PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners - Lean stumble when you snap throttle or even try to take off? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners - Lean stumble when you snap throttle or even try to take off? Any ideas?

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I get a lean stumble whenever I snap the throttle, my air fuel goes from 14.6 to 19 for a second and then runs fine. It also doesnt really matter what rpm i'm at - off idle or at 2k still does the same thing...... any thoughts would be awsome!!! I attached the tune currently in the car, and did change the cyl volume hoping it would help but with no good results.

1999 Camaro LQ9 6.0L, 8.5:1 diamond pistons, compstar rods,manley valves, custom bullet racing cam, cometic gaskets, arp studs, 78mm precision turbo, 65lb injectors, running maf for now just got my 2bar map but not installed yet, 6 spd, NXL nitrous 125 shot, 12 psi with methenol..... did i miss anything?

I'll try to post a few datalogs in the next day or two, thanks for the help!
Attached Files
Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am new at this but try going over to the hptuners forums and search "transient fuel" it looks like "Let's discuss Transient Fuel" is a good read. Also if you are not running cats I would recommend you turn off CAT over temp protection, its under fuel control> cot,lean cruise. Here is something from the hptuners help file:

Originally Posted by HPTuners Help File
Transient Fuel
The Transient Fuel Tab contains parameters related to Transient Fueling. Due to the port injection configuration of the LS1 engine, a model of fuel transfer from the injector to the cylinder is required. Fuel is not injected directly into the cylinder, but into the airstream aimed at the back of the inlet valve (and port walls) where it subsequently puddles and then boils off (evaporates) into the incoming airstream at a certain rate. The amount of fuel pudding and boiling must be accounted for to ensure optimum fuel delivery. This is particularly true during throttle transients.

During positive throttle (MAP) transients additional fuel must be injected than commanded to account for the fact that not all the fuel injected will make it into the cylinder. If additional fuel were not injected a lean condition would result as more fuel is puddling on the valve and port walls rather than entering the cylinder.

Conversely, during negative throttle (MAP) transients, less fuel needs to be injected than commanded to account for remaining fuel that is still boiling off the walls. If less fuel was not injected a rich condition would result.

Transient Fuel Qualification
Min Fuel Milligrams: Minimum injector pulsewidth used to limit transient adjust fuel.
Transient Fuel Min RPM: Disable Transient Fuel below this RPM.
Transient Fuel Max TPS: Disable Transient Fuel below this TPS if RPM is less than Transient Fuel Min RPM.

Warmup Transient Fuel Correction
Warmup Transient Correction (also known as Stomp Compensation) is used to add additional fuel to transients during engine startup conditions. This is to adjust for conditions of inlet port and valve components not being up to satisfactory temperature. ie. extra fuel puddles on a cold intake.

DFCO TPS Min: Warmup Transient Correction will not be added if TPS below this and exiting DFCO.
Fuel Delta Min Increase: Minimum commanded fuel delta to add correction (only compensate for reasonable sized transients).
Fuel Delta Limit: Negative transient fuel delta threshold to disable correction.
Initial Time Decay Mult vs. ECT: Initial value for time decay multiplier factor.
Time Decay Mult vs. ECT: Initial Time Decay Mult is multiplied by this reduction factor as the decay progresses. Smaller numbers mean faster decay.
Previous Correction Reduction vs. ECT: The previous correction value is reduced by this amount and added to the current correction calculations.

Transient Fuel Film Mass Transfer Calculation
Fuel Boiling Time vs. ECT vs. MAP: Boiling Time value
Fuel On Wall Exp Decay Mult vs. Airflow:
Fuel From Wall Stabilization:
Fuel On Wall Remainder:

Transient Fuel Compensator Gain Calculation
Fuel To Wall Impact Factor vs. Cool Temp vs. MAP:
Impact Factor gain vs. Airflow:

Last edited by Nitroused383; 09-27-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Teching In

awsome thanks for the info and nice catch on cat's, ill let ya know if it fixes the problem!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have substantial fuel trimming going on, to
make the stoich-point, every time you pop between
trim cells the STFTs restart at zero and shortly
learn back to balance. Meanwhile you are off
mixture-point. If it's all happening in closed loop
look at this aspect, right about the tip-in event.

If it's a lean hole preceding rolling into PE, you
may still have that issue but maybe compounded
with some holdoff of PE mode (TPS, RPM, MAP
thresholds & mode delay, the setup varies with
platform & year, truck tunes are set up for towing
and want changed for hot rods etc.).
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Just replaced the head gaskets and I did have 4 cyl. leaking.... come to find out when you get your heads decked you need to make sure the machine shop has the correct stone to make a really smooth finish for cometics to seal! So I now have the gm 5mil 6.2l gaskets and problem solved..... but i still have the stinking lean stumble! It seems worse when i am holding a steady speed say 55 let off the throttle completly then get back into it, also bogs if i am low throttle shifting below 2500 rpm. here is the latest tune if anybody has some suggestions please feel free to let me know! Thanks for looking!
Attached Files
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

also does anyone know how to force open loop? this might help solve the problem I can do it with the data logger and it seems to help!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

You could start by properly setting the engine size, fuel injector flow rate, and VE/MAF tables.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Do you know what the flow rate for 65# edge injectors are? Also I have a datalog if that would help.. Thanks for the input!
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
lean stumble.hpl (41.7 KB, 236 views)
Old 10-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Teching In

i must have a boggling problem here if 183 people have looked at this posting and only 3 people have any comments........
Old 10-11-2008, 01:38 AM
9 Second Club

I cannot view your tune right now because I forgot my laptop charger. Did you apply your 2Bar SD Map? Try this http://www.hptuners.com/help/ and go to the Getting Started>Demos>Applying a 2 Bar SD Enhancement. I think you need to tune the basics first start off by calibrating your injectors like other have said. I have no idea how to do it but a quick search at the hptuners website should help out. You should be in open loop if you are doing any tuning. Also at the www.hptuners.com/help check out Working with VCM Editor>Tuning How To Section>User Submitted>Speed Density. This is a really good article to help you tune your VE table and to force open loop.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

i'm still running the maf for now,probably not for much longer but I will look at the help articles thanks for the advise!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Finally fixed the problem!!! Running constant open loop, shut off dfco, car runs better than ever and as soon as boost starts to build the a/f goes right down to low 11's like it should! Thanks for the input and ideas!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Hey Im glad to hear you got it sorted out! Hptuners has a learning curve but there is enough information out there that you can figuire quite a bit of it out.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Just curious doesnt running OL all the time cause real bad gas mileage? I thought it was not good to run OL all the time?

Kane
Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Why would it cause bad gas mileage? Only if you command it to run less than 14.7:1 afr. You may have bad emissions but bad emissions and gas mileage are two different things. While running closed loop the computer is constantly adding and subtracting fuel to switch the o2 sensors back and forth for emissions. If you tune OL you can cruise around around 15.5:1 afr at low map readings to increase your mileage. You can also make your car idle a lot leaner to save on fuel.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Cool so what are the other cons of OL because it sounds good but why arn't more doing it?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because the IAT can heatsoak too easily and you lose control of your mixture.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by trbokmro
Finally fixed the problem!!! Running constant open loop, shut off dfco, car runs better than ever and as soon as boost starts to build the a/f goes right down to low 11's like it should! Thanks for the input and ideas!!!
Have you tried staying in CL and modifying DFCO?

Quick Reply: HP Tuners - Lean stumble when you snap throttle or even try to take off? Any ideas?