LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tunning question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunning question

i have a 93 z28. car runs like a somma bitch. extremly lean and i cant take it anymore. im putting in a lt4 hot cam, ported heads, intake, and another stage2 tranny this winter. anyone know how to tune this car. ive heard i should use pcm for less, but the car will never be at its best potential. any knowledge?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

being a 93 car its not a flashable eprom. So your going to have to burn chips if you want to do it yourself. Some very good reading for someone in your position. http://www.speeddensity.org/showthread.php?t=679
Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
being a 93 car its not a flashable eprom. So your going to have to burn chips if you want to do it yourself. Some very good reading for someone in your position. http://www.speeddensity.org/showthread.php?t=679
PCM For Less and MADZ28 still do 93's though, so he can still go with them. I believe Ion from MADZ28 is supposed to be one hell of a ECM tuner. I don't remember who you want to go through with PCM For Less though, for ECMs I mean.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

never said they didnt just letting him know whats involved if he wanted to do it himself.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

i dont know how to tune cars, so i will be using all of this advice to my beneifts. i appreciate your knowledge
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll probably want to do a mail order tune...unless you're interested in learning to tune. Do some research, make a choice.

Ive got a good tuner that I take my car to see in Waco(kind of local). Being able to drive the car (or dyno) with the tuner there and make adjustments is the way to go. Helps get the tune dialed into your setup. This method really starts to come into play once you've made several modifications (cam, heads, bolt-ons, etc)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
You'll probably want to do a mail order tune...unless you're interested in learning to tune. Do some research, make a choice.
This is the way I went, but unless you can find someone who will burn chips for you for relatively no cost, I don't really recommend it. Simply due to the amount of trial and error involved in it. You'll be burning tons of chips if you want to get the most out of it you personally can. That's the only reason why I did it only once, I don't know anyone who can burn me a chip for my latest revision. And the hardware to do it isn't exactly cheap. While it's about the same as what a mail order is, you sadly won't get that same performance that they can get you I did notice a fair pick up from my tune, but still I'm interested in what a pro can yield over mine.

So I agree on going for mail order.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep and hearing those kinds of stories about the older ecu's make me thankful for my converted 95 pcm. Good info though!!

Quick Reply: tunning question