Sponsored by:

Loud clicking noise and smoke at high RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking noise and smoke at high RPMs

Hi,

My 2002 Z28 has had this loud clicking like noise at 4500-redline for a few months now and now it has started to spew white smoke out of the tail pipes at the same time it starts "clicking". The noise and smoke just happens anywhere between 4500 and up but once it starts it doesn't stop until it the RPMs drop either by shifting or letting off the gas and letting the RPMs come down.

It's been happening for a little while now, both in cool weather and hot, summer weather. It happened before and after the headers and exhaust. It also has been getting worse (more and louder clicks and now the smoke). I have taken it in in the past but I don't think the dealer wanted to take it up to 4500+ RPMs so they never looked into the engine to see if something is amiss.

Anyone have any idea on what this could be?
Old 02-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Loud clicking noise and smoke at high RPMs

Check your spark plugs and see if there is oil on them if u are smoking then there is a hole in the piston I blew a hole in my 00 ta check for compression in the cylinder making the tappin noise if it is running like crap. If that isnt it u could have a lifter wore wrong and that will mess the cam good luck