Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Revised sts..nice.!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Revised sts..nice.!

Guy on our local board posted a bunch of new improved sts f body kit.
Not sure if they are up on their site yet . They have fixed the low ground clearance issues ,the air inlet is much higher up now. You have twin tailpipes not the single pipe. And pretty sure the front pipe don't hang low as before and they show setup with front mount intercooler.
I will post them up if they are not on the sts site. I have my aps kit and sure will be happy with it once its installed but might have went to this sts kit with the new improvements. Only still not crazy about a scavenger pump setup but other than that can't really see any negatives anymore with this improved sts. Access is good to the turbos and to the engine.Looks like pretty easy install as well.

Nice to see a company making good improvements in their product. I can vouch for the fact that the sts kits work and work well. Been in an lt1 and an ls1 car and both were impressive even at 5psi on stock engines.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to be alot happier with the aps than any sts. I dont even think they are in the same league.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Well might go with newly revised sts on my 96z or possibly future vette.

Here are the links..http://na2.salesforce.com/servlet/se...0530000000xIzK

http://na2.salesforce.com/servlet/se...0530000000xIzK

Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm don't work

maybe this will http://na2.salesforce.com/servlet/se...0530000000xIzK
Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry not great at this computer stuff. But you can see the pics now.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Improvments look great. I'm goona look into running my intake to the same place. Also i wanna run my wastegate to the same way.

Thanks for the pics
Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Improvements look good. I am still going to sell my sts and go front mount because my horsepower goal will most likely eceed the sts style kit. Never the less I think those improvements are good, same way I modded mine minus the air filter mod.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Looks good but most rearmount guys have huge turbos now so I see that tiny pipe being useless. I already look into doing the charge pipe with the subframe welded to it but for long term use and body flex I see it breaking into the charge pipe and getting **** in their. Good wastegate location sweet dual pipe set up. But the charge pipe from the turbo with that 90 degree is useless but gives good clearance But you will never get three inch in there. Great improvments but can be better with more thought.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

The best part is really the new filter position, I might see about getting one of those pipes. Otherwise, most of those issues have already been fixed on my car.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS
The best part is really the new filter position, I might see about getting one of those pipes. Otherwise, most of those issues have already been fixed on my car.
Did I miss something? Where is the improved clearance? Also wouldn't your filter get slammed w/ more road crap and water being right behind the rear tire.

I dont really see any improvements, If they really want to fix the clearance issues reroute the charge pipe under the front and rear control arms. Also these kits need more pipe and less silicone hose.

Doug
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98catfish
Did I miss something? Where is the improved clearance? Also wouldn't your filter get slammed w/ more road crap and water being right behind the rear tire.

I dont really see any improvements, If they really want to fix the clearance issues reroute the charge pipe under the front and rear control arms. Also these kits need more pipe and less silicone hose.

Doug
The pipe over the a arm wont work unless you have solid mounts and a custom exhaust, and manaifolds I got more room now that i have solid mounts. Also they have a cover for the filter inside that bumper thing but that is going to robb the cold air pulled from out side. Plus the only way to keep the filter clean is to put it in the trunk of the car and some how run the charge pipe inside the car.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
The pipe over the a arm wont work unless you have solid mounts and a custom exhaust, and manaifolds I got more room now that i have solid mounts. Also they have a cover for the filter inside that bumper thing but that is going to robb the cold air pulled from out side. Plus the only way to keep the filter clean is to put it in the trunk of the car and some how run the charge pipe inside the car.
I'm not arguing w/ you quite the opposite, I think that a lot more work needs to be done to make this kit worth 5 or so grand. As far as the filter goes being right behind the tire vs. under the car I think It should get cleaner air under the car. I mean if you hit a small puddle of water in a parking lot the tire will sling water right onto that filter.

I just think sts should put more into this kit to make it a little nicer since it was their signature kit. I personally think that sts has abandoned the fbody guys since they dont make these cars anymore. They are spending money and time to produce other vehicle kits which is fine but this kit was the original design and has way to many hoses and clamps to leak and cause a loss of boost.

I also dont like that with this kit you have to keep the standard equipment 4WD ( ride height) that gm decided should be mandatory.

I mean your own sig says it all Butmounts Suck

Doug

Last edited by 98catfish; 09-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98catfish
I'm not arguing w/ you quite the opposite, I think that a lot more work needs to be done to make this kit worth 5 or so grand. As far as the filter goes being right behind the tire vs. under the car I think It should get cleaner air under the car. I mean if you hit a small puddle of water in a parking lot the tire will sling water right onto that filter.

I just think sts should put more into this kit to make it a little nicer since it was their signature kit. I personally think that sts has abandoned the fbody guys since they dont make these cars anymore. They are spending money and time to produce other vehicle kits which is fine but this kit was the original design and has way to many hoses and clamps to leak and cause a loss of boost.

I also dont like that with this kit you have to keep the standard equipment 4WD ( ride height) that gm decided should be mandatory.

I mean your own sig says it all Butmounts Suck

Doug
Im not defending this system I hate the hell out of it. The only thing that came from sts that is still on my car is that wire harness, And hell I dont even use it anymore. Butfrom the OP is trying to do has been tried and epic fail The only way to make a butt mount really good is to run pipes on the inside of the car along with the filter...... OR JUST BUY A PRO CHARGER

Last edited by OUTLAWZ RACING; 09-27-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: ........
Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey..I don't have an sts I have an aps system not finished installing it yet.
I just was saying that was pretty impressed with the two sts cars that have riden in and they seemed to work fine for the guys that owned the setups.The one guy is pretty paranoid about going down roads he don't know.The other guy sold the system a year or so ago and the car.

It looked like some decent changes in the newest version of the kit.

I was considering one possibly for my 96 z at some point in the future depending on if they also upgrade the lt1 kit.

As for the rear mount idea it seems to work as you can now see several 10 second cars on this forum running rear mounts even if they have had to modify the sts kit extensively.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Well to all knocking the sts kit I can understand but There new kit does work very well besides the intake going behind the rear tire. I changed Mine But you know what this friday my 98 camaro with an sts kit that took me no time to install at all just went a 1.34 60 ft. so what does that tell you for the money that I spent on the kit

Last edited by 408ant; 09-29-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 408ant
Well to all knocking the sts kit I can understand but There new kit does work very well besides the intake going behind the rear tire. I changed Mine But you know what this friday my 98 camaro with an sts kit that took me no time to install at all just went a 1.34 60 ft 6.22 in the 1/8. so what does that tell you for the money that I spent on the kit
No offence but when you say sts kit in your post its as if it was a stock kit and it gives people that are not as knowledgeable as some of us a sense that thay will make huge amounts of power if they buy this kit. Well thats just not true. IF your kit was a stock kit from sts then I'd be willing to bet it had every single upgrade they offer. As well as a few things they don't. To make the power one of two things (or both) has to be present, A much larger turbo or a very light car.

Not to mention a cam and heads really help. Nobody mentions that stuff when they talk about their sts kit.

Sorry to rant but there is no way in hell a stock 98 f body went 6.22 in the 1/8 with an sts kit alone. Like I said you either have a h/c car or you have a very efficient exhaust set up (header wrap) to spool a much larger turbo than what comes w/ the standard sts kit and hand held tuner.

Be honest and forthcoming on your setup before you spout off about unrealistic times you ran so newbs to FI wont spend alot of money before they completely understand what they should truly expect, which is realistically 100 to 125 hp on a base kit, 150 to 200 + w/ a lot of upgrades and extras like tuning,header wrap the complete exhaust,front mount I/C,larger turbo,converter,and quite possibly some spray to help out w/ spool issues inherrant in rear mounts.

Doug