Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 in a Dragster, Thinking Supercharger..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a Dragster, Thinking Supercharger..

I have a an LS1 powered dragster running 8.95@149 and I'm looking for more. I have an almost brand new Vortec S-Trim supercharger that I think I'll make fit this winter. The engine is a nearly stock 2001 with MS3 and 2.5 heads.

What is needed to make this engine live a long and happy life on pump gas? Will the block handle the power? I'm thinking it should hit 750-800HP, am I crazy thinking it will make that much power? And will it live?

Lee
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

For 800hp the t trim might not make it.

Personally i would sell the vortech unit and run a top mount blower (Kenne bell/whipple/maggie (122 of course)) for a more dragster feel.

For a drag car only, why would you use pump fuel? Unless it came out of the pumps in the pits (104+)?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are using the digger for? What class? Adding a blower will not make it more consistant if bracket or index racing.....Is it a 4-link? or slip or hardtail? The light weight LS based engine can be a plus in a digger, but to compete in any of the popular classes you will need 700+ HP IMHO. Better to chase than be chased....but you could run SC (8.90) and give the 180mph guy's a little difficulty in judging the stripe with them catching you right at the stripe. If your set on running a LSX build a nice radical heads/cam around 14 to1 or so CR on 114-116 race fuel to be consistant. Do you have a glide behind it?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

The whole idea behind using this is I already have it and it will keep the cost down. Wanted pump gas, again to keep the cost down. I have too many cars running and it's getting really expensive!

It will be bracket racing only and is a hard tail with a glide. Right now at 9.0's it's extremely consistent and a no frills ride. My wife would really like me to step it up for her. Obviously I would still like it consistent.

I agree with the traditional look, I went with the vic jr. and the holley throttle body just for that reason.

The goal is to hit 8.30's, this way she would qualify for the quick 16 class. BTW, our DA is 7000-8000' during the race season, really bad air.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a cool ride! All you need are better rods and pistons, check out the build on the LS1. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=54 This car was used hard on a road course for several years, and was very reliable at 740 (conservative Mustang eddy current dyno) rwhp. Bob
Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

What brand rod and pistons? Would it be worth it cost wise to get a stroker crank? Or would I be better off putting this engine in another street project and get a different engine from the wrecking yard and modify it?

thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71_firebird
What brand rod and pistons? Would it be worth it cost wise to get a stroker crank? Or would I be better off putting this engine in another street project and get a different engine from the wrecking yard and modify it?

thanks.
We use Callies Compstar rods and Diamond pistons in most of our builds. The stock crank is good for 1000 hp, no need to change it. Since you are looking to make more power on a budget, I'd use the block you have. Bob

Quick Reply: LS1 in a Dragster, Thinking Supercharger..