Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Switch Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch Switch Wiring?

I posted about this a couple months ago, but now am down to about 5 wires to finish before I can start this thing. I read that if I do not connect a wire from a clutch pedal switch to the PCM I can possibly have stalling problems while releasing the clutch.

My harness is from an automatic car and I have converted it to a manual harness. One wire I left in was Blue connector pin:

Neutral Safety Switch Signal 34 ORN/BLK 434

Is this an auto wire only? I think I can remove it, but not sure.

Now I think I should hook up a wire to Blue connector pin:

CPP Switch Signal 32 GRY 48

and run this to my clutch pedal switch. What does this pin expect to see? Ground when the pedal is depressed? Any help?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

It looks to me like that ORN/BLK is "auto trans only" that provides a ground for the PCM park-neutral position signal, it is grounded in park and neutral. I don't know who did your computer but a stock PCM wouldn't allow a "start" signal unless that circuit is grounded.

The CCP signal would be grounded with the clutch released, it's normally closed and is used for cruise control, the other pins of the CCP would provide a signal for the start/safety circuit.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The 34 ORN/BLK wire is an automatic only wire, not present on a manual trans harness. On an automatic it will see ground in park and neutral. It dosen't have anything at all to do with letting the engine start, it will start with or without it connected.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Roger. I can remove the ORN/BLK wire.

I have what I think is the CPP Switch from a F-Body. I took it off of a pedal set I bought, that I didn't end up using. It has 4 wires on it that match up with this diagram:

I understand one side takes ground and the PCM 32. Does anyone know if this wire actually effects anything, other than cruise control? I recall seeing a post that said that it helped with stalling during clutch pedal releases.

Now I wanted to wire up a switch so the car would only start when the clutch is depressed. I put the multimeter on the switch and the contacts are only connected when the switch is depressed, ie. clutch pedal released. How can I hook this up to a relay in my starter solenoid wire? Do I need a completely different switch, a special relay or is there something I am missing?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Ok so I would still like some more info on the PCM 32 wire and if it is only for cruise control or serves other purposes, but I think I have figured out how to wire the relay for the starter solenoid.

Let me know if this sounds right. I need a SPDT Relay:

spdt_relay.jpg?t=1221830266

This relay has five terminals:
85 - Switch -
86 - Switch +
30 - Power in
87a - Connected when not powered
87 - Connected when powered

The CPP Switch is connected when depressed, ie. Pedal Released. So if I wire:

Name:  ccp_wiring_diagram.jpg
Views: 17695
Size:  64.6 KB

I wired the purple wire from the starter side of the ignition switch through the CPP so the relay only gets switched when the key is in the start position. I figured the relay might go bad a lot faster switching everytime I pushed the clutch pedal, by just running ignition voltage to it.

So in this diagram the relay would be connected if it is not powered through 86. When the key is turned to start power will go to the CPP switch, if the clutch pedal is not depressed the switch will be connected, thus powering 86 and moving the relay to 87. When the clutch is depressed power will be cut off from 86 and the relay will go back to it's rest position (unpowered) 87a giving power to the starter solenoid.

Does this look/sound right?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

That looks good, should work fine.

Quick Reply: Clutch Switch Wiring?