LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tubes finally in, EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tubes finally in, EGR question

hey guys over the weekend i finished installing my pace setter long tubes, and wow what a job! personally thats the hardest longest part change swap i have ever done on my car.

but to the meat of the question, ive already had a tune on the car prior to the long tubes and i know i am obviously going to need to go and get a re-flash, and had two questions i was wondering about:

1st - i have a 96 so it had the dual cat set up so there is 4 o2's, do the rear o2's need to be tuned out before it drives even moderately nice?

2nd - once the egr is taken off my computer (tuned out) can i just pinch the hose shut that used to connect to the manifold? i know this isnt the best idea as there are block off plates, im just low on cash since im shilling out 480 for my entire catback including the Y pipe.

thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

1 - Rear o2s can set a code yes, but will not cause the car to run shitty. The fronts do that.

2. Yes, you COULD pinch the hose shut.... Just make sure you RTV it good and it seals before you go driving it. The plates are a better option, but this will work for now.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
1 - Rear o2s can set a code yes, but will not cause the car to run shitty. The fronts do that.

2. Yes, you COULD pinch the hose shut.... Just make sure you RTV it good and it seals before you go driving it. The plates are a better option, but this will work for now.
cool answered both as i was hoping! thanks fixxer, and i am going to try and find a block off plate local, i just wont have the cash for about a week or two after i get ym cat back all welded up friday morning.

does 480 sound good from the collectors back and over the axel? (thats including tax labor and all parts, which are all mandrel bent stainless steel)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great price. Block of plates only cost about 20 bucks, Speedinc, UMI, e-bay all have them. I think you can buy the 2 plate kit for less than 20 on e-bay. You only need 2 if you have OR headers, 3 if you need to block off the header.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Sounds like a great price. Block of plates only cost about 20 bucks, Speedinc, UMI, e-bay all have them. I think you can buy the 2 plate kit for less than 20 on e-bay. You only need 2 if you have OR headers, 3 if you need to block off the header.
Ok so i got OR headers if i remember correctly, the only bung they have is for the front o2's.

and why would i need two plates to block off the egr? i thought it was just one for the back of the intake manifold.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Nope there are two plates that go on the back of the manifold. One for the egr and the other for the egr pipe. Make sure to use high temp rtv copper with no gasket, this will give you a perfect seal!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Nope there are two plates that go on the back of the manifold. One for the egr and the other for the egr pipe. Make sure to use high temp rtv copper with no gasket, this will give you a perfect seal!
cool already have RTV thanks everyone! can't wait to go and get dyno'd in about a month.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

you need to get two plates to block off the back of the intake, then remove all of the EGR stuff including the valves, and make sure to cap the little nipples on the intake itself, and while you're in there pull out all the AIR crap.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwickLT1WS6
you need to get two plates to block off the back of the intake, then remove all of the EGR stuff including the valves, and make sure to cap the little nipples on the intake itself, and while you're in there pull out all the AIR crap.
cool thanks for the advice!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here its 20 bucks shipped with gaskets
search this on e-bay
93-97 LT1 EGR Block Off Plates with Gaskets - Camaro

Heres a pic of the back of my intake with the 2 plates installed and painted
Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Hell Yea Thanks Man!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

You can make your own plates.. I've done it that way. Granted I had the Intake off at the time, but I'm sure someone has one lating around somewhere that can make a Template for you.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you technically only have to block off the drivers side spot for the EGR Valve. That is where the Exhaust goes into the Valve and where it opens to let it into the Intake. The hold on the passenger side is where the Exhaust comes in only..
Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Here its 20 bucks shipped with gaskets
search this on e-bay
93-97 LT1 EGR Block Off Plates with Gaskets - Camaro
I bought a set of those yesterday. They really clean things up.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
You can make your own plates.. I've done it that way. Granted I had the Intake off at the time, but I'm sure someone has one lating around somewhere that can make a Template for you.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you technically only have to block off the drivers side spot for the EGR Valve. That is where the Exhaust goes into the Valve and where it opens to let it into the Intake. The hold on the passenger side is where the Exhaust comes in only..
Yea im actually hoping the guy who did my tune will have a block off plate or will just make one while im there getting a re-flash.

i'll let everyone know how the car runs, personally i cant wait as i can tell it already revs way faster and is more willing to rev.

before the put the long tubes on i had blown the head gasket and got a small sized cam put in and i could tell top end that the exhaust manifolds were really limiting my power. i went to a local track with a buddy who has a 2000 SLP firehawk, and with my manifolds still on he only beat me by .1 and .15 out of the two races we had. i would have him the entire way thru the 1/8th mile and he would start to edge out about the thousand foot mark and by the end would be able 3/4 car to 1-1/4 maybe a 1-1/2 ahead.

now with the long tubes its game time baby! next thing up is converter and gears!