guy was supposed to have fixed it the first time. Some phantom leak. He ended up taking it to Sean and it seemed to have gotten fixed. When we were about to start our trip to NM, his AC was blowing hot yet again, so he took it back to Sean. Not only that, but Sean wasn't even there. Sean was actually at a baseball game, but he came in anyway. We went down with David's burban and Sean worked on it for what seemed like 2 hours. He charged up the AC and got us going at least for the time being since we were on a schedule. And what blew me away is that Sean refused to charge him at all. Even though David wanted to pay him for his time. 2 hours worth of labor and an AC charge for free and all because he felt it was his fault that he didn't find the problem the first time. Now that's some customer service! It didn't even seem like that long since we were bs-ing with him pretty much the whole time.

I still don't know if David had his phantom leak taken care of. But it just goes to show you that Sean will try his hardest to do the job right the first time and if he doesn't he'll set it right.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
HAWK.... how much are you asking for your LS1 HAWK ?????

I love the 96 if you ask me.... :nod:

96AZHAWK
09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
HAWK.... how much are you asking for your LS1 HAWK ?????

$16.5k I have it on Craigslist if you know anyone that is interested.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/788879796.html

FBODY4LIFE97
09-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Hawk how old r u and why r u selling it... you didnt respond to my response

FBODY4LIFE97
09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
:nod::angel:Good news.... I just got off the phone with sean at Top Gear ... he over nighted the opti and its put in... now hes gonna test drive... so hopefully like he said the car could be done and ready by tomorrow YAY !!!!:D:nod: :nod::angel:

96AZHAWK
09-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Hawk how old r u and why r u selling it... you didnt respond to my response

I must have missed it, sorry. I am 30 but what does that mean? I am selling it because it is distracting me from the fully forged bottom end, ported AFR LT4 engine that I have been working on getting together for the past 2 years for the purple car. Since I have not had any luck selling the LTX parts for a decent price that means the black car has to go. Either that or I sell off the LT engine and purple car and keep the black car. It has been an internal struggle for a year now. :bang:

FBODY4LIFE97
09-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I was only asking age simple curious..... are both the cars paid off im sure the 96 is...

do you ever go out to the pavillions on saturday nights.

96AZHAWK
09-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Both cars are paid off... no liens on either one. But I got lots of other billz.

I go out to the pavillions quite often at least once a month during the cooler months. I was last there 2 weeks ago. I don't know if tomorrow (Saturday) we will hit up the Pavilions or try Central and Thomas again.

WS6Drop
09-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Sean built my trans. Its still alive so far. He fixed some things that AZPS decided to screw up.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I Got off the phone with Sean an hour ago and my car is done :D Im waiting for my roommate to get home so i can go pick up my wife from seans place :D Im excited if you cant tell...:D

FBODY4LIFE97
09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Apon driving the car home.... it started to drive bad then when i parked it, coolent everywhere... no lights come on , heat temp and water temp never went over.... back to the drawning boards...

I have full faith in top gear - sean

Ruckus46Gt
09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
that sounds like a totally seperate issue going from wont start to coolent overflow

FBODY4LIFE97
09-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Nope... it was part of ot.. The clamps he used on the water pump hose didnt stay on by the time i got home. Car is fixed....:D

Ruckus46Gt
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
next time my car doesnt start i gotta check my coolant and battery gotcha

FBODY4LIFE97
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
do you have any idea what your talking about.... I took the car to sean my OPTI was replaced.. in order to get to the opti you have to take the fans and water pump out... when installing the opti you have to put all the stuff back on.. if the hose's wernt put on right the 1st time geee whats gonna happen let me think about this... ohhh i know.. all the coolent is gonna come out.

If your gonna be a jackass please dont comment thanks :D

FBODY4LIFE97
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
:hijack: THREAD CLOSED ...Thanks to everyone for the information and the help on here i really appreciate it....... but the car is done no more reason to post useful information and jackass comments thanks !!!!!

Ruckus46Gt
09-21-2008, 11:31 PM
dude you take shit way to seriously

96AZHAWK
09-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Ruckus... you're an LS1 guy and can't understand coming down with a case of the optis. :lol:

Fbody... glad your car is fixed but you took off before I could walk over to introduce myself or have a friendly little run. ;)

Ruckus46Gt
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Ruckus... you're an LS1 guy and can't understand coming down with a case of the optis. :lol:

Fbody... glad your car is fixed but you took off before I could walk over to introduce myself or have a friendly little run. ;)

nope i know all about opti's or i'd be driving around a 1995 firehawk with 22k miles on it. My brother in law's brother had one that never moved out of the garage basically and wanted a little less then i paid for my ss, but didnt want to deal with opti and well of course couldnt pass up an ls1. I had a 93 also so

96AZHAWK
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
nope i know all about opti's or i'd be driving around a 1995 firehawk with 22k miles on it. My brother in law's brother had one that never moved out of the garage basically and wanted a little less then i paid for my ss, but didnt want to deal with opti and well of course couldnt pass up an ls1. I had a 93 also so

Ah, I see, cool… I would have figured you for a past mustang guy! Most the F-body people I know have owned 2 or more over the course of their car lives. I take it you didn’t sell your SS yet or have you taken it off the market completely?

Ruckus46Gt
09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
didnt sell it and eh if someone comes along it will go but not actively putting it out there anymore. I've had 2 mustangs and 2 camaros now...mustang, camaro, civic, mustang, camaro

FBODY4LIFE97
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
ttt

Thanks HAWK... I had things to do plus it was hot outside but we can run anytime im game =]

btw.. it wouldnt have been a smart idea since the tags on my car were due in aug. and its september ...lol + had the exhust off you can hear the car 100000 miles away lol...

I got tags on tuesday so im set.... you should come out to the pavillions this weekend

96AZHAWK
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I got tags on tuesday so im set.... you should come out to the pavillions this weekend

Cool. I would go out but I happen to be going out of town this weekend so it will probably be next weekend.

FBODY4LIFE97
09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
next weekend deal... send me a PM with your name and cell if your cool with that....

in a few weeks im gonna have sean do some upgrades on my car to see if i can drop a couple tenths and improve my trap speed to atleast 114 on street tires...

track is fun and all but lets be honest... putting slicks on is cheating; but if its only a track car i understand now if its a daily driver....4 things will change on the street

1. traction =]
2. 1/4 time
3. trap speed
4. 60 foot time

besides in my experience.... MY EXPERIENCE.... id say 7 out 10 cars... mustangs, chargers, gto, lt1, ls1, vetts c-5, dont have a clue driving on the street =]

anyways no negative comments... i could care less ive been driving f-bodys for 8 years... so this is my experience... Ive raced alot back in the day at ILLEAGLE DRAGS =] and on the street.

Ruckus46Gt
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
my traction, 1/4 time, trap speed, and 60' on the streets stay the same but i'm only on a drag radial