Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno/ mail order/ or software?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Dyno/ mail order/ or software?

Ok so I'm getting stressed over getting the car running.

I dunno if I should get a good mail order tune (pcm4less, fast chips, ect) and be done with it for a while

or

get a dirt cheap tune just to be able to drive it to work out bugs and then get a dyno tune

or

buy the software and try to learn and do it myself...which I'm not a fan of the idea at this point really

its an ls1 with longtubes, exhaust, ported tb, and a comp 230/224 cam...nothing too extreme

please post your opinion, if you choose a mail order option do you guys know who has the cheapest or the best tunes?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having your own software to scan with can be invaluable in swap situations for the troubleshooting support that it provides.

I am not into self-ranking, so I will leave the rest for others to answer

Last edited by Frost; 10-06-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the software, got an email tune (the file, which I loaded with my software, much cheaper and quicker than changing PCMs) and then went to town learning how to refine the tune. Best of both worlds, IMO, and the vehicle was never down due to sending the PCM off in the mail.
The tuner is not a sponsor, so I cannot (and will not) post the company. PM if interested.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

so far lsxtune.com is toward the top of my list, I had actually emailed them right before posting this

I did not realize you could receive a tune through email like that, that does sound appealing

which software did you use?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

For tunes, we send out for EFILive software via email quite often.

For most vehicles also, i always just ship out a whole different ecm core fully programmed for only $160 shipped. So there is no downtime, you get to keep your stock ecm or sell it to someone else. Also that includes free updates for life of your vehicle while you own it. So even 10 years from now if you make a change, all you cover is the shipping..
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wait4me

For most vehicles also, i always just ship out a whole different ecm core fully programmed for only $160 shipped. So there is no downtime, you get to keep your stock ecm or sell it to someone else. Also that includes free updates for life of your vehicle while you own it. So even 10 years from now if you make a change, all you cover is the shipping..

Do you send a TechII or scanner for them to do the crank re-learn for the new PCM or just turn the code for it off and leave them in the dark?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scan tool (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.
2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.
3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.
6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.
7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed. Refer to diagram A on page 8.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

The scanner we have is a Snap On Diagnostic tool, I have never used it as it is my dad's so I'm not sure if it does anything but scan and read information
Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

In the snap on depending on what one, you can do the relearn very simple. It is in the Special tests selection.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

is there any other way to tell if my pcm is good or bad? it will no communicate with the scanner tool

I don't want to sell it to anyone if its bad...I can't find anyone I know with a f body to plug it into

EDIT: he has 2 different scanners, 1 is the old style with lots of different cartridges, the new one looked like it just has 2 or 3 cartridges and goes up to 2006 vehicles, he is giving me the old one when the car is done so I can scan when I need away from home
Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

I can check to see if your pcm is bad or not if you send it to me. I dont charge to do that, just cover the exact shipping cost to send it back to you. Both of those scan tools should work.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scan tool (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.
2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.
3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.
6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.
7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed. Refer to diagram A on page 8.

wow!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a good deal!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are up to the task I say get the software and learn. You will have to do a lot of reading. I promise you will not regret it.

I am sure that the sponsors can help you out fine with a tune and make your car run great. However you will regret not having the software a few months later.