Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Opinions on abs delete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on abs delete?

Looking at a Midwest Chassis fab 9 inch. Should be ordering shortly. I will be running a spool and this will be a 50/50 street strip application. My concern is eliminating the abs to possibly save some money on the reluctor rings and such. However will be running a line lock and the cost of an ABS delete kit with LL isn't much different. So I am sitting here going back and forth. I know once I start deleting this stuff the car becomes more race car and I really start to eliminate the street side of the car. I would keep all of the eliminated parts just incase I ever wanted to go back. I would just like to hear from some of you who have done this and if you regretted or would do again. This is a 4 channel car with tcs and I would need a very clean way of eliminating the abs/brake light on the dash. I will NOT put black tape over the cluster. I just want to do it right the first time and not regret a decision later on. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did a Midwest Fab 9 along with the SJM ABS delete/LL on my 2000 SS. We had a heck of a time doing the SJM kit (line wise)I know Burkhart Chassis makes a kit also. As far as the lights on the dash...sorry to say I took the easy way out and taped over them however others have just removed the bulb from the back of the gauge pod. Good luck with it.

Last edited by SS1875; 10-01-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS1875
I just recently did a Midwest Fab 9 along with the SJM ABS delete/LL on my 2000 SS. We had a heck of a time doing the SJM kit (line wise)I know Burkhart Chassis makes a kit also. As far as the lights on the dash...sorry to say I took the easy way out and taped over them however others have just removed the bulb from the back of the gauge pod. Good luck with it.

Is it just the abs light that needs removal? Or does the brake warning light stay on as well? Any regrets to removing on your setup?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get the ABS light, the brake light will stay illuminated constantly, and you'll also get the ASR Off light at all times (and maybe another, but I can't think of what it would be). I told myself I'd never use black electrical tape to cover up the lights, but honestly, it was the easiest way to do it (provided you put the tape on the back side of the overlay)...otherwise, you'll be desoldering LEDs, and I didn't want to mess with that.

I've had no regrets about deleting my ABS...I've not even noticed it being gone. My car is a nice weather only car, but it is still a 100% street car.

I think it came out well considering it was the first time I've ever bent and flared brake lines:

Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=MeentSS02;10212610]You'll get the ABS light, the brake light will stay illuminated constantly, and you'll also get the ASR Off light at all times (and maybe another, but I can't think of what it would be). I told myself I'd never use black electrical tape to cover up the lights, but honestly, it was the easiest way to do it (provided you put the tape on the back side of the overlay)...otherwise, you'll be desoldering LEDs, and I didn't want to mess with that.

I've had no regrets about deleting my ABS...I've not even noticed it being gone. My car is a nice weather only car, but it is still a 100% street car.

I think it came out well considering it was the first time I've ever bent and flared brake lines:

The install looks great. Nice and clean. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

You will also get the service vehicle soon light. I deleted my cruise as well so I get the ABS/Brake/TCS/and Service Vehicle lights. I have no regrets at all...wasn't a big fan of ABS anyway and cruise was useless to me after all the modding that has been done. Lights are an annoyance that can be handled rather easily...tape being my preferred choice.
The lines didn't go that well for me so we had to improvise a bit... it turned out okay in the end.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

I don't have ABS or TCS anymore either. The only lights I have on though, are the ABS INOP and the TCS off. Nothing else has came on at all.

No regrets here about it either. Nice weather driven car only, so ABS isn't a thing to me, and I always turned TCS off as soon as I started the car as part of my pre take off routine.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

I think my brake light and Service light may be due to the fact I pulled the rear harness out of the car and have left all of the fuses in place.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

I've been running for 2 years without any proportioning valves. Eventually I'm just going to be switching over to manual brakes, but for the time being it brakes just fine. I also use a hurst line lock that I bought from a board memeber for $50 that even had the lines with it. Like others said the lights stay on but I don't even notice them anymore.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

No ABS here and no concerns about not having it.

I would think running a spool is a bigger variation from stock.... I guess.

I don't even notice my ABS light.