Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbed ls1 ignition options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbed ls1 ignition options?

well... I am curious if and what are the options out there for ignitions when using a carburetor. I know the obvious ones like the edelbrock controller, the MSD 6010, the front drive distributor conversion. but is there anything else that can be used? can a fast or any other system be made to work on these?

Let me know....I have been reading about some of the troubles the MSD 6010 box seems to have and I am thinking I may be experiencing similar problems. Can't seem to get any spark....and I'm using a callies crank which I have read may be the worst combo for that ignition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I remember reading about someone using Megasquirt or some other controller. I can't remember the name of the other one right now but it's pretty new. I'll post up the name when I find it.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i wouldnt be affraid of using the msd, as long as you use the correct box for your crank reluctor
i heard there was a possibility of using other computers, setting them up to ignor the fuel injectors, just using the cam, crank, and coil wiring and programing the timing, but not sure if that is true or not
i wouldnt switch mine for nothing though, it works that well-unless it started leaving me on the side of the road, lol
Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I'm just kinda frustrated about this thats all. Tried firing up my project today for the first time and I had no luck... just cranked over forever without any indication that it wanted to even try starting. Got fuel.... got lots of voltage.... just doesn't seem to want to give me spark. I am also having issues with the msd software and my laptop. I'll work that out tomorrow hopefully. I don't want to use anything other than the MSD 6010 box...trust me, but in the worst case scenario I would like to know what options are out there.

I have to get the software working asap so i can see if its reading RPM while I'm cranking.... then I'll know if its reading the reluctor wheel or not.

Jim
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just checked out your cardomain page....man! That's a bad truck.
I just seen that it's a stroked LS1, so maybe that's why it won't crank. I remember reading about some aftermarket cranks not working with the MSD software. And I believe Callies was one of the brands mentioned.

Couldn't you use the stock computer and have it re-tuned to ignore the injectors like Forcd Ind said? And maybe set it up with a speed density tune since you won't have a MAF device?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah... the aftermarket crank thing was never mentioned untill it was too late. this is what worries me. You think if it was a problem MSD would have some sort of warning, or disclaimer.

Jim
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, they should have a warning in the directions or even on the advertisement/description. That would save a lot of people's time/money.
Big Stuff was the other controller I was thinking of. I'm not sure what all you could do with it, but maybe it's worth looking into.