Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headunit install problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headunit install problems

I'm working on installing a JVC KD-AVX44 (El Kameleon) headunit in my '02 WS6 using an humount and I'm having problems.

First, I don't understand what is going to keep the headunit from moving forward and backward and tilting inside the humount. It does not fit tight in there at all. The stock radio had the mount on the radio itself, so it held it securely in place...how is this supposed to work?

Next, I can't even get the headunit to slide in all the way into the stock location. It was hitting the plastic support piece in the back, so I cut that off, but it still won't go back far enough to sit correctly in the humount. The headunit just slides forward until it hits the outer black finished piece of the humount. It isn't supposed to fit like that (forward in the humount) is it?

I'm really frustrated right now so if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u need to use the metal cage that came with ur headunit put that in the humount and bend the tabs out to lock it in place
Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

What tabs are you talking about? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

It's the head unit din sleeve that slips over the head unit then you bend the tabs to keep the head unit secured in the bracket.

Here is a picture of just a din sleeve in a bracket with no head unit. Your head unit should have came with one. hope that helps. You can see the metal tabs, that look like triangles on the sleeve. Some are already bent in on the pic.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

take a picture of your headunit so we can point out the tabs
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got it figured out. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Headunit install problems