Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6010 Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 6010 Help ASAP

Well guy I have had my swap done for a little over a month now, but have for some reason or another lost spark..? Had the car to the track last weekend, no problems what so ever. Car has sat about a week went to drive it around the block tonight and then wash it up to get ready for the track tomorrow..It started first try kinda misfired, figured I might have gave it a little too much fuel before starting it, back it out of my driveway turn off my street and go to accelerate and it just dies..no misfire, no stumble, just like I killed the car..Push the car back to the house, pulled the plugs cleaned them put them back in, still nothing. Checked to see if I'm getting power to the coils, and I am, still nothing, just turns over and over..Checked everything else I can think of..Any ideas or input guys? Anyone else had problems like this before?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hook up a lap top and see if all the sensors are working properly.

Also you hvae probably already done this but don't overlook the obvious. Triple check all the connectors and pull a plug to watch the spark jump tio ground
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

Didn't have a lap top at home last night, so I will hook it up this afternoon. I checked all connections and grounds. Like I said earlier, I have power to the coils when the key is on, and the motor is turning over fast enough to start, Just no fire...?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Any one else have any ideas..MSD tech seems to be no help..
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

verify voltage during cranking, Check voltage drops........ If the box is powered and working the next bet would be checking the signal from both cam and crank sensors....
Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

But if thats the case, what would cause it to all a sudden loose power..I haven't had any issues since I have had it together and running, its been to the track 2 times now..plus has been driven around town with no issues..And then when i was driving it yesterday it just lost all spark..
Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

when you say no fire, do you mean to the plugs? if your getting power to the coils, i wonder if thats always there, and looking for the crank to send a signal?
i looked at my instrutions, was hoping there was a trouble chart, but there wasnt
have you checked all conns, sensors, etc
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Yep checked everything..Switched crank sensors, when there is 12v to to box it puts 12v to every pink wire, ie to the cam and crank sensors, and also to the coil connectors. Pro data software is showing 12.7v but no rpm signal..Finally got a hold of victor from msd and told him everything that happened and tried he hadme check a couple other things and determined that all that was left that it could be was the box so I sent it off a little bit ago..So we'll see I guess...
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

I have a feeling the box is fine. I sent mine in thinking there was something wrong and it was OK. I went through everything you just mentioned trying to start mine. I THINK it ended up being to low of a cranking speed. Once I got the motor spinning faster, it started firing the plugs. So we put them back in and boom, it started.
MSD said the motor needed to spin at least 230 rpms to pick up a signal.

Get the pc hooked up and tell us what the cranking RPM's are.

I pulled my hair out for weeks ******* with this problem, I hope I don't have to do it again once I put the motor back in.

Last edited by JRracing; 10-04-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRracing
I have a feeling the box is fine. I sent mine in thinking there was something wrong and it was OK. I went through everything you just mentioned trying to start mine. I THINK it ended up being to low of a cranking speed. Once I got the motor spinning faster, it started firing the plugs. So we put them back in and boom, it started.
MSD said the motor needed to spin at least 230 rpms to pick up a signal.

Get the pc hooked up and tell us what the cranking RPM's are.

I pulled my hair out for weeks ******* with this problem, I hope I don't have to do it again once I put the motor back in.

that wouldn't explain it shutting off for no reason though...???
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly the shutting off for no reason part is what lead us to the problem with the box. MSD told be only 125rpms are needed to start, Already sent off the box yesterday, but it was not registering any rpm..
Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like my problem, my computer showed no rpm's while cranking. Same thing screwed around with the thing for weeks. Would not start. Checked everything ten freaken times. Finally got a hold of Victor (MSD) and had to send the unit in for a "reflash" Should come back to me this coming week. Hope this resolves the problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

i hooked up my laptop for another person to ck my cranking rpm's to see if i could read them on the laptop, and i was reading 157-158
i run lower comp., for the supercharger, so i wonder if higher comp. or a weak starter could cause lower rpm's-i used a junkyard starter, but pulled it apart and greased everything, if they dont have grease on the bushings, you are fighting that besides the cranking compression
i wonder if thats a problem with factory computers, or aftermarket ones on FI cars also-seems like MSD needs to come up with something to store spark and release it for lower rpms
Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah Victor is who I talked to also..Hopefully I'll get it back soon. How long has it been since you sent yours in..?

My starter is brand new..
Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sent it 3 day commercial on 9/26/08 via UPS. I called them Fri of this past week and Victor said he sent back out to me on Thurs. Hope to have it Tues. or Weds. of this week
Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

just curious, did they say if they found a problem
i noticed today when i was switching mine from map timing to rpm timing, the timing was bouncing around some, but as i reved it up some it smoothed out, maybe just the idle doing it do to the graph ramp-the steeper the ramp, the quicker the timing will change
one thing i noticed on mine, when i found tdc and set a pointer to ck the accuracy of the timing(it was dead on) using an inductive timing light, at idle it would drive the timing crazy, at least the dial, but at 3k the trouble disappeared-almost like feed back or somrthing-just thought it was strange

Last edited by forcd ind; 10-05-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

He didn't say they found any particular problem, He said the unit was "reflashed" and updated. They want me to follow up with them when I get it installed and to make sure it starts and runs correctly. I'll keep the subject posted here as well when I get it.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I have been following this post for some time.... I have the same thing going on. no cranking RPM. I also talked to Victor, and my 6010 is also being reflashed at this time.

I wonder if this is a problem that MSD is trying to rectify quietly? Seems to be the main problem. I hope it works, I'm using an aftermarket crank in mine as well.... I really hope it works. lol

Jim
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Funny you mention that, I had the same feeling. If you are good and fill out your product registration card, and there was a problem you think they would contact everyone who had a 6010 and let them know of a potential issue. Looks like they wish not to get bombarded with units to repair at once. In the mean time everyone is pulling out there freaken hair trying to get these things up and running. For the price of these units I would expect that they could have been a little more up front about it.
PS I still do not have mine back yet and have my fingers crossed when it arrives, hope it starts!!

Last edited by bluethunder364; 10-07-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: **
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Well let us know if it does or not...?

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 Help ASAP