Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LS1 into 2005 RCSB Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS1 into 2005 RCSB Silverado 1500

Well it is now time for me to start the project i have been dreaming of since i was 14 years old. I finally stumbled across a deal that i couldn't pass up. here is a quick overview of the project... but first i would like to let you guys know... this project is my daily driver and will be seeing a good amount of track time.... but more driving around campus... i go to Texas Tech!!! Wreck EM'! anyways back to the project...

Vehicle: 2005 Silverado 1500, Regular Cab, Short Bed.

Current Engine: 4.3L v6

Current Modifications: McGaughy's 4/6 Spindle Drop, Painted stock rims, air intake and exhaust.

Swap information:

all below parts are out of a 2002 Ram Air T/A with only 36,000 miles on it.

Parts already acquired:
  • 2002 ls1... complete from intake manifold to cat's
  • 4l60E automatic transmission
  • wiring harness
  • AC Condensor
  • Stock T/A Air box
  • Misc Hard Lines and soft hoses
  • computer
  • almost anything you would see if you opened the hood of a stock ram air T/A

now i need some major input on what i still need... i thought i knew everything and turned out when i was ready... i didn't lol.

So far what i can think of are the below items
  • long tubes
  • frame mounts.... the engine mounts are still on the engine
  • x pipe
  • im not sure on the whole DBW or DBC throttle body situation
  • upgraded fuel pump?
  • fuel lines?
  • air intake set up
  • oil cooler
  • truck tranny pan
  • truck pick up tube
  • Vette fuel filter/regulator

I know there are things i am still forgetting.. please chime in.

a few questions:
  • With all the wiring harness situation.. should i use the T/A harness or take a truck harness and cut-and-wire to the injectors?
  • can i run it on the f-body tune until i can afford a nice dyno tune? or would that be asking for trouble?!

and I am sure i still have more questions... i will update as they come to mind.

The following are pics of the truck the engine is going into... and also the engine and transmission

thanks for the help! and i cant wait to start the ball rolling on the dirty work!

Preston

Last edited by 05chevyguy; 09-21-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

updated...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

You can keep the DBC set up on the engine as long as you use a throttle cable from a DBC equipped silverado.

Since you have a 4.3, use the T/A harness and mod as needed.

I think your stock fuel lines should be good. I dont know if the 4.3's had a return or a returnless fuel system. The T/A has a retrunless fuel system. If the truck has a return you can get a fuel rail from a truck with a return fuel system. Or you can buy my Truck intake that is complete with injectors & fuel rail. LOL.

You can run the Stock F-body tune until you can get it properly tuned for the mods you will add.

You can add a stock in tank fuel pump for a truck or an F-body to work with the increase in fuel pressure to run the LS1.

HTH'S.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your existing in-tank fuel pump & fuel lines are already the perfect supply system for the new LS1. Simply install one of the Vette filter/regulators on the frame rail where your current fuel filter is, in its place. The fittings you will need for this, can be bought from a company named Dorman. The part numbers are on this site many times over, or over on www.LS1Truck.com
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

yeah i wasn't sure if the 4.3 had the same fuel pump as he v8 or not so i think ill just go with the vette regulators.
can you guys think of anything else that is necessary for this engine to drop in and work the first time?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What motor mount pieces you going with? Are the existing 4.3 frame & motor mounts usable, or?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

from what i understand they are not useable... i could be wrong though.... the motor mounts are still on the engine... so i was going to try to use those if at all possible... but as of now i dont think the frame mounts on the truck are useable..
Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Im interested in this as well... Trucks are dirt cheap right now, so swapping in a nice lq4/4l80 with l92s could be fun. I think my nova project is going to get sold once I complete the body work... i just dont like the 69s that much...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

thanks man... im in college right now so im trying to hurry things along as fast as possible for a poor college student haha.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lss1
You can keep the DBC set up on the engine as long as you use a throttle cable from a DBC equipped silverado.

Since you have a 4.3, use the T/A harness and mod as needed.

I think your stock fuel lines should be good. I dont know if the 4.3's had a return or a returnless fuel system. The T/A has a retrunless fuel system. If the truck has a return you can get a fuel rail from a truck with a return fuel system. Or you can buy my Truck intake that is complete with injectors & fuel rail. LOL.

You can run the Stock F-body tune until you can get it properly tuned for the mods you will add.

You can add a stock in tank fuel pump for a truck or an F-body to work with the increase in fuel pressure to run the LS1.

HTH'S.
will using the T/A harness affect my gauge operation? ie: will they work? also i want to still possibly retain cruise control... is that possible? this is my DD so id like to have everything function as if it were stock..

Quick Reply: 2002 LS1 into 2005 RCSB Silverado 1500