LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Hub Need to be lined up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Hub Need to be lined up?

How many guys actually line this thing up? I just put it on normally and read that some people actually line it up with piston 1 at tdc...

is that mandatory? I thought these were neutral balanced so it didn't matter.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it has a keyway try to match that up but not necessary they are externally balanced in the rear neutral in the front
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

As stated the LT1 is internally balanced in the front. The LT1 also has a damper. Not a balancer, meaning there is no heavy side on the damper. There has been controversy over this where people state they see indentions or holes in their damper in thinking their engine is externally balanced in the front. That can't be farther from the truth. If that were the case then there would need to be a crank key to hold the "balancer" steadfast. The reason for those indentions or holes is to zero balance the damper, therefore it is not necessary to place the damper in any specific position on the crank snout.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one time it was off for a cam swap, i did line it up to TDC on #1, so it made it easier to adjust valves.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I installed a Fluidampr on my LT-1, which has a keyway, naturally my OE damper didn't have one. However, since my OE hub did have a little bit of a recess i it, hot oil got in there and left a "tatoo" on the crank snout. So, if I was putting the OE hub back on, I could use the "tatoo" to line it up.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Default 96 Caprice 5.7 LT1 Crank/Hub issue

I have a 96 Caprice with a 5.7 Lt1. I keep having an issue with the balancer or damper hub, I keep having an issue with the bolt that bolts it to the crank coming loose and backing out the Pulley/Damper/Hub from the Crank, ultimately throwing the belts. I know this year has a keyless hub, but the crank does have a notch for a key for the crank postion indicator. My question is can I use a keyed hub from a 96 camaro Lt1 and or 96 corvette LT1 or any after market keyed hub and use the keyway on the crank to keep the crank from slipping and ultimately backing out the bolt to the hub? when i put the original hub back on I noticed the key for the indicator was missing, i ran it anyway , it ran for awhile and i noticed no problem without the key indicator missing, but once again the bolt backed out. Help!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The one time it was off for a cam swap, i did line it up to TDC on #1, so it made it easier to adjust valves.
Exactly. You should take care to line it up properly so that you can quickly tell when the engine is at TDC. Makes adjusting valves quicker.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
As stated the LT1 is internally balanced in the front. The LT1 also has a damper. Not a balancer, meaning there is no heavy side on the damper. There has been controversy over this where people state they see indentions or holes in their damper in thinking their engine is externally balanced in the front. That can't be farther from the truth. If that were the case then there would need to be a crank key to hold the "balancer" steadfast. The reason for those indentions or holes is to zero balance the damper, therefore it is not necessary to place the damper in any specific position on the crank snout.
The LT1 is externally ballanced at the flywheel/flexplate.

Originally Posted by thomas22
I have a 96 Caprice with a 5.7 Lt1. I keep having an issue with the balancer or damper hub, I keep having an issue with the bolt that bolts it to the crank coming loose and backing out the Pulley/Damper/Hub from the Crank, ultimately throwing the belts. I know this year has a keyless hub, but the crank does have a notch for a key for the crank postion indicator. My question is can I use a keyed hub from a 96 camaro Lt1 and or 96 corvette LT1 or any after market keyed hub and use the keyway on the crank to keep the crank from slipping and ultimately backing out the bolt to the hub? when i put the original hub back on I noticed the key for the indicator was missing, i ran it anyway , it ran for awhile and i noticed no problem without the key indicator missing, but once again the bolt backed out. Help!!!
You can actually have your hub sent out and cut to use a key installed in the keyway of the crank that is already there.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1 hubs dont have a key way, But the cranks have the slot for a key.
I did however line mine up at TDC & timing set but really doesnt matter.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

just slap it on you will be fine
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

96 Corvette hubs aren't broached for a Woodruff key. ThunderRacing does sell replacements though with the broaching in it, less than $100 You may be able to get the key there too or hit your local GM parts department.

When I did a heads and cam change on my son's 96 LT1 several weeks ago, I re-installed the stock hub after bringing #1 to TDC and aligning the triangle shaped mark in the hub casting at 12 o'clock.

Some say it doesn't matter; others say it does. I chose not to chance it so I did the alignment; nothing to lose.

ShBox.com, I believe, has something on this.

Jake

West Point Rocks!

Quick Reply: Lt1 Hub Need to be lined up?