LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

basic questions unanswered in the F.A.Q.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic questions unanswered in the F.A.Q.

i have just a few general questions for everybody out there. i should be getting my formula tomorrow. the dealer just has a few more things to take care of (free of course).

1. with the LT1's high SCR i am assuming i will need 93 octane, or will i be able to go with 89?

2. with all proper safety measures taken, what is a solid but safe shot of spray? (stock bottom end and everything, 80k miles on her)

3. what is the max that the bottom end will hold safely when tuned properly? (might be considering blower or just H/C/I and some spray)

4. are there any other flash tuners than the Hypertech?
like SCT or Diabolosport for a 1996
Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by impaled
i have just a few general questions for everybody out there. i should be getting my formula tomorrow. the dealer just has a few more things to take care of (free of course).

1. with the LT1's high SCR i am assuming i will need 93 octane, or will i be able to go with 89?

2. with all proper safety measures taken, what is a solid but safe shot of spray? (stock bottom end and everything, 80k miles on her)

3. what is the max that the bottom end will hold safely when tuned properly? (might be considering blower or just H/C/I and some spray)

4. are there any other flash tuners than the Hypertech?
like SCT or Diabolosport for a 1996
1. My brothers driven 87 octane with no ill effects, minus the loss of power. I wouldn't do it though.

2. 150 shot.

2. I've heard 450ish hp. But only 6500 rpm.

4. none that are worth a damn.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1.

Get a pcm tune. They are 100 bucks and worth every penny.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

wen im low on cash ill use rgular 87 octane gas 90% of the time its 93 though id say 100 shot wit no upgrades at all but the stock bottum end would hold 150
Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slomarao
+1.

Get a pcm tune. They are 100 bucks and worth every penny.

i am not familiar with "a PCM tune"... if someone could elaborate on that for me.

i was planning on 93 anyways(unless no ill effects), that is what the stang took, and what the IROC takes now.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i am not familiar with "a PCM tune"... if someone could elaborate on that for me.

i was planning on 93 anyways(unless no ill effects), that is what the stang took, and what the IROC takes now.
tune means new values in your PCM for air/fuel and other changes that you want done. like delete emission smog equipment ect.

PCM = power control module
it control's your fuel injection system, transmission shift points, and emission controls. and other stuff.

(most) newer cars have PCM or ECM
older cars will have ECM = engine control module
ECM cars dont control transmission operations, they use a different module or system for it.

your car has a PCM

Last edited by LT1; 10-03-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
1. My brothers driven 87 octane with no ill effects, minus the loss of power. I wouldn't do it though.

2. 150 shot.

2. I've heard 450ish hp. But only 6500 rpm.

4. none that are worth a damn.
x2....

I drove with 87 once and the thing pinged, I would only run 93 or whatever is premium in your area. For the tune I would do a mail order and for the nitrous I have heard 150 shot being the max as well. If you want to be a little more on the safer side I would do 125, 150 has stretched it for a few but have been fine for many.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT1
tune means new values in your PCM for air/fuel and other changes that you want done. like delete emission smog equipment ect.

PCM = power control module
it control's your fuel injection system, transmission shift points, and emission controls. and other stuff.

(most) newer cars have PCM or ECM
older cars will have ECM = engine control module
ECM cars dont control transmission operations, they use a different module or system for it.

your car has a PCM
i was familiar with the terms PCM/ECM, i wasnt sure if it was an accronym for some form 4th gen tuning equipment. what hardware/software does it take to tune the PCM yourself? do you need when you go to get it dyno'd?

i am very hesitant to a mail order tune. i havent heard too many positive stories about mail order tunes (in the mustang world at least).

------

my stang pinged on 87 as well. i will be safe and go for 93

Last edited by impaled; 10-03-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding below the dashes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

i was familiar with the terms PCM/ECM, i wasnt sure if it was an accronym for some form 4th gen tuning equipment. what hardware/software does it take to tune the PCM yourself? do you need when you go to get it dyno'd?

i am very hesitant to a mail order tune. i havent heard too many positive stories about mail order tunes (in the mustang world at least).

------

my stang pinged on 87 as well. i will be safe and go for 93
Yea I have heard bad things about mail orders from my Stang buddies as well. In the LT1 world tho they are great. I've had great luck with PCMforless as well as tons of other guys on here.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a few good mail order tunes for f-body's, for a bolt-on car i would recommend mail order tune.

http://www.madz28.com/

http://www.pcmforless.com/

Those are 2 off the top of my head (by the way not sure if im allowed to post links like that) dont know if they are sponsers.

with a lot of bolt-on's and tune you should be able to get to 310rwhp + or -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: basic questions unanswered in the F.A.Q.