View Full Version : Best Rear End for My F-Body

2000WS6ICK
09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I am currently at 400 RWHP on my Trans Am, WS6, A4. I would like to upgade my rear end because I plan to spray 125 wet shot soon. What rear end will be best to buy that will bolt right in and I can use my UMI Torque Arm, stock Driveshaft and stock brakes? Some say Moser 9", Moser 12 bolt and Strange. I want to hear from guys who have bolted in these rear ends and how they perform. I would also like to know how hard it was to install.

AFASTYZFR1
09-24-2008, 09:41 AM
9in from epp:nod:

if you are lowerd you have to make a little more clearance, but is not hard to do.....other than that, install was easy

ssvert99
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
the best bang for the buck will be the Strange S60 if you are gonna keep the UMI t/a. it will require a new driveshaft, but with the power you will have i definetly would not be running the stocker. if the driveshaft fails it will cost you much more to repair the damages than the new shaft will cost in the beginning... and then you still have to buy a new driveshaft. this goes for any rearend you would upgrade to. the install on the S60 will be simple... stock style bracketry and the t/a will bolt up with no clearance problems.

kenSS
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
the best bang for the buck will be the Strange S60 if you are gonna keep the UMI t/a. it will require a new driveshaft, but with the power you will have i definetly would not be running the stocker. if the driveshaft fails it will cost you much more to repair the damages than the new shaft will cost in the beginning... and then you still have to buy a new driveshaft. this goes for any rearend you would upgrade to. the install on the S60 will be simple... stock style bracketry and the t/a will bolt up with no clearance problems.

that's right:D

UMI Performance
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't see any reason why with 400HP+ you wouldn't be ok with a 12-Bolt.. I would recommend Strange first but Moser is good as well. Both rear ends won't require any special items and all the products you have now would bolt right to it including your stock driveshaft. The S60 is a great rear end too and is what I use but could be overkill for your application.

Hope that helps a little,
Ryan

2000WS6ICK
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
About how much is a strange 12 bolt shipped?

UMI Performance
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
About how much is a strange 12 bolt shipped?

We don't sell them direct, I suggest to try Byunspeed or Speed Inc.. both are great to deal with.

www.byunspeed.com

www.speedinc.com

ssvert99
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
they are about 2500.00. any rearend you purchase price will depend on how you outfit it.

DVS99TRANS
09-24-2008, 10:19 PM
If your not looking at going with a "massive ammount" of power, go with the 12 bolt. I got my S60 from Byunspeed and they have unreal customer service. Lucky that you have the A4 which means you can run a A4 day in and day out without as much worry as a M6.

SuperSlow02
09-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a Moser 9in, Love it. Im using a UMI T/A also, but for the A4, Id go with the 12 bolt. If your unlucky like me and seem to have to pull your axles every 6 months for studs, then the 9in is golden..got it down to 20mins now :)

EPP
09-25-2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=145

Check out our fully shipped price on the Moser 9 inch. Bob

Predator
09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I am currently at 400 RWHP on my Trans Am, WS6, A4. I would like to upgade my rear end because I plan to spray 125 wet shot soon. What rear end will be best to buy that will bolt right in and I can use my UMI Torque Arm, stock Driveshaft and stock brakes? Some say Moser 9", Moser 12 bolt and Strange. I want to hear from guys who have bolted in these rear ends and how they perform. I would also like to know how hard it was to install.

I bolted-in a Strange 12-bolt and couldn't be happier. I'm sure the other options are great too, but I have no experience with Moser.

It was like installing a stock rearend; it just bolted straight in, no modifications necessary, even came filled with gear oil. It was a little pricey, and I had to wait for it. I got it with new backing plates installed, 4-channel, aluminum cover, and a new Strange CM driveshaft. The price with shipping was a little north of 3k. I couldn't be happier though.