LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

vibrating under car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vibrating under car

alright well i was riding behind my friend on some backroads the other night... and my car sits really low for some reason anyway and sometimes bottoms out... but this time i hit a pothole goin about 45 or 50 and i heard the worst vibrating noise ive ever heard... so i take the car home and get under it to check it out... we replaced the u joints on the driveshaft just because i had play in it, replaced the tranny mount cuz it was ripped in half... and now we are clueless because it is still doin it... it is a vibrating sound against the passengers side floorboard, but it goes away when you put weight on the car, but you can feel it rubbing against the floorboard when you stand outside the car, and it is a noticible sound inside with two people in the car, but outside its hardly noticible.... and i looked to see if my exhaust was rubbin and i cant see it hitting anything... so if anyone has any ideas as to what it would be let me know please!
thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

bent driveshaft? or out of balance?, possibly a bent wheel
Old 10-05-2008, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

I have this on my ss...For me it is my exhaust tapping on the cross member..when the car is not running it looks normal but when you start it up you can hear it tap on the cross member..I fixed it once but once you put load back on it the tranny torque pull on the exhaust because the exhaust mount is hooked to the side of the tanny...and makes it rub again...So in all that could be a possibility.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .

alright cool ill look into that

well i dont think its a bent wheel cuz at higher speeds it still drives straight with no shaking in the wheel or anything... and i dont think its the driveshaft being bent cuz its not a constant noise that i would think the driveshaft being bent would make... like at certain times the noise is gone... im almost positive its exhaust but i just cant find where
Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well now its weird... i jacked the car up and bent the exhaust down in the spots that it looked like it could be hitting... and now you can hear the sound as you are starting the car up... like it sounds in sync with the starter.. and it sounds like a constant grinding noise until i give it gas..and if i go in reverse it sounds terrible... but driving it forward its not bad and sometimes not even there... but in reverse it sounds awful and its really worryin me
Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

Damm that sux! sorry dude good luck fixing it!!

Quick Reply: vibrating under car