LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Thunder Racing = disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Thunder Racing = disappointment

This is going to be a long one. Here is a summary of events and then I will post the email I sent to Angie with the details. I am only posting this because I feel like I gave Thunder Racing every opportunity to be honest and forthcoming at the very least.

Order Sunday April 24th.

Called Thursday April 28th to comfirm shipping, not shipped, Comp Cams on backorder, will ship next week.

Apparently a back order does not warrant a heads up to the customer.

Called Tuesday May 10th left a voicemail, no response.

Emailed Wednesday May 11th, no response.

Called May, Friday the 13th. Was told it ws was shipping that day. It didn't.

Called Monday May 16th. Was told the shipping guys were off on Friday it will go out today. It didn't.

Called the 18th, was told Comp Cams stuff JUST came in!!! Order would not be shipped now due to an ASP pulley backorder!!! I cancelled the ASP pulley and the order was finally shipped. Nice to find out about the second back order a month later. I was told I would recieve a refund via Paypal for my ASP cancellation.

I recieved the order promptly, some drop shipped from Comp some from Thunder. The problem is it was sent to the WRONG ADDRESS. I specified an alternate shipping address and the parts showed at my billing adress. I do have both addresses list with my CC even though I paid with Paypal and that has the correct shipping address I used.

I call Friday May 27th to see what the hold up is on my refund for the out of stock AP pulley. I was told it *should* have been processed and the "Boss" would have to take care of it from this point.

I sent my email Sunday May 29th, never got a response.

Thursday June 2nd I got an email from Paypal stating Thunder Racing sent me the refund for the ASP pulley. The refund was officially completed on Tuesday June 7th.

My big issues...

Very poor communication , maybe outright lies concerning backorder status and shipping times.

Shipped to an incorrect address.

Slow to act on customer concerns and no initiative to contact the customer.

I have to say I was crestfallen to find that Thunder no longer Cam Doctors their grinds after Comp makes them. All my previous Thunder cams have come with hand written specs stickered to the box. Another mark in the "minus" column in my book.

I have used Thunder Racing since before LS1 motors were offered in F bodies but this is my last time. Hopefully this post will save someone else a ton of aggravation and time.

Larry

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 06-22-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

This is the eamil I sent. I also attached a screen shot of my Paypal account as they seemed unbelieving that I didn't get the refund when I talked to them on the phone. I never got an email back or a call. I guess they didn't care enough to take the time to address my concerns

Hello,

This email is for Angie (The Boss).

I was advised by Gene that my concern would be handled by you in regards to a refund that hasn't been processed yet. I ordered several items and payed via Paypal on Sunday April 24th. There was no mention of a back order on the website for any of the order items so you can understand my frustration when I called for a status update on the Thursday 28th and told that you were waiting for some Comp Cams items on back order. I was assured they would be in and my order shipped to me the following week. I was (and still am) a bit perplexed as to why I didn't get a call or some type of contact informing me of a back order status. I let the following week pass, taking your salesman's word at face value, however I still did not receive a shipping confirmation. I made my next call on Tuesday May 10th and left a voice mail and contact information. I never did get a call back. I sent an email inquiry on Wednesday May 11th and the response to that email was sent on the Friday May 13th informing me that everything was now in stock and shipping later that day. Needless to say it was not.

I called next on Monday May 16th and was told "the shipping people weren't here on Friday, it'll go out today". I asked if I would be sent a shipping confirmation email and was told they are typically sent out the following business day. I left Tuesday May 17th as a day to get my shipping confirmation. That didn't happen because my order wasn't shipped. Again, that was false. Up to this point I had been helped by an unknown gentleman, I never asked for a name because in my years of dealing with Thunder Racing I have never had much difficulty.

I called yet again on Wednesday May 18th and finally spoke to someone with a name, Gene. Gene informed me that all the Comp Cams items had just arrived, which I thought was weird since my order had been "ready to ship" for at least several days. He asked who had told me that and of course I couldn't provide a name. Anyway, great news Gene, I said, send it out. Gene informs me he can't due to a 4-6 week back order on ASP UD pulleys. Seriously? I had been waiting since April 24th for Comp Cams now I'm waiting on a previously unmentioned ASP back order? Enough of that. I asked Gene to delete the pulley from the order and get it sent out ASAP. Gene obliged and sent it out that day. I also received a shipping confirmation the same day. Gene informed me a refund for the ASP pulley would be credited to my Paypal account. Great. Thanks.

I received a set of valve springs that were drop shipped from Comp on your behalf shortly thereafter. The problem is they were sent to my billing address and not my shipping address. When the rest of the order showed up, guess what, yep, sent to my billing address too. I specifically added my shipping address to my CC to avoid mix ups like this and my verified Paypal shipping address is correct. At that point I was ecstatic just to have parts in my hands so I didn't bother to call....again.

So now we roll around to Friday May 27th and my Paypal account has still not been credited for the cancelled ASP pulley. I called Gene and he seemed a bit confused as to why it hasn't been processed and said he would kick it upstairs to the "Bosses Desk" to be handled. I am sending this email to forestall any more problems or issues. I am attaching a screen shot of my Paypal activity since April 24th. As you will see I have not received a refund. I expect this to be handled in a timely fashion.

I am also a little confused with your SOP regarding camshafts. In the past all of TR grind cams have come with a handwritten "Cam Doctor" spec sheet on the box. This latest cam did not have that, just the specs as printed by Comp. When did this policy change as I find it is nice from a peace of mind standpoint and it is a big selling point with me personally.

Here is a list of things that concern me with your company at this time.

If something is on back order, contact the customer. Do not wait indefinitely until the customer contacts you, it is bad business. I had a back order issue with two other vendors in April. Both times they were on the phone to me before the end of the business day to inform me of the status and, if possible, reach another solution to my needs. This problem bit me twice with Thunder just on this order. First with the Comp Cams items and then later with the ASP back order. Please try to be more honest with your customers in this regard. I did have an order in the past that was held up due to a free t-shirt promotion you were having, apparently the color I ordered was not in stock and my order was being held for that. I never got a heads up on that until I called for a status update, but I chalked that up to an employee brain fart

If a refund is in order, post it in a timely fashion. I think the merit of this is painfully obvious.

Try to ship to the correct address. Again, a simply understood concept.

Have your associates identify themselves when answering the phone. It is much easier to relate to someone with a name when calling with a problem or concern.

In closing, I have had a relationship with Thunder Racing for well over ten years. Unfortunately this is the last time I will be ordering from you until I am convinced your business practices have improved. Thanks for taking the time to read this email. If you would like to discuss anything over the phone feel free to call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Larry Xxxxxx

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 06-22-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Larry,
I have answered every email that has come to my personal email, angie@thunderracing.com, and I do not see anything (even checked junk mail, etc.) from you. I'm not sure where the breakdown in that was, but I know for sure that I haven't seen any emails from you. I would like to address your issues via email if you would resend it to me. I understand that there was a breakdown in communication on your order, and I have already set some new procedures in place with the salespeople in order to help alleviate that issue, and I have addressed (again, and in the past) the issues that you have brought up.

You can give me a call at 225-754-7223 if you prefer.

Thanks,
Angie
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

I sent the email to the generic address on your site but headed it with your name. I'm glad you are taking care of the problem. Like I said I have been a customer for a long time and I was disheartend by the whole ordeal. Gene is a hell of a guy though, very willing to help out. I wish I had been talking to him from day one. I will shoot you another email soon. Thanks,

Larry
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

I just wanted to update this thread. I sent another email per Angies request on June 26th and received the following reply on the 29th:

Larry,

I appreciate you taking the time to email me. I would like to respond a little more in depth, but I have to leave town to go pick up my kids from camp and I’m already running about 2 hours behind schedule. Give me until next week and I will get back with you.

Thanks again for your feedback…it’s appreciated.
Angie

As of today I have heard nothing further and I really don't expect to, especially since I emailed Angie again on August 3rd just to "touch base" and maybe get the ball rolling on some type of reply. I was hoping the communication issue was limited to one or maybe two employees answering the phone. Unfortunately it seems to trickle down from the top. For the record I am not seeking any type of recompense or "deal", just a simple assurance of the problem being handled for future orders/customers. I didn't think that would be so difficult but I can see I was mistaken.

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing = disappointment