Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering my car with SLP LT's

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my car with SLP LT's

I really need to lower my car, but I've got the SLP LT's on there, and they sit low as is. Has anyone else lowered a car with SLP LT's on?

What I'm wanting to do is buy a set of from BMR springs, and do the hose mod in the rear. That should only be a drop of 1" in the front and .75" in the rear. Or should I just wait and buy a new set of LT's and lower my car later on down the road?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure how bad the streets are where you live, but in south fl. i would be out of my mind to lower my car with the SLPs. I would say wait for a new set of LTs, but other people might have a different opinion.
-Joel
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slw ls1
I really need to lower my car, but I've got the SLP LT's on there, and they sit low as is. Has anyone else lowered a car with SLP LT's on?

What I'm wanting to do is buy a set of from BMR springs, and do the hose mod in the rear. That should only be a drop of 1" in the front and .75" in the rear. Or should I just wait and buy a new set of LT's and lower my car later on down the road?
I don't think the rear stock springs are going to matter much. The springrate is low. Just because it sits higher than lowering springs, doesn't mean it never reaches full suspension travel. So when you do and if you bottom out, you will bottom out harder on stock springs.

Also, there's no defined threshold where if you suddenly go a fraction of an inch lower that all of a sudden your in danger zone. You risk bottoming out on stock springs. It may not happen as often, that's all. I consider myself in good shape on kooks and stranos. Does that mean I never bottom out? No. I bottom out on the hump at seekonk speedway, in my crappy gravel driveway with lots of dips, and occasionally on speed bumps when I don't take it really really easy on them.

I've seen those SLP LTs in person. Those things are f*in looooooooooow. You're probably just going to have to deal with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a pic of my car as it sits right now with the SLP's.

The reason I was wanting to go with the BMR's and the hose mod is cause it will "only" lower my car 1" in front and .75 in the back. Most of the full sets of springs lower these cars 1.2-2" and I know if I go anything more than 1" I'll be scraping on a pebal.

The car is not a DD so daily issues won't be a problem. As is right now I rairly bottem out. The only time I ever bottem out is if I try to pull into my GF's driveway because of the grade of the driveway.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ damm those LT's hang low
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ae13291
^^^ damm those LT's hang low
I know, and I hate them. I'm planning on buying some different LT's this winter, but I don't know if I'll have the funds yet, or if I'll have the time. Hell, I've still got a cam and an LS7 clutch I need to throw in this thing, I've had them for 5 months and havn't had the time.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

yea i know whats you mean man, i finally had enough urge to install my steel braided brake lines today after having them for months, next comes the LS6 intake sitting in my room
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not doing the hose mod only in the rear and see if you like it??
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I have my car lowered with slps and it is not bad at all. Used bmr springs also but no hose mod. I am running duals so i dont know if that makes a difference.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slw ls1

SLP was the first set of headers I ever had installed on my car (back in 2003) the car was lowered with Eibach Prokit at the time. I used to scrape the hell out of them ...being careful as hell while driving and trying to avoid low obstacles. I switched to Hooker headers and we found that the SLP's hung a tube and half lower then the hookers.
I believe SLP did a redesign so I'm not sure if the problem was corrected or not. I would probably consider another brand just to be safe.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS1875
SLP was the first set of headers I ever had installed on my car (back in 2003) the car was lowered with Eibach Prokit at the time. I used to scrape the hell out of them ...being careful as hell while driving and trying to avoid low obstacles. I switched to Hooker headers and we found that the SLP's hung a tube and half lower then the hookers.
I believe SLP did a redesign so I'm not sure if the problem was corrected or not. I would probably consider another brand just to be safe.
I was planning on going with Pacesetter lt's and ory. I know several guys running them and they don't have any clearence problems with their cars being lowered.

As is, I avoid low obstacles right now anyways. When I lifted my car last week to do the drill mod there's not a single scratch on the LT's themself from botteming out. There's on small gas on the Y-pipe from when I tried to make it into my GF's driveway, but thats the only marking on them right now. I'm sure that will change if I do lower it w/o switching headers lol.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

^^ i have the pacesetters. great headers, nicely coated too, very easy install, they slide right inn soo easy i was surprised. if you do poly motor mounts then you can get the pacesetter y pipe, the pacesetter y pipe has better clearance then the stock y pipe setup and is tucked under there real well! but it will bang like crazy if u dont have poly mounts. if you decide not to do the poly mounts go with the texas speed y pipe which i think wont bang as much but clearance will suffer. but either way i recommend you do the poly mounts while you are removing the headers
Old 10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had those low hanging SLP headers on my lowered car for a few years. I hated every minute of it! Last year I replaced the LT's with Kooks....and I love my car again.

Basically, I'd put your money into swapping out those LT's 1st, then lower the car. Just my 2 cents.