Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dark Side Appearance Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dark Side Appearance Advice Wanted

I know its not an "LSX", hell its not even a GM product, Yes it is a Ford! Its my new truck, (Don't worry I didn't sell the camaro) I traded in my old pos dailey driver on it. The reason I am posting in this section is because I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas for some inexpensive apearance mods I can do that would look good. I would eventually like a set of wheels & tires, but they will have to wait a while. I would also like to remove the step, but my wife is short & has trouble getting in as it is. I am open to ideas....What do you think?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a nice truck! The problem with cheap appearance mods is, well, they look cheap. I'd do what you said, ditch the step, then strip the badges that don't have an indent in the body for them, get an exhaust for it, or get a turn down on the factory muffler, take off the tag bracket on the front bumper,get the front windows tinted, then save for wheels. Trucks look better slightly lifted with a nice set of wheel and beefy tires IMO, so keep the step for that later.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Looks like a nice truck! The problem with cheap appearance mods is, well, they look cheap. I'd do what you said, ditch the step, then strip the badges that don't have an indent in the body for them, get an exhaust for it, or get a turn down on the factory muffler, take off the tag bracket on the front bumper,get the front windows tinted, then save for wheels. Trucks look better slightly lifted with a nice set of wheel and beefy tires IMO, so keep the step for that later.
Thanks, That is what I was thinking..Any idea if the badges are glued on, or will there be holes? I actually have an apointment next weekend for the window tint. I would also like to put a 2" lift, but I will have to save up for that & the wheels/tires. I will probably wait untill I need tires anyway. I want to get my camaro finished before I start throwing toooo much money into the dailey driver.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The problem with cheap appearance mods is, well, they look cheap.
+1

Avoid stick on mods, they just look like crap. Especially the non functional hood scoops. Some of the best mods are expensive though, just shop around for the best prices. Since your wife is short and you want to get rid of the step just install a hide away step that only comes down when the door is open. Those are sick. Rousch also has some sweet body mods for the F150. Or better yet just use your imagination and some fiberglass like you did on that sweet hood on you camaro.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Whistler mod those headlights. I have seen it done on a very similar truck, and it looked great! New wheels, window tint on the side windows, shorty antenna, maybe a billet grille, or better yet a black powdercoated grille , new catback, remove front license plate bracket (if that is not a law problem in your area), paint door handles to match body color, paint side mirrors gloss black, ditch the step bar thing on each side (if that's not a problem for family members), and remove that little sticker on the bed cover....just some random ideas

Ha! and a new gauge overlay, which you can make yourself!

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 09-25-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Whistler mod those headlights. I have seen it done on a very similar truck, and it looked great! New wheels, window tint on the side windows, shorty antenna, maybe a billet grille, or better yet a black powdercoated grille , new catback, remove front license plate bracket (if that is not a law problem in your area), paint door handles to match body color, paint side mirrors gloss black, ditch the step bar thing on each side (if that's not a problem for family members), and remove that little sticker on the bed cover....just some random ideas

that pretty much sums it up, nice truck.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Launching!

you can do a lot of nice things to your truck i think wheels and tires really set it off though! here is a pic of my good friend's truck
Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^truck looks nice, not a fan of the front fascia. If he wanted to make it have a lower stance, shoulda went 2x4
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was mine...I had 24s on it.

For your truck I would suggest a Lariat Grille (arizona biege center and chrome ring), Mark LT Handles, 1.5in shackels for the rear, tinted side windows, and rims.

BTW I have a nice set of 18in Lariat rims and a custom underseat box with two Kicker CVR 10s for it...pm if your interested.

Last edited by 97ramsst; 09-25-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice AK-47 or m-16 would do wonders for any Ford!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding.

Nice Truck.

Just get some nice wheels and de-badge.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black&Blue
+1

Avoid stick on mods, they just look like crap. Especially the non functional hood scoops. Some of the best mods are expensive though, just shop around for the best prices. Since your wife is short and you want to get rid of the step just install a hide away step that only comes down when the door is open. Those are sick. Rousch also has some sweet body mods for the F150. Or better yet just use your imagination and some fiberglass like you did on that sweet hood on you camaro.
Totally agree...Those "stick on" emblems are the one reason that I have grown to HATE chrome.

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87

Any pics of the whistler done like this? That could be cool! I found a good match for the paint, but I am not sure how well it will hold up on the door handles.

Good thinking on the gauge overlay!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
This was mine...

For your truck I would suggest a Lariat Grille (arizona biege center and chrome ring), Mark LT Handles, 1.5in shackels for the rear, tinted side windows, and rims.

BTW I have a nice set of 18in Lariat rims and a custom underseat box with two Kicker CVR 10s for it...pm if your interested.
Good idea on the Mark LT handles... Truck looks nice!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wabmorgan

You can't de-badge it...there are alignment holes under all of the emblems.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by McNord
Totally agree...Those "stick on" emblems are the one reason that I have grown to HATE chrome.

Any pics of the whistler done like this? That could be cool! I found a good match for the paint, but I am not sure how well it will hold up on the door handles.

Good thinking on the gauge overlay!

Good idea on the Mark LT handles... Truck looks nice!
The whistler mod headlights are actually Harley Davidson F150 Headlights.

I dont know about a gauge overlay....but a Lariat gauge swap is very popular on XLT. They have white faces with chrome rings.

Thanks for the compliments on my old truck....I have tons of pics of it but would have to reload them. I traded it in last year on my new truck:

Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The whistler mod headlights are actually Harley Davidson F150 Headlights.

I dont know about a gauge overlay....but a Lariat gauge swap is very popular on XLT. They have white faces with chrome rings.

Thanks for the compliments on my old truck....I have tons of pics of it but would have to reload them. I traded it in last year on my new truck:
New truck looks nice too, thanks for the info!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned Village Idiot

clean truck... why didn't you get a GM truck tho!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Teching In

You Should Bring It Down A Little And Put Some 22's, If Not Some 24's On It! Black Out The Windows And Call It A Day! Maybe A Grill To Go With It!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
You can't de-badge it...there are alignment holes under all of the emblems.
Damn FORD..... and their "better ideas"

Maybe a nice AK-47 or M-16 would be a "better idea" after all.

If you had got a Silverado you wouldn't have this problem.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I would have to agree with the first few posts.

De-badge or black out the badges
ditch the foot rails for maybe a tuck away auto step on the passenger side
Whistler the headlights
Tint the tails a hair
Black Billet grill
Ditch the front plate bracket
Color match the two-tone section at the bottom
Tint
Exhaust
Rims/Tires with an aggressive tread pattern
Slight lift
Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

When I get home later I'll look for that pic...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Pics of mine before the Mark LT Conversion...
HD Headlights and black Carriage Works grille:

Mark LT handles:

24s:

Quick Reply: Dark Side Appearance Advice Wanted