Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 c4 corvette 6.0 t56? swap help? or talk me out of it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1990 c4 corvette 6.0 t56? swap help? or talk me out of it!

I just acquired a 1990 corvette with coolant leaking into the oil so that got the gears turning, Ls1? sounded cool had a few Ls1's but what I have been reading about the 6.0 with the l92s I'm sold, the car is currently a automatic, I am going to use a t-56 anyone done this the c-beam looks like a PITA, I may do a truck manifold turbo kit on the cheap after I get the car "running" also anyone reading this that may have a f-body FEAD or know where I can get one that would be great, also intake cam specs with 6.0 with l92s would be informative as well, I'm really just looking for a mount kit for now so any help would be great!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

anyone? I'm hoping this turns into a build thread soon but still havent found mounts! help please!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Check your PM's...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search here, corvette forum, and digital corvettes.
It has been done.
I'm currently doing a swap myself. Has a LS1/4L60E now. I want to get my T56 in it. I'm collecting parts, but no progress thus far.
I actually have a pre-made mount for the T56/C-beam. But, again, I haven't installed yet.

I definitely don't want to talk you out of it!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I've been searching and found a ton of great information, I'm ***** deep in the project now I got the car got the 6.0 only right that I put it in no sense fixing the shitty l98 thats leaking coolant into the oil, the car is an automatic now however I really want a 6 speed, I've seen a few guys who have the t-56 mount adapter but haven't seen where people are buying it, or are you guys just making it, and if I buy one in order to get the trans-mount in the correct location don't I need motor mounts that are designed to work with that specific piece and again if so where am I going to be able to get the motor and trans mount from the same place, I feel confident I could fab something up but I'd rather have something tried and true rather then waste time "maybe" getting it to work, the electrical and fuel and cooling systems I feel very confident I can make work relativly easily, after I get the motor in and running I would like to turn the manifolds around a put together a front mounted turbo so this thing should rock, and its winter in michigan so I've got the time now! thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This company has been working on bringing parts to the market for C2/3/4 cars doing the LSx swap. www.speedhound.com They are active on corvetteforum.com mainly

There are a number of post on corvetteforum.com about doing this swap into a C4. The biggest issues you'll encounter on a C4 is getting the dash to work and I believe 90 had the CCM. Is this a track car or street car or...?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

I guess this should be considered a street car because I will terrorize the street occasionally however I'm not a creature comfort kinda guy I can live with autometer guages if need be I would prefer to keep the dash working and was told if I left the original pcm hooked up the dash would retain its function however that leaves me searching for a place to put the new ecm, I'm sure once I get further into this project I'll have a better understanding of whats needed to make the ccm function for now if I can't make it work I wont sweat it.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I recall right from what I have read.. you will be able to get all of the gauges to fucntion except the Instant/AVG MPG function (?).

I was considerring doing this swap also with my 88 Coupe. But it is running pertty good and I have others that are standing in line for a new engine/trans (71 nova / 48 ford truck).

If you can get the C Brace mounted with the correct adatper.. I would just try and fab up some engine plates with the correct location (maybe like the S&P 1" set back, you can pertty much fab up the place or mod the frame stands)
Old 10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I guess I have to do some measuring to find out if I can get the shifter location close enough to the stock position without sliding the engine to far forward and if it has to go forward to far then I have to extend the c-beam and get a longer drive shaft I would like to avoid this, I'm trying to find a shifter relocation kit I think "mcleod"? makes one I would like to keep the engine as close to the firewall as possible and not have to extend the c-beam, I saw a post a long time ago with a t-56 trans adapter to mate it to the c-beam but never saw how far forward it made the engine or if it was in an approprate place and advice/pictures of this would be appreciated someone has had to have done this a few times by now,

I think your right on the instant mpg guage being the only thing I cant get working after a little research. if anyone knows anyone that is a wiring wiz and wants to take on the wiring portion of this swap I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

does anyone have a link to anyone who has put a t-56 in a c4 with an lsx, I need some insight on shifter location otherwise I may just put a 4l60e in for the time being

Quick Reply: 1990 c4 corvette 6.0 t56? swap help? or talk me out of it!