PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bouncing idle

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncing idle

Guys, my car has been tuned by a tuner with a full day of road driving and dyno time. I then took it back to do some more tweaking. I still have an idle that will bounce up and down at times if I let off the throttle quickly. It will eventually kill itself when it revs up and falls back too low and can't catch itself in time. He raised the idle when I'm driving which causes the car to have a very annoying high hanging idle till after I come to complete stop, then it will go back down. He is using that to compensate and says that is what I have to live with. He said he could/would turn that hanging idle up even more to keep it from stalling. I said I hate that as it is. I told him I don't like compromises. Am I asking too much for a med. sized cam? He said the big TB's always give him problems. Mine isn't drilled or anything. Do I have to live with this or is it able to be tuned out?

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

He uses HP tuner btw
Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Another thought.... do I need to adjust the throttle blade. I haven't touched it... maybe I need to check the voltage?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

I just went out and checked. I'm getting .58 volts at idle. That is ok, right?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 348 Posts

My car was having the same problem. You're not getting enough air at idle. Your idle air control motor is maxing itself out trying to add enough air. Adjust your throttle blades open slightly and it'll improve your idle a LOT.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frito1
Guys, my car has been tuned by a tuner with a full day of road driving and dyno time. I then took it back to do some more tweaking. I still have an idle that will bounce up and down at times if I let off the throttle quickly. It will eventually kill itself when it revs up and falls back too low and can't catch itself in time. He raised the idle when I'm driving which causes the car to have a very annoying high hanging idle till after I come to complete stop, then it will go back down. He is using that to compensate and says that is what I have to live with. He said he could/would turn that hanging idle up even more to keep it from stalling. I said I hate that as it is. I told him I don't like compromises. Am I asking too much for a med. sized cam? He said the big TB's always give him problems. Mine isn't drilled or anything. Do I have to live with this or is it able to be tuned out?

Thanks for any info!
Strictly speaking......find another tuner. Sounds like you're not happy with this one, and I don't blame you.

I'm a complete novice, and even I know that you can compensate for that by adjusting the stall saver table, without having to increase idle. Enter a good RPM in the table (like 750RPM) for all RPM's under 800 in both the idle P/N and idle in gear tables. That way, if the computer ever senses the idle dropping below 750RPM's, it will quickly adjust to keep the idle up.

Search this Thread