Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propane and N2O. Im still a little fuzzy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propane and N2O. Im still a little fuzzy

So basically you get a dry kit and then get another noid and run propane? Or buy the actual propane kit from dynamic racing, and then get a plain old dry kit, like the N.O.S one? the good things of propane are the fact that it doesn’t puddle like a gas wet kit could. It has a lot higher octane witch will in turn help reduce knock. And there inst a reason to get fuel upgrades because it doesn’t use more fuel like a normal wet kit uses. All correct right? Also how would you regulate the propane, does it too have a "shot size"? What would happen if you just injected propane? I mean would it just act like its getting really good race gas? what about tunning, or can you run the stock tune, or have it a little rich for a precaution. any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Propane and N2O. Im still a little fuzzy

I think you are right on all of the above....

propane is your fuel so I guess if you ran "too much" it would be like running a really rich fuel jet....
Old 09-09-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I was just wanting to make sure I knew what I was talking about... Im still wondering about the tunning and the "shot" size. If the kit isnt bought how hard would it be to make? I am going to use a propane tank like the ones off the forklift at work. its better than a BBQ one
Old 09-09-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would have to be a little richer if you are going to run propane instead of gasoline. this means you would have to use a bigger jet on the fuel side. as for running just propane, what do you mean? do you mean if you shut off your fuel system and just injected propane? or do you mean if you shot propane with an empty nitrous bottle? you can run a car on propane but i dont know how to do it. also there arent quite as many propane stations around as there are gas stations . if you mean just adding propane to an already working fuel system it would make you go rich.
as for tuning you would still want to retard timing depending on what size shot you use. if its 100-150 the stock tune should work fine. any bigger and you want to retard about 1* per 100 shot.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Propane and N2O. Im still a little fuzzy
Your not supposed to be breathing it
Old 09-09-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

So breathing its bad

I was talking about, If you ran out of nitrous. Thats what I thought, id just go rich. I dont want to spray a lot, most the car would see is 150. So would I use the 150 nitrous jets or something lower? Should this be meterd like a normal dry kit? or should it be ran after the maf? My guess is after becuase there is enough fuel supported by the propane. thinking a loud here. I am sorta a newb with nitrous
Old 09-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Restricted User

Yep run it like a wet kit. Jet the Nitrous side then go up on the propane side from what the gas jet would be, go bigger. Theres a regulator, some companies say it is not required, but some say it is. Maybe its just safer that way...I am seriously looking into doing this in about a month or two. Use either a custom kit, or wet plus P.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

I agree more you would use it like a wet kit. Not like a Dry kit As Z-Rated said. You wouldnt want to spray propane before the maf. Just think of it this way. Same thing as a wet kit just propane instead of gas on the wet side. And you would need different jet's i assume.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Z-rated it should be easy enough. Seems you would just run a second braided hose to your propane bottle hooked up to the fuel sol. Then you would have to Dyno with a wide band to get your af correct playing with the jets. Just remember it is high octane and burns slower. so it will be hard to get the shot size and AF ratio right off the bat and you dont want to blow crap up so start small....and just keep changing jets in slow increments untill you get where you want.
I would for sure hook it up like a wet kit. (not that i have ever done this or seen this same setup it just makes more since)
Just buy a Wet kit and then get a extra line to run from your propane bottle to your fuel sol. instead of running to your fuel rail. How to keep a steady pressure on the Propane side i dont know. Maybe a regulator is a good idea so you dont go leaner as the bottle get's used. It all seems to make since.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

like tim said use it as a wet kit just replacing the gas with propane. also z-rated yes the propane would also have the shot size.

One other thing you might want to look into is what kind of bottle you can use. i was told it has to be d.o.t. aproved and i know the bbq ones are not dont know about the fork lift ones. dont even think you can use a nitrous bottle. BUT THINK ABOUT THIS NITROUS IS NOT LEGAL ON THE STREET ANY WAYS SO WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHAT KIND OF BOTTLE YOU USE FOR PROPANE.(sorry for the caps)
i am no expert but have researched it some.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats funny, I was saying "like a dry kit" But i knew it would go after the maf the more I thought about it. I mean why would you want more fuel? you are using propane. Im not going to do this for a while, so ill wait for others to get the bugs out.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Just a couple of mental notes, I could be totally wrong

But a gas noid isn't designed for the Pressure like a Nitrous noid. Plus from a volume stand point it would be the same issue. Would a petro fuel noid flow enough gas fuel Propane..not sure but mabey someone else would chime in. And a requlator would be a must imho...

Also it would be interesting to see what size jets people have played with.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first of the danamic racing propane kit is for turbo applications, it really isnt nessary for nitrous applications.

for the niods, a guy started out with a nitrous noid, then switched to a gas noid, casue it worked better.

a regulator is a intresting idea, i know the turbo guys had problems runing a regulator as they couldnt get enough pressure in the system

Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I played with a Propane kit on my old Grand Prix GTP, with the intention of spraying nitrous eventually. I set up the propane first. I ran it off of a pressure switch, to come on at a certain amount of boost (the GTP is supercharged). The kit had a bottle regulator, so it was easy to control the amount of propane coming into the motor. After it was set up, whenever I had it active, it ran PIG rich (didn't have the nitrous on it yet), so I can see where it is a great fuel supplement. Here are a few pics of that install on the car:

Pressure switch:

Propane line coming into the supercharger:

The propane fitting and plate:

Propane bottle/pressure regulator in the trunk:
(Note: this was a special bottle made to lay down):

Quick Reply: Propane and N2O. Im still a little fuzzy