Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Front Bar: First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Front Bar: First impressions

This is gonna be a short post because I'm freakin tired. Anyways - I was kinda concerned because the directions said the endlinks should be loose enough for the spacing tube to be rotated so I left it loose enough for it to be rotated with a little effort.

When I drove the car home all I can say is WOW. I wasn't nearly this impressed after the Konis went in and I haven't even installed the rear bar yet. I don't know if I even will. I really like the feel of the car right now. SO much more confident in the turns now and at higher speeds. I actually feel like I'm USING those 275 GS-D3's up front now. Nose dive has significantly decreased and honestly, it doesn't really feel much harsher in terms of ride quality. In many cases, it feels like the front end is smoother now (probably due to the fresh bushings). What can I say - the hype is true. Thanks Sam for a great product.

P.S. Only trouble I had was the brackets that came to hold the D bushings in place weren't wide enough for the screws to fit into (diameter of the screw was larger than the opening for the screws in the bracket) so I reused the stock ones off the stock bar. Seems to be just fine.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you like it! I installed front and rear sway bars from Strano and was impressed with them but don't remember seeing anything about leaving them loose to slide through. It's been a while since I installed them so I forget the terminology, are you talking about the ends next to the wheels or where it bolts up to the car?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

damn, glad to hear that you really like them.
i cant wait to get both bars for my car. should wake up the konis
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
This is gonna be a short post because I'm freakin tired. Anyways - I was kinda concerned because the directions said the endlinks should be loose enough for the spacing tube to be rotated so I left it loose enough for it to be rotated with a little effort.

When I drove the car home all I can say is WOW. I wasn't nearly this impressed after the Konis went in and I haven't even installed the rear bar yet. I don't know if I even will. I really like the feel of the car right now. SO much more confident in the turns now and at higher speeds. I actually feel like I'm USING those 275 GS-D3's up front now. Nose dive has significantly decreased and honestly, it doesn't really feel much harsher in terms of ride quality. In many cases, it feels like the front end is smoother now (probably due to the fresh bushings). What can I say - the hype is true. Thanks Sam for a great product.

P.S. Only trouble I had was the brackets that came to hold the D bushings in place weren't wide enough for the screws to fit into (diameter of the screw was larger than the opening for the screws in the bracket) so I reused the stock ones off the stock bar. Seems to be just fine.
A few things:

First, the links should be tightened a bit. Might be a mis-print but I tighten them so you can't turn the bushings, washers or spacers easily. They need not be any more tight than that. And it's recommeneded you recheck them in about a week or so.

As for the u-brackets.. you should be using the supplied brackets as they fit the bushings properly. The stamped holes are a bit small on a lot of them (the die is wearing out), but a few swipes of a file will be all you need to open the holes up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A few things:

First, the links should be tightened a bit. Might be a mis-print but I tighten them so you can't turn the bushings, washers or spacers easily. They need not be any more tight than that. And it's recommeneded you recheck them in about a week or so.

As for the u-brackets.. you should be using the supplied brackets as they fit the bushings properly. The stamped holes are a bit small on a lot of them (the die is wearing out), but a few swipes of a file will be all you need to open the holes up.
Thanks Sam!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Launching!

A few things:

Ok - should be a quick and easy fix. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I really wanted to try some strano sway bars b4 I sold my SS . I had everything else.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a front bar used, so no directions, I just torqued the end links to the factory number listed in the Chiltons. Seems to be fine. It felt great, I think once I'm on the road again I will need to pick up a rear bar.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Launching!

If I have the time I'm gonna put the rear bar on this weekend. I have everything on the front bar done right now - I think I'm getting used to it but I still feel an improvement. We'll see what the rear bar does. If I get the rear in I'll go for a run with the local vette crew through the twisties and see how she feels. Then I'll just have to get my exhaust re-done so I can put on the springs! I wish...
Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

If you get out a dremel and grind a hair off the dbracket holes, the bolts will fit fine. I think I tried using the stock brackets and they didn't really fit the best.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
If I have the time I'm gonna put the rear bar on this weekend. I have everything on the front bar done right now - I think I'm getting used to it but I still feel an improvement. We'll see what the rear bar does. If I get the rear in I'll go for a run with the local vette crew through the twisties and see how she feels. Then I'll just have to get my exhaust re-done so I can put on the springs! I wish...
FYI: We are waiting on front bars (material delays), but rear bars are in stock!!!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Already bought ur rear bar - went in a couple days ago. Even better handling, only downside is the rear's really touchy now under throttle when I hit a small bump in the road. Usually wheel hops. Now I just need ur springs, Sam!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I mentioned it more for the others.

You might want to go back and try some different rear shock settings and/or play with pressures a bit now that you'd gained about 33% more roll stiffness back there vs. stock. Most folks tend to run more shock or air to try and help balance the car and the addition of the bar and the associated wheel rate means you might want to try and do a little more dialing in. Every action has a reaction.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I mentioned it more for the others.

You might want to go back and try some different rear shock settings and/or play with pressures a bit now that you'd gained about 33% more roll stiffness back there vs. stock. Most folks tend to run more shock or air to try and help balance the car and the addition of the bar and the associated wheel rate means you might want to try and do a little more dialing in. Every action has a reaction.
Where would you reccomend me to start (I'd like to compensate with my shocks), Sam? I could use a suggestion rather than my own shots in the dark since I have the 3rd gen rears and they take a lil time to adjust.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Can't tell you by e-mail. Tired of folks "borrowing" my information when they aren't my customers.

Customers are of course encouraged to call the tech-line with these sorts of questions.....

Old 09-30-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Ordered a Strano bar a couple days ago. Can't wait to get it on.

But from what your saying Sam you guys have a bit of a back order going on?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm working hard on bars now, but material has been a nightmare (it's what also held up ordering springs).

I don't have an ETA on Hollow front bars at this time. I have some hollow rears in stock, and I'm looking at options on the front, including a run of less expensive solid bars to at least get folks good roll stiffness. And if nothing else it's barely any more weight than a solid 32, but a lot stiffer.

I want folks on Hollow bars, but I can't make the material just show up from thin air. Supply problems are a bitch, and are going to give me a stroke.

I will be calling folks as I have time regarding any pending orders. Your order has not been charged, but it is filed so when they arrive you are in line. That's how it will remain if/when you opt to explore options. Hate all that, but that's being as honest as I can be.....

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filed the brackets for the fronts just a little.After installing the front sway bar, what a difference.I was shocked.About a week later I installed the rear bar.The handling quality is unbelieveable.I ran my koni's(4/3) full soft in the rear and played around with it on the front.These were the best mods I did to my t/a.What I like about Strano is that he spends a lot of time with you trying to find out what's best for you.He doesn't try to sell you stuff that you don't need.When it comes to suspension Sam is the man hands down.I had to wait a couple of weeks for the stuff to get in stock but,It's worth the wait.Best money I ever spent.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

No worries Sam. I'll wait for a hollow bar. Seams like there worth the wait.

Quick Reply: Strano Front Bar: First impressions