Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

OK i have my Converter.....time for New Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK i have my Converter.....time for New Gear.

OK i have a 99 A4 T/A and I have looked at my door codes and theres a Big GU2 on there so that just tells me i got 2.73s. Well Ive had my 3600 Stall for a while and i can tell that its just too loose. I want to step up to bigger gear but i dont want to break my stock 10-bolt.(keep in mind i dont have enough money to buy 12-bolt) So im thinkin about going with 3.42s but alot of people tell me to go with 3.73s..... before u answer take a look at the sig and see what i have...... Now i like to race.. i only stall up to about 2k at the track and i use DRs. Could I use the 3.73s or should i be safe and go with 3.42s??

Thanx for any help.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OK i have my Converter.....time for New Gear.

I just did that switch myself, I couldnt imagine putting 373s in my car, with 342s it seems perfect car pulls very good at all speeds love them, but I dont like the traction problem I have now. I just started doing some suspension work hope it helps. Do the 342s you really like them.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would find a completely stock rearend from an M6 car (3.42 gears.) You can find them for cheap. The gears will likely be quiet. A much better chance than if you buy aftermarket gears and have them setup. 3.42s will be and EXCELLENT compromise between street and strip. They'll make that converter seem tighter.

I'd do either that, or I'd pick another converter. That Vig 4300...uhh, I mean 3600 converter (it's really a 4300) is REALLY loose for a 2.73 geared car. I bet you could go with something like an SS3800-4000 and it would be both quicker and tighter. Cheaper but still AWESOME choices would be TCI or TCS converters in the same stall range.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, your 60 ft time is terrible for that converter...even with 2.73 gears and a 3650 raceweight. Were you having a traction problem?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Ok couple of questions..... 1. Why is it a 4300 and not a 3600. 2. What are my 60ft times supposed to be. 3. Could TM have anything to do with this? 4. When i'm racing on the street i dont break the tires loose...why?

My 60 ft was in the heat of summer i had some 555Rs but they were run down a bit. Do i need to stall higher? Like 2500k? I'm 18 and i dont have alot of money and my parents dont help (they think its fast enough) So gettin a new converter is kinda not in the equation right now. I want to make due with what i have.
My Real Goal is to have a consitent 12.5 or lower. Thats what i am workin toward, tell me how to get there with what i got i know its extremely possible. I think my next mods are 3.42s and Headers. Most likely Hooker LTs
Old 09-10-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. Because Vig chooses to misrate it for some reason. I don't know why it is, I just know that it is.

2. I'd say 1.5s but AT LEAST 1.6s with that converter and gear combo should be expected. For example, my '02 pulls low 1.6s (best was 1.61 on radial tires) with a TCI 3500 stall. That's 800 RPM lower than yours. Now granted, I have 3.23 gears compared to your 2.73s but that's not that big of a factor. I also am making better power by looking at your 104 trap speed but I would think your converter should make up for the difference concerning 60 fts.

3. Possibly. I deleted mine right when I got the car.

4. Beats me. That converter should hit HARD.

You need to experiment with launch RPMs. I've never owned that particular converter but I've often read that Vig converters like to be flashed from just off idle.

Don't expect the world from changing gears. It'll help, I'm just saying don't expect it to drop you 4 tenths or anything.

Colder weather will help ALOT.
A FTRA kit is cheap power.
Checking your WOT air/fuel ratio on a wideband O2 sensor is a good idea.
Checking your timing advance with a diagnostic scanner is a good idea.
Get your raceweight down. You stand to gain ALOT from this.
An underdrive pulley is cheap power.
Descreen the MAF sensor if you haven't. That's free power.
Make sure your plugs aren't worn.
Port your throttle body. It's not hard to do and it does help. Be sure to check to be sure that your throttle body opens 100% when your foot hits the floor. Most often, it doesn't come close from the factory.
An LS6 intake manifold could really help if you can find one for cheap. I have a feeling there will be used ones for sale cheap galore once the LSx intake manifold hits the shelves.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Howd You Delete your TM??

Ls1 Edit??
If so crap luck for me.

Thanx for your help
Old 09-10-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, LS1Edit.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

God i have Crappy Luck!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

No you have good luck. TM doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the '00s and older.

Take a nice long look at the list of suggestions I offered. You'll be running 11s before you know it.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Being reasonably...... what really can bring down the wieght of the car?

I want to learn but i have no clu what to look for when checkin WOT Fuel/air or dianogostics and neither do i have the equipment to do it.

I wish someone could show me the ropes cause i really want to know alot more about my car and how to fix or adjust settings myself.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's what LS1Tech is for, sharing information. Take some time reading and learning, do some searches on various subjects. You'll pick it up quicker than you think.

Reasonable is opinionated. Take a look at my weight reduction thread at the top of the drag racing section. Many of those things are WAY extreme. Some of them are minor. Some of them are in between. Look carefully at each one and then make your own list of what you deem to be acceptable to YOU.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

OK 2 more question (trying to learn lol)

1. Ok so you think i can go with the 3.73s or just go for 3.42s

2. I know not to expect much from things unless its a mjor thing. My question is how much of a gain can a maybe expected from either gear? from 12.9 to maybe 12.8?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Go with the 3.73s you wont regret it, I promise you but you will need more tire, et streets or drags. Have fun!
Old 09-12-2003, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I think that it would be really easy to just get a M6 rear end as mentioned above. I was think of doing the same thing with my car.