Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conversion mount question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion mount question???

When using the plates that convert the 4 bolt gen 3 mount to the 3 bolt old style mount does it move the actual engine and trans. ive noticed when looking around that some people say they move the engine back about an inch i think it was.cant remember if it said forward or back. Im doing a gen IV 5.3 swap in my 88 iroc and using the ls1 oil pan. there isnt alot of oil pan clearance as it is and i was going to use those plates but wanted to make sure before I bought them. Any help would be great thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default mounts

not much actual experience here, but there are several mounts out there- BRP's will move my engine 2-1/2" forward on a first gen. There is a standard mount-I.E. the lower center bolt of old style mount is in same place as LS bolt hole and someone even has one thats moves 1" rearward than the "standard" mount, I would look at thirdgen.org and see what those guys use - seems pretty common swap and someone should be able to give you some good advice there if not here. I have done a engine in my third gen twice and I have to say they SUCK!! - so little clearance
Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Launching!

yeah things are kinda tight. thanks for the info i will try that.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Third gens are cake compared to R&R in a fourth gen, just becarefull not to scratch that nose with the cherry picker.....
The 1 inch setbacks are your best bet, or you can buy the specific mounts from one of our other sponsors and they will indeed fit but the pan clearance is snug....
Here is my snowball of a ls thirdgen project

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

will the 1 inch setback plates move the trans back an inch or does the trans stay in its stock position and just puts the engine right at the trans. I guess what i am asking is there any plates that will allow the ls engine to bolt up the the trans without having to mess with the trans mount and moving the trans to a different location?thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It puts the engine closer to mounting with the trans but will be off requiring the trans to be moved forward a hair to bolt up to the ls..... on the ls the bellhousing mounting surface is flush with the head where the sbc has about a 1 1-2 or so of a offset to where the trans mounts..... This causes problems in some applications hooking up in the stock location as the head may contact the firewall first.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info.so looks like i need the 1 inch set back like you said.thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can ship these today!
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370