LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

thunder racing sent me wrong custom cam (RESOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy thunder racing sent me wrong custom cam (RESOLVED)

i know this just happened because i received my cam today, i set my order up with Gene, he was very polite on the phone and gave great advice, But i verified my correct cam specs with him 4 times, 2 times on the phone and 2 different emails just to verify and make sure the cam specs are correct. well after waiting more then 4 weeks (it took longer then usual) and after fedex made a mistake of misspelling my street name i finally got it today and when i opened the box i noticed there is no cam card and i look on the side of the box and i noticed the duration is off by 2 degrees for both the intake and exhaust valves and the valve lift was also off .001 from intake and exhaust. i understand you cant make the duration perfect but i cant have it off by 2 degrees. i spoke to John today and he told me he will be on top of it, i hope he will. again this just happened so im just sharing whats goin on. im worried at this point because the car is in the shop and since the guy finished everything but is awaiting the cam he is now charging me daily for parking my car there so i am pretty screwed at this point. oh and my name is Zareh if TR sees my post.

*EDIT* IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING, Shane cleared it up for me. due to the fact that XFI lobes will grow approximately 2 degrees when cut on the LS1 core

THANKS AGAIN THUNDER RACING

Last edited by ae13291; 11-07-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zareh,
I'm not 100% sure of the situation, but I do know that if the lift is only off .001, chances are you have the correct cam. Custom cams are ordered by lobe number, and we match each custom cam with it's order by serial number when they arrive. Certain lobe families "grow" when cut on an LS1 cam cores. Also, cam grinding (esp custom grinds) are going to have a certain margin of error that is considered acceptable.

When I get to the shop tomorrow, we will be happy to verify your lobe numbers and specs. You can also call and ask for Shane and I will get him to double check the specs and he can tell you for-sure if the cam is correct. The specs that you posted are consistent with it being the correct cam. (+2 deg on int & exh.)

I will definitely help you get this straight tomorrow!
Thanks,
Angie
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Angie
Zareh,
I'm not 100% sure of the situation, but I do know that if the lift is only off .001, chances are you have the correct cam. Custom cams are ordered by lobe number, and we match each custom cam with it's order by serial number when they arrive. Certain lobe families "grow" when cut on an LS1 cam cores. Also, cam grinding (esp custom grinds) are going to have a certain margin of error that is considered acceptable.

When I get to the shop tomorrow, we will be happy to verify your lobe numbers and specs. You can also call and ask for Shane and I will get him to double check the specs and he can tell you for-sure if the cam is correct. The specs that you posted are consistent with it being the correct cam. (+2 deg on int & exh.)

I will definitely help you get this straight tomorrow!
Thanks,
Angie
Angie thank you for the response. yea for the lift i know its correct .001 is nothing really. but for the duration i mean it cant be off by that much right? if i wanted a 224/230 then i would have ordered that. i ordered 226/232. also arent the custom grinds also supposed to have a cam card?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ae13291
but is awaiting the cam he is now charging me daily for parking my car there
If we charged rent we'd be rich! My parking lot sometimes looks like a storage facility... I can't believe he is doing that to you! Bob
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zareh,

I am actually the person whom Gene approached regarding your cam specs. I've worked with Patrick Guerra for years ordering custom cams and I am very familiar with his process. The 226/232 duration numbers are what your cam would actually read if run on the Cam Pro Plus. This is due to the fact that XFI lobes will grow approximately 2 degrees when cut on the LS1 core. The cam you requested is very similar to many I have cut in the past for Patrick's customers so I recoginzed the lobes right away based on lift and duration. The reason Patrick started quoting cams like this is because customers would be upset once they got their 224/230 cam with a Cam Pro Plus sheet showing 226/232! The correct lobe numbers for your cam are 3015R/3036R. If I were to run your cam on the CPP, it would generally read as a 226/232. If you would like to ship it back to me for this process, I would be more than happy to spin the cam up and check it for you.

Thanks,
Shane Burgess
Co-Owner, VP Operations
Thunder Performance Group, Inc.
D/b/a Thunder Racing
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Zareh,

I am actually the person whom Gene approached regarding your cam specs. I've worked with Patrick Guerra for years ordering custom cams and I am very familiar with his process. The 226/232 duration numbers are what your cam would actually read if run on the Cam Pro Plus. This is due to the fact that XFI lobes will grow approximately 2 degrees when cut on the LS1 core. The cam you requested is very similar to many I have cut in the past for Patrick's customers so I recoginzed the lobes right away based on lift and duration. The reason Patrick started quoting cams like this is because customers would be upset once they got their 224/230 cam with a Cam Pro Plus sheet showing 226/232! The correct lobe numbers for your cam are 3015R/3036R. If I were to run your cam on the CPP, it would generally read as a 226/232. If you would like to ship it back to me for this process, I would be more than happy to spin the cam up and check it for you.

Thanks,
Shane Burgess
Co-Owner, VP Operations
Thunder Performance Group, Inc.
D/b/a Thunder Racing

hello Shane thank you for the response, i called and talked to Angie today and she explained the same but recommended i talk to you as well. i now understand what you mean by the lobe #'s thanks for the offer to run it on the CPP, unfortunately i need to give the cam asap to the mechanic. but since you explained it to me now i understand it much better and you guys know for a fact that this is correct, i believe you guys. As long as the duration is correct im happy. i already talked to Angie about the cam card since it wasent in the box, she said she will contact comp cams on Monday and email it to me. again i appreciate your help Shane, and say thanks to Angie, Gene and John for me as well. i am sorry for the misunderstanding, has there also been other people that have called about the same misunderstanding as me? or am i the only one lol.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You aren't the only one! LOL! That's why Patrick shows the duration as 226/232. Back in the day, we had people call and question the CPP results on almost every cam... It got old really fast!

Thanks for the understanding.

Shane
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
You aren't the only one! LOL! That's why Patrick shows the duration as 226/232. Back in the day, we had people call and question the CPP results on almost every cam... It got old really fast!

Thanks for the understanding.

Shane
thanks again man. i will delete the thread tonight.

Quick Reply: thunder racing sent me wrong custom cam (RESOLVED)