Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

74 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 74 Camaro

I have a 74 Camaro. The body is in perfect shape. I bought it 4 and a half years ago before Transformers came out. It does look exactly like the Camaro in the movie, minus the cowl hood and rust spots. It came with the stock engine and a built turbo 350 trans. The stock engine is pretty tired and I want to upgrade the car.

Well here's what I was thinking, is it possible to put in a BBC, like a 454 or 427, with a T56 transmission? How hard would this be and what all would I need to upgrade to do this? I know a mechanic who would do all the work for pretty cheap, so right now I am mostly interested in figuring out what I plan to do with the car and how much the parts would cost.

I currently have a full 2.5 inch dual flowmast exhaust with a H-pipe. The interior is in great shape. I need a new center console anyways. I am currently selling my DD because I don't need it anymore and plan to use the money from that to pay for this. I hate automatics, even this turbo 350 with a shift kit, and that is why I want the 6-speed. I really enjoyed driving the TA. My goal is to have a weekend cruiser and I always have wanted a camaro with a BBC.

Last edited by Rabada; 09-18-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a t56 from an lt1 car will bolt right up to the bbc...the bbc will bolt right up to the factory k-member with stock motormounts. the only problem would be the trans cross member which isnt much of a problem at all...

although i dont care for the 74-77 camaros it still would be cool as hell

finding headers will be easy to since early second gens could be bought new with bbc's from the factory