Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Noise

I've been lurking here for a while but I have a problem so I joined to ask the experts.

My truck has an audible tick in the top end around 2-2400rpms. I used the listening tool I have to pinpoint the noise and it's coming from the right hand valvecover, loudest around the third cylinder back. The strange part is the engine sounds completly normal below that RPM, but when you reach 2k it sounds like a collapsed lifter.

It has fresh oil, 50psi oil pressure, 130k miles and runs perfect. This doesn't effect drivability. I pulled the valve cover and checked the rockers, they have some play in the bearings but I didn't see anything that stood out. I talked to a guy today that said if it's a bad lifter the head has to come off to change them on the 5.3, is this true?

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, if anyone has any ideas before I take the engine apart looking for the illusive noise I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Top End Noise

Correct, the head does have to come off.

I had a bad lifter on mine, however the sounds was consistent through out the entire RPM range. In fact, it actually got worse the higher the RPMs went.

I too had good oil pressure and nothing noticeable even when I pulled the valve covers.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

...are you sure a valve spring is not busted?
Old 09-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Teching In

...are you sure a valve spring is not busted?
No, the fact is I didn't think to check that while I had the valve cover off. A friend of mine works as a service writer for GM and has the truck right now to see if they can find the noise before I take it apart.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Well, taking it to dealer was a waist of time. He said he'd have to tear it down to find the problem. I pulled the valve cover again to inspect all the valve springs and they look fine. If I take the listening tool and put it on each screw that holds the valve cover on (at idle), it's quiet all except for the second screw back which would be #2 cylinder on the passenger side. Note that it's not audible at idle without the tool but sounds pretty loud at 2100 RPM's This noise is definitely at cam speed, and isn't load related. I'm thinking lifter but I wish I could be sure before I pull the intake to check.