Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Catchcan help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catchcan help

Sup Guys...I realize this a LS1 Fourm but from one F-body lover to another please help me out... I have 02 3.8 camaro, STS turbo, methanol... etc..etc.. I am boosting 15 psi and poppin out my dipstick... I realize i have to much preasure in the crankcase. I just bought a catch can setup to elimate STS's answer for a preasure relief valve. Attached is a Skidoodle to show my idea - am i missing something?
Attached Thumbnails Catchcan help-option1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple just run a vented catch can. Morso sell them you can get it from summit.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yay im not the only one! lol

I am in the process of setting up a vented catch can also.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Revisiting my first question

after rethinking my first thoughts, i will need some sort of vac being introduced in order to cause evacuation while under boost... So please checkout attached... But there enlies a problem; if that line is under boost what will keep the oil in the catchcan, also what will keep the resido from corroding the charge pipe and failing the MAF sensor? Please advise!!
Attached Thumbnails Catchcan help-option2.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteHoss02; 10-03-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will want it on the intake elbow not the discharge side lol.. dont know if you meant it but thats the way you drew it up..mine is setup the same but you do need it to be on the suction side.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

does the PVC system always have to be udner vac? could you not put in a one way valve with a catch can soo that under boost the crank case dosent get PSI, but if it does build pressure it can vent. well under normal driving conditions its like a factory system?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a ??? for my own info as I am looking to not boost by crank case either .

That setup seems good , but will the vac source form the inlet side of the turbo put any vac on the crankcase with the catch can vented . I would think it wouldnt get past the vent and then be usless to run the vac line , I could be worng anyone ever put a gauge on it to see if it would pull any vac at the manifold .

Where dose the check valve go here
Attached Thumbnails Catchcan help-option2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am confused about the check valve I always hear about .

Can anyone shead some light on where it sould be in a system like this
Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Check valve normaly goes in the vac source line. Then once it sees boost it will open. My set up is simple and works. All I have is 3/8 line from both valve covers ran to a vented catch can I built. The down side is after I boost I get a hint of oil smell. Im also going to run a vac source from the turbo just to keep the smell down. A side note your vac source must be above your baffels so you wont suck oil in the intake.. My set up is close to a na set up. Just picture a NA car with a breather on both valve covers and a catch can. The only differance is I have 3/8 lines ran to my catch can.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Check valve normaly goes in the vac source line. Then once it sees boost it will open. My set up is simple and works. All I have is 3/8 line from both valve covers ran to a vented catch can I built. The down side is after I boost I get a hint of oil smell. Im also going to run a vac source from the turbo just to keep the smell down. A side note your vac source must be above your baffels so you wont suck oil in the intake.. My set up is close to a na set up. Just picture a NA car with a breather on both valve covers and a catch can. The only differance is I have 3/8 lines ran to my catch can.
Thats beeen working good for you . I heared that the vac pulls debrie form the rings and if you dont have it ,it will premeturely wear the rings . I plan on braking in my motor NA before the turbo goes on . I would run it the way you have it ,and was planning on it till I heard it need s the vac .

What baffles are you taking about ?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

looking at your diagram you will need to move the line from the charge side of the turbo to the inlet/filter side.

the 3.8's have an enclosed PCV system, not accessible under the normal terms.
here is a set up i made and it worked flawlessly.
originally started out with the mcmaster chk vlv that everybody uses here and ran into some "cracking" pressure issues...the mcmaster was not cracking open as advertised (.3lb).
i ended up using the larger krank vent chk vlv. in comparison...well...there was no comparison..LOL
here is a little thread i generated for the 3.8fbod gang.
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=36807

many of the boosted v6 guys dont bother with a evac system...they just drill holes in the tb to vent excess pressure which does absolutely nothing to remove the gases or relieve the crank case.
put it like this..many take short cuts, but do not understand the actual requirements/needs for a proper venting program.
"i has a drill...i dont need no stinking CC system"
^^
quoted from on of the more popular boosted v6 guys.....
yeah, statements like that raises the hair on the back of my neck...LOL
but if u check around with the higher boosted v6's including the fwd gang you will find that the guys that understand..set up a venting program.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you definitely need a decent cc evac sytem on a fi car, plus it helps turbos keep oil from seeping past seals. really the only need for a check valve is if you are hooking up a vac source from intake and you want it open when in vaccum and closed when in boost, to vac it not boost it.if going this route you will want an additional check valve in line to the turbo filter elbow, basically to keep vaccum for sucking air out of the elbow...if that makes any since lol
Old 10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
Thats beeen working good for you . I heared that the vac pulls debrie form the rings and if you dont have it ,it will premeturely wear the rings . I plan on braking in my motor NA before the turbo goes on . I would run it the way you have it ,and was planning on it till I heard it need s the vac .

What baffles are you taking about ?

Some catch can have a baffle system in them to prevent slpash and to help controll and catch the oil. Also I get 15-18gh of vac I had this motor for 3 years and the most oil it burned is 1 quarts every 3k of driving. This is my daily driver also. Even with the recent tune to go along with the new top end upgrade it still burns the same. I ran my motor NA for the breakin also because the oil for the breakin is no good for turbos. On a side note I had the stock pcv plus a breather on the oil fill cap during the breakin. I drove about 1k befor I started to boost it.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some catch can have a baffle system in them to prevent slpash and to help controll and catch the oil. Also I get 15-18gh of vac I had this motor for 3 years and the most oil it burned is 1 quarts every 3k of driving. This is my daily driver also. Even with the recent tune to go along with the new top end upgrade it still burns the same. I ran my motor NA for the breakin also because the oil for the breakin is no good for turbos. On a side note I had the stock pcv plus a breather on the oil fill cap during the breakin. I drove about 1k befor I started to boost it.
Thats some good stuff so you system looks like this right . or do you have another set of breathers on there
Attached Thumbnails Catchcan help-option22.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont know if this is to far out there, but the guys that are using the turbo as a vac, do yall just tap the top side of the filter or somthing, or do yall have a pipe inbetween the filter and turbo?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Thats some good stuff so you system looks like this right . or do you have another set of breathers on there
Yes it looks like that minus the vac source I only want a vac source to keep the fumes down in the car under wot.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reject
dont know if this is to far out there, but the guys that are using the turbo as a vac, do yall just tap the top side of the filter or somthing, or do yall have a pipe inbetween the filter and turbo?
I was thnking of using the fitting on the intake side of the turbo. But I have it cap of because its suppose to be used for boost referance I think ITs a GTS 76
Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it looks like that minus the vac source I only want a vac source to keep the fumes down in the car under wot.
Thanks sorry for all the questions . I still dont get how it pulls vac with no vac sorce but if that works for you I am pretty much sold so thanks. Since I am looking to have similare # 's whne may cars all done
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
yes & yes.
both options work.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks sorry for all the questions . I still dont get how it pulls vac with no vac sorce but if that works for you I am pretty much sold so thanks. Since I am looking to have similare # 's whne may cars all done
The vacume is mesured on my intake vr JR also when I had the fast on there it read the same. Im not 100% sure how to source vacum without a high dollar pump, But the motor is always in vacum untill you introduce boost. To be honest you want as much ventaltion as possible to ensure you dont pressurize the crank case. My system is ugly but it works all my parts where bought through home depo for the fittings and pcv pipe and caps and adavance auto for the hose. But I need to find a vac source to pull the fumes out of the engine bay its only under boost when I smell oil.

Quick Reply: Catchcan help