LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Any problems lowering the Magnaflow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems lowering the Magnaflow exhaust

I would like to lower the tips of the Magnaflow exhaust by 1 inch from where the OEM hanger position places them. This would dictate 3/4 of inch lower at the rear axle hanger positions. Will this be too much pressure on the CAT rubber donuts? Is it flexing something too much at the engine/manifold/CAT mounting areas? Which way does the engine rock the exhaust when you are on and off the throttle?
Thanks again for the help,
Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Why would you even want to do this?

I believe Magnaflow has the right set up for these cars, so dont screw around with it.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

All of your exhaust questions could have easily been asked in the same, original thread. You don't need to start a new one every time you think of a new question.

That said, I post this smiley in a response to your query yet again:

BUT, everyone has their reasons for doing what they do...so I'm assuming that you do to...

Anyway...because the engine is mounted transversely (sideways), all of the flex in the system is front-to-back...so the rubber doughnuts (aka "isolators) just need to be able to handle the minor front to back movement. Worst case scenario, you just need to get bigger (longer) isolators.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks BuffaloSS!

Sometimes I tend to ask too many questions in one post. Sorry if it causes any confusion.

Getting back to the topic thanks for the response. That's great because when I put on 1 inch longer hangers at the tips it clears the rear sway bar better. I also think it looks better. My only concern was the OEM hanger (just in front of the right rear tire) is stretched about 3/4 of an inch longer now. Also the CAT donut isolators are stretched further than normal. That is what got me thinking about the stress in front of the CAT. Is there a flex section of the exhaust ahead of the CAT?
Thanks for the help,
Old 09-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty certain there isn't a fex section in front of the cat...but I've never looked that closely.