LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Stay away from Thomson Automotive

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay away from Thomson Automotive

I am building a supercharged 408 LQ9 and looking to push 15 pounds of boost. i decided to look in to installing piston oil squirters. Every machine shop i called told me there system will not work on that block, except for Thomson Automotive. I was a little skeptical of this but since there system was different from the others and, Brian Thomson assured me himself that they could install them in a LQ9 I decided to go through with it and shipped him the block.

Over two weeks later i get a call from Brian and he says that they can't install them because there is not enough material in the webbing's of the mains and it will weaken the block. i tell him he told me specifically that they could. he says he didnt know that the LQ9 has less material in the mains. he also goes on to say that the only block that can handle that much boost is LSX and i shouldn't use this block for that, which is "BS". then i tell him im not gonna pay to ship it back and that he has to ship it to me (cost me a $190 just to ship it there) he says ok and i ask him if he has my address and shipping information, he says we should still have it and if not he will call me back.

yesterday i get a call over one week after he was supposed to ship it. And they want me to come pick it up in michigan!!! I talked to Brian wanting to know why it has not been shipped he says he is not going to pay to ship something he didn't make any money on, and they dont mess with the shipping, and that i can have fedex or someone come and pick it up from there facility and ship it to you. he denies that he said he would pay and ship it back.

so ive payed $400 to have my block that already has $1500 in machining in it kicked across the country and back for over a month!!!

i tried to be reasonable with him, and i understand crap happens but this is inexcusable and i suggest to anyone to stay away from this guy, i thought a machine shop that GM has trusted to build engines for them would know and care more about what they are doing.

But i was wrong and also the second time i talked to him he said that he didnt know that the LQ9 was a 6.0L iron truck block and was calling it an L76 which is an aluminum 6.0L truck block. clearly did not know what he was talking about.

I hope this helps everyone.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks. It's a shame that it sounds like he told you what you wanted to hear, do you have it in writing that he said it could be done? That's one of the positive sides to email communications. Over the phone, you have no record of communications. So he can just as easily say, "hey, I'm not sure we can do it, but if you want to send us your block, we'll see if it can be done or not".
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This should be in the sponsor feedback section.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aww, beat me to it ^. if he thinks an lq9 cant handle boost he needs to close up shop and go make burritos for a living. maybe then he can tell taco bell you cannot wrap up a pound of meat and cheese in a tortilla. Not a great first post though. just sayin
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could of been worse. He could of drilled them and sent it back to you. Then the motor falls apart while you are running it.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

i could be wrong, but i was sure no Gen III engine block could accept piston squirters. i would have got that info from this forum several years ago (so this is not new news)
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Given that the OP came here just to air out his dirty laundry, I find the whole post suspect.

Andrew
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks to hear that. This will cause some good drama lol
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomson auto? Thompson Motorsports? There are a few companies with the same name.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Given that the OP came here just to air out his dirty laundry, I find the whole post suspect.

Andrew
Im going to have to agree with you on this.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about this one? :

http://www.thomsonautomotive.com/contact.html
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for ya man. Why did you want those any way?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First post. Seems odd.
The LQ9 block does not have material where the pads go for the piston oilers in the factory engine. You can put a different style in the main bulkhead, but they are constant flow, they don't have the cut off feature the factory ones do.

Kurt

Andrew
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone who deals with a machine shop that is not within reasonable driving distance should not bitch about shipping costs.

Lesson learned?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Thomson auto? Thompson Motorsports? There are a few companies with the same name.
This is not Thompson Motorsports, We have no affiliation with the Thompson Automotive or with the situation in question. Good luck to the OP, I hope thing turn around on your build.
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Andrew

Not everyone has 10 years to devote to a forum. Believe it or not, some people don't live on the internet.

I have no reason to not believe his claim. Do you?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thompson
This is not Thompson Motorsports, We have no affiliation with the Thompson Automotive or with the situation in question. Good luck to the OP, I hope thing turn around on your build.
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
I figured it wasn't. I have heard only good feedback from your customers.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like he might be registering on message boards, leaving one message, then never coming back. He registered, put up a single post, and has never come back to respond or do anything. Sounds like he's just salty and wants to cry over it. It sucks sometimes when you lose out, but sometime you have to be more diligent about your own research. If 9 our of 10 shops say it can't be done, what makes you think that the one shop knows something noone else does? A quick thread here asking if it was possible would have saved him some headaches considering he's already gotten multiple answers to his questions.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

^^^^^ Yep!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He probably got fired recently from the shop...

If not, gl with recovering from that. Most of us on this forum has dealt with shady shops in the past. I bet the last guy to do me wrong is a little more humbled.

Quick Reply: Stay away from Thomson Automotive