LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crane 6, or msd 6al?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crane 6, or msd 6al?

Im running a fairly high compression engine and have been wondering about running an ignition box. Seems like everyone is running one, are they worth it? is there a significant difference running one? just looking for peoples opinions and expierences with them. I've seen a lot of 6al boxes go bad. But are they worth the money to run one?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its worth getting, i have the MSD 6AL since 1999 never had problem with it. They say it has strong spark at high rpm ranges (most people dont notice it but i do), and gives you rev control wich is nice. It also has place to install tach.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new 6AL box sitting under my bed for te last 5 or so years. Im gona finally put it to use on my LT1
Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

bump still trying to find out if its worth getting.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

i have a Mallory digital unit in the IROC and have no complaints. 6AL's are inferior to alot of others becasue they still have analog circutry, which wastes more power you could have going to your plugs.

go with another company that is digital or get the MSD digital 6. you might not think its much of a difference, but you will notice.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

I just installed a MSD6al on my 93Z and I am very pleased with it. Very noticable improvement in throttle responce and in the higher RPMs.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigZee71
I just installed a MSD6al on my 93Z and I am very pleased with it. Very noticable improvement in throttle responce and in the higher RPMs.
no matter which box you use, you will notice a difference, but the digital has a solid advantage over the analog. lower power comsumption, higher output to coil and better efficiancy.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by impaled
no matter which box you use, you will notice a difference, but the digital has a solid advantage over the analog. lower power comsumption, higher output to coil and better efficiancy.
+1. I run MSD Digital6Plus, aswell
Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

When you really get into it the MSD box is one of the more lower end systems you can get. At higher RPM's it may be a stronger spark but that's not the point of it, a MULTIPLE SPARK DISCHARGE is what the point is.

When running the drag trucks we did a test between the MSD and the systems we have always pref, Jacobs Electronics. Every time the Jacbos was a full .3 faster if not .5 in some cases but we wrote that off as other changes in driver/reaction times.

However on the technical end the MSD has been proven to not have any Multiple Spark Discharges above about 4500RPM's I believe it was. There have been a few huge writes and break downs all the way down to just the pure math of it and the MSD is really not worth it.

If your going to spend the money take the time to ENSURE you get Multiple Spark above 5000RPM's because that's really when you want it and frankly while were making power at 4-5 and need it the most we also run at least up to 6 if not 67 like some do with different cams. The usefulness disappears if the product is not doing its job.

Just because the old Butt Dyno says yay does not mean the product is actually doing what it should/could be doing if it were performing as advertised.

As for Launch Control, you can get that and many other features out of a lot of the others as well.

From the units we have Seen MSD and Crane have been the lower end we have tested. We have come to pref Jacobs but that is just our personal pref.

Quick Reply: Crane 6, or msd 6al?