Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED ANSWERS: Wiring Pinout questions*!*!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ANSWERS: Wiring Pinout questions*!*!

I'm doing a 3.8L to LS1 swap in my 2000 camaro. I'm using a 99 ls1, ECM and wiring harness.

I don't want to change the whole dash and relay harness with a 99 ls1 so i need to re pin the 5 main connectors (blue and white under dash and big 3 plugs on passenger strut tower) right?

Ok so I need to make sure i know what I'm doing before i cut up all my wires...obviously

Is this what i need to be doing: basically im just going to swap the spots that the pins are in on the plugs on the end of the dash harness and the end of the front harness to match the pins on the pcm and engine harness???/ right???

And also if this is correct im need to know what the wires are on the dash and front harness of a 2000 camaro 3.8L and also what all do i need to actually re pin these plugs (ie tools, where to cut the wires, etc)

So if anybody wants to help someone who is somewhat lost and has done this before that would be awesome and really appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Also another easy question is what wires do i hook up to the starter and to what posts

Do you hook the positive cable to post on the solenoid that doesnt have the little black wire on it and the little blue/purple wire on the engine wiring harness to the small post?

and then where does the wire that comes from the negative battery cable down to the starter area?

once again any help is appreciated
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

bump!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by COJO_24
Do you hook the positive cable to post on the solenoid that doesnt have the little black wire on it and the little blue/purple wire on the engine wiring harness to the small post?
This is correct.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

and then where does the wire that comes from the negative battery cable down to the starter area?
Side of the block somewhere.. that's basically your Ground.

If I was back home I could get you your pinout diagrams for the 3.8l and your new Harness.. If you get the chance, go to GM and see if they can give you that printout, they have the All Data program that has that.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loweredd
This is correct.
Originally Posted by the_merv
Side of the block somewhere.. that's basically your Ground.

If I was back home I could get you your pinout diagrams for the 3.8l and your new Harness.. If you get the chance, go to GM and see if they can give you that printout, they have the All Data program that has that.
Ok thats how i have the battery cables now.

And I'll check at the dealer for those printouts but if anybody has them already please post them up.....i dont really want to go to the dealer for this
Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I didn't have a problem at the Dealership getting them. I told them what I was building and they were like damn..lol
Old 09-27-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, if you get a car guy, they will be very helpful!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok ill try that then
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Hey cojo, I just remembered a site I found while trying to find some wiring for my brother in law.

http://www.autozone.ro/addVehicleId,...00c1528009ff52

Autozone has diagrams in thier site. There is a ton of them under 3.8 Camaro.

Happy hunting!!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Ok well im getting nowhere with my wiring...i dont know what wires to put in different places and im just really confused overall

and for some reason now my lights are always on and the inside courtesy lights are always on also even when the door is closed

i need some help as to whats going on...i cant figure out what wires to swap...it just sounds like when i turn the motor over it isnt getting any spark

someone please help
Old 09-27-2008, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

and also on all these wiring diagrams it keeps saying (vin G) or (vin K)....what does this mean....my vin starts out 2G1......

does that mean i have (vin G)
Old 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Ok a little update....it will start and run very badly if you hold the throttle about half way open but dies once you let off the gas. Also it smoke really badly on the driver side exhaust. It look like it is just coming out of the headers but im not for sure. I know im getting good spark now and air is fine too but not 100% sure on fuel....how can i check to see if its getting enough fuel? And I still need the wiring stuff because im convinced it has something to do with that since it just wont run with out you messing with the throttle and my headlights and courtesy lights are always on...along with some stuff that shows up on the instrument panel. And im not sure about the smoke either...its only on one side and i dont think i spilled any fluids on it when i was filling the motor up

help please

Last edited by COJO_24; 09-27-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

and also on all these wiring diagrams it keeps saying (vin G) or (vin K)....what does this mean....my vin starts out 2G1......

does that mean i have (vin G)
That is the 8th digit on your VIN. 8TH digit. G means 3.8 V6, K is LS1.

Quick Reply: NEED ANSWERS: Wiring Pinout questions*!*!