Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

my future suspension set-up...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my future suspension set-up...

ok guys, i've been searching for difference suspension set-ups for my car for a while now. as of this moment i don't have many upgrades from the stock suspension. these are the suspension plans i have in mind

1.strano 35mm front/22mm rear sway bars
2.strano performance springs
3.koni single adjustable sport shocks and struts
4.umi, non -adjustable panhard bar w/ relocation kit
5.umi tubular non-adjustable lower control arms w/ relocation kit
6.bmr non-adjustable torque arm
7. and hotchkis polished strut tower brace

although the $$ will be tough to save, i think its a pretty good set-up. i also have a plan on the performance but i'll post that up in the other thread. tell me what you guys think the pros and cons of this set-up would be, and how your experience is with these products.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

What duties will be expected from this vehicle?

Since you have a majority of Strano, Koni, and UMI parts, you ought to give Sam a call, mention your list, and he can help you decide what can fit what you're looking for.

If you're looking at handling, the first 3 will certainly give the biggest return on performance. If you do the first 3 on your list, then the 4th one should at least be adjustible.

#5 may not be necessary, #6 will depend on some other factors, and #7 will be completely an appearance mod.

To make the 4th Gen F-body perform better, there isn't much needed to do so. I know since I've tried a majority of aftermarket parts around for the F-body and lots of them didn't improve my performance. Some ended up breaking, some others just added weight, and some just didn't improve anything.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out my website in the R&D section for a list of parts that you will probably want to replace while you are in there.

You really need to do an adjustable PHR when you lower the car or else the axle will not be centered in the car. An adjustable Torque arm is also a good idea because the pinion angle can then be set correctly once the car is lowered.

I don't recommend tubular control arms for any car that's not just going straight. The stock arms are more than up to the task for durability and handling. There have been too many posts about aftermarket arms failing/bending. Just do a search on this site. Just upgrade the stock arms with poly bushings.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

definitely get the adjustable torque arm and panhard bar or you will regret it later when your pinion angle is off and your rear end is shifted to one side. If you are hitting your budget then hold off on the STB, mostly for looks anyways.
A budget setup could be
1. 35mm Suspension Techniques Sway Bar and the stock 19mm rear or 21mm used bar from a 3rd or 4th gen
2. Strano Springs
3. Bilstein shocks (we don't have struts, 4 shocks)
4. UMI adjustable rod/poly panhard bar (don't get the relocation kit, it isn't to improve handling, it is simply to make room for a bigger exhaust)
5. UMI adjustable rod/poly LCAs or just hold on on these all together, stock LCAs are suppose to be pretty decent for handling.
6. BMR or UMI adjustable TA
7. SFCs and STB (if you feel it is necessary)

I see you already have the relocation kit, unless you have a huge 4" exhaust or true duels I would sell it and use it towards your other parts, like I said, it is not intended to be an improved handling component and could even reduce handling by changing the angle of the PHB. Also, sell the non=adjustable PHB and get the poly/poly or poly/rod adjustable one if you plan on lowering the car.

Last edited by vjo90rs8; 09-20-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i need the panhard relocation kit to clear my exhaust.. thanks for all the responses guys.