Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

best 6.5 in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 6.5 in speakers

I want to know what are the best speakers that i can put in my camaro convertible... i currently have kicker speakers with an xplod amp... i want something that i can really crank up with no distortion and has great highs and ok bass...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

anyone? lol
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

check out keeaudio.com. Ian, owner of Kee, is a vendor here and is excellent for advice thats honest and right on point. I just ordered an incredible CDT system from him thats going to be top quality. Trust me and pm or email him.

Ryan
Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Best" is a broad word to use. I've seen guys on here call Infinity, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate "the best" when they are hardly close. Plus most of the best quality speakers made, you probably will never have heard of them as with most people.
Plus the other thing is that you can spend $1000.00 on a set of killer component speakers and they won't sound any better then a $100.00 pair of speakers if you don't dampen the door with deadener, use a quality aftermarket amp, use the right wire, install everything properly, etc. Alot of it is in the installation. A good installer can make a decent pair of speakers sound great by installating them correctly.
I also want to point out that "best" is objective. What one person may like in a speaker may sound like nails on a chalk board to you.
The best place to start is what is your budget. How much do you want to spend? Honestly, even if you spend alot of money on good speakers your Sony Xplod amp is not going to do them any justice. I've just ran into that with one of my customers recently who bought a really nice set of Eurosport CDT's from me and was running them with a 4-channel MTX Thunder amp. While that amp is reliable and fairly loud it is not great for sound quality or clarity. So he was not getting the full potential of a quality set of speakers.
Depending on budget some very good speakers are CDT, Focal, Diamond, Rainbow, Morel, Dynaudio, Hertz, and a few others I left out.
Pioneer Premier has a nice set of components in the TS-C720PRS, CDT HD-62's, Rainbow CS 265.25 Germanium, all in the $300-$399.00 price range.
Start with a budget and go from there. Those are just some examples that are in the middle as far as price.

Thanks Ryan!! He just bought the new CDT HD-62S "play it Loud" set. These are supposed to be some of the loudest, clearest components CDT has. He also got the new CDT SQA-4100 audiophile grade 4-channel amp. I have packages with the amp and components located here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/992683-cdt-deals-cdt-s-new-sqa-4100-amplifier.html

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 10-08-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

out of the local audio shops and bestbuy/circuit city i found the best was polk followed by memphis, hertz, then jbl perfects. the polks were next to kickers and absolutely blew them away.

and i don't think any "top" component speakers are going to have very good base. i'd invest in some good 6.5s for the sail panel instead.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Launching!

kappa perfect... sick speaker. run them in everything from my saturns to my birds. pretty decent price on em on the bay. good luck!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for Ian at Kee Audio. I bought a CDT component set from him at G12 to put in my Camaro. Very personable, and a no BS kind of guy when it comes to audio. And he didnt mind answering all my noob questions about speakers either.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

sounds great thanx for the input fellas
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

don't buy memphis. I just installed a 150$ pair in the front and they sound worse than the factory speakers. well, worse than the one that wasn't blown out. Don't get suckered by your local speaker shop!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ must have been because they are under powered. the fronts aren't even powered by factory amp (at least on birds, are stereos are a little different.

wait or was that the tweeters...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

heres what i ordered... hope they are gonna be good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2008-K...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 for Ian AKA Kee Audio. Great guy and easy to do business with!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oberth1
kappa perfect... sick speaker. run them in everything from my saturns to my birds. pretty decent price on em on the bay. good luck!

I didn't like them, they didn't provide enough mid-bass in my car.

I have the Kappa perfect 6.1 components in for the fronts and had the kappa perfect 6.1 midbass speakers in the sail panel, had them running on the Alpine PDX 4.150 and bottomline I had to adjust the bass higher in my Alpine 9857 tuner and after a while I blew the kappa perfects in the sail panels.

Replaced them based on Ian's(Kee Audio) suggestion with the CDT's, forgot which ones i got but I think it was their top of their mid-bass 6-1/2" speakers.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I'd recommend the CDT's over the Kappa Perfects. MUCH better mid-bass, it's a better sounding mid-bass speaker.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

All my speakers are cdt and I love them. After the install they sounded so good that I still havent gotten around to configuring the whole system yet.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Talking Boston, Polk

I have Boston pro 5.5 separates in the front, and polk 3 way 6.5"s in the back. Run through a BIG Alpine 5 channel amp. I have a single 10" sub in a thunderform box.

I've had this system for about 5 years (minus the 10' sub), and just moved it to the Camaro. beautiful CLEAN sound.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

The new Alpine PDX-5 5-channel is smaller then your BIG Alpine amp, about the size of a standard sheet of paper and is just as powerful if not more so. That is a very cool 5-channel!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you guys offer complete replacement speaker packaged for our F bodies? might be a good idea and would be a damn site simpler too...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

My SS is running 6.5 MB Quarts in the doors and the sail panel. The speakers in the rear hatch have been removed. Sound is crystal clear and makes the stock system sound downright muffled.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
do you guys offer complete replacement speaker packaged for our F bodies? might be a good idea and would be a damn site simpler too...
I offer 2 packages right now but I put together custom packages all the time with different combinations of equipment from mild to audiophile sound quality.
The 2 packages I offer right now are these:
http://www.keeaudio.com/id79.html
I will be replacing the MA Audio woofers in the standard package with the new Audiopipe DVC woofers as soon as they ship them to me. I have a standing order on them and the Bazooka DVC subs which are backordered indefinetly. The Audiopipes subs seem like a very good alternative for several reasons. They have multiple mounting holes in the basket for easier installation then the Bazookas, 3" deep so no mounting depth issues at all, and they are based in Florida so I may be able to actually get them to ship sooner. We'll see about that but I am hopeful.
I am also offering an incredible deal on the new CDT SQA-4100 amp along with CDT components as a front stage package. You get a choice of 4 different components along with the high end audiophile amp from CDT. As a bonus I am also including a 4awg amp kit and battery terminal adapter to install it. Here's the deal on that:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992683
Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced blown stockers with the Infinity 6.2 and while they
are certainly not "best", at least they seem to be lasting. I
just soldered the factory pigtails on and that's it. Not super
pleased with the sound but it's better than a Dixie cup full of
gravel, which is where the stockers got to.

Quick Reply: best 6.5 in speakers