Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Trap door/fuel pump

Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trap door/fuel pump

To anyone who has done the trap door to replace their fuel pump: Do you get any more noticeable road noise than before?

On a side note, if I buy a new pump other than the Delco replacement, will I have to get a new sending unit?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trap door is best way if you don't have a lift.Check it out before you pay for it, if it does not have the sending unit don't get it .I put a sheet metal plate over the hole sealed it with silicone and fasted it with self tapping screws and no noise
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I done the door on my 1998 SS Camaro because without a lift its a pretty rough job but doable however I just drilled 4 holes and scribed it (marked metal to cut) and took a saw saw (you could use a cut off wheel but I was scare of cutting something) and cut mine into a U instead of complete square and pryed it up and lifted the sending unit out and replaced the pump with the Racetronix plug and play replacement pump and and wire it up to the relay with kit and run you hot wire up to the battery and change the battery bolts with the ones supplied in the kit. Then I just pulled the metal I cut back down and take some small self tapping screws and 2 little braces to hold it down and take some duct tape around the cut metal and pull the mat and carpet back over it. I didn't get anymore road noise. Good Luck
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) If done properly, you will not hear any additonal road noise.
2) You will not need a new sending unit, you reuse the existing one.
3) If you go through the hassle of doing this, put a Racetronix replacement unit in there and be done with it. It is a rock solid unit, probably cheaper than the ones you are considering, and has room to grow. Personally, I paid the extra $ and put in the harness while I was at it. Fantastic quality unit, and well worth the money, IMHO.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch guys, didn't think about the sheetmetal with silicone (was worried about exhaust fumes too). Really appreciate the help.

Search this Thread