LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!

I'm extremely disappointed and upset with Summit Racing. Here's my story:

On February 3 of this year, I purchase from Summit Racing a Mcleod RXT twin clutch kit, slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Before I did purchase these items online, I call them to ask them if these part would be compatible with one another. They told me yes, they'll run together with no problems at all. So based on that, I made the purchase.

On March 7 I finally received the parts, after 5 weeks of delay. This was primarily due to Summit not having the parts in stock and had to order them from Mcleod themselves. Which meant they had to wait to receive the parts from them in order to ship it to me. But I was in no rush, so I didn't mind.

Middle of June and I send my 99 Corvette to my mechanic's to have these parts installed, along with some additional work. He was extremely busy with other cars at his shop, but it was no rush. I told him to take as much time as he needed.

Now in the middle of August, the car is finished. When I went to pick it up, my mechanic told me there was a big problem. Went he went for a test drive, he heard crunching and grinding sounds within the bowels of the transmission. Specifically were the clutch and flywheel are located. I test drove the car myself, I hear the sounds and knew I was screwed. We both thought at first that the clutch was defective and so we made a call to Summit. My mechanic explained the problem to customer service and ask if the parts could possible be wrong. Their answer, "No sure according to our application on our site shows it's the right part for that vehicle." So we called Mcleod, got a hold of Lee and explain the problem to him. When we told him what kind of clutch, slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder we were running, he immediately replied, "Oh no, the RXT clutch was not design for our slave and clutch master cylinder. It was design for a stock slave and clutch master cylinder. Summit should've known better then to sell you these parts." He then told me to send the clutch back to Mcleod so that they could examine it and they'll send me a new one. He also said to send the slave and clutch master cylinder back to Summit, where they'll contact him and he'll tell them to credit me on those parts.

I called back Summit and told the customer service what Mcleod said and asked them who was going to be responsible of covering my labor cost. They pretty much said rudely that it's not their problem cause it's pass their 90 day warrenty, that me and my mechanic should've known better and it's not our policy to cover labor charges. I reply, "how is it my problem when I called you guys and asked you if these parts would work with one another. Only for you guys to tell me yes and now my car is stuck on the lift waiting to have this problem fix that should've been done once. You guys even told my mechanic that these parts should've worked and now it's costing him space cause of your lack of knowledge on these parts." They pretty much called me a liar and just gave me the same it's not our problem, it's yours attitude. At that point I asked for their manager and went no where with him either.

It's such a shame, they where a good company before. But ever since they expaneded and got three locations, it went to hell in a hand basket. Now cause of them, I'm $4000can in the hole with a car that doesn't work. I'm going to find the contacts of the owners of Summit Racing and attempt to explain my case to them, rather then dealing with rude customer service reps that don't have a clue what there saying. Apparently I'm not the only one to fall victim to this. I've read thousands of cases of people getting screwed over financially by them. And why, cause they don't care as long as they get the money, they'll sell anything. After this experience, I'm not dealing with them agian and I would advise everyone else, including Mcleod or any automotive parts manufacture to do the same. Cause let's face it, why would you want to have a company like Summit Racing to represent a produce that they don't have a clue what they're selling, nor cares to?

Last edited by Z06FRC; 09-29-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 09-29-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is why after learning the hard way many times to deal with a local,reputable,knowledgeable shop that has good people they deal with in case something like this happens.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. I'd do exactly what you are planning and go up the chain of command and get to somebody that will take care of you. You may not get them to pay for all the labor but you might get them to help you out with a portion of it or get some kind of store credit. And like said above, I never ask parts distributers if products will work or not, I always confirm directly with the manufacturer or do research on LS1tech first on big things like driveline and engine components.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

find out where there headquarters is and who is the ceo and his name. call information with the company name and address. hopefully you'll get a phone number that is'nt the regular customer service #. then try to use their name system to get threw to the ceo. i've done this before and had good results. its sad that companies that make millions of dollars a year wont stand behind their products when they make a mistake. send me a pm if you want to talk mike
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

I've never had a problem with summits customer service but that sucks that you are having a hard time with them
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

they are a good company and make alot of money thats why it sucks that when they make a mistake they wont do whats right.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had an issue one time when I took my bottle to get filled in the GA store. I stood there for almost an hour waiting on the guy before he came back and give me a line about not having a fitting and needing to look for it. After almost 2 hours I got my bottle back. I got an email asking about my experiance and I was honest and proffessional in my response. The store manager contacted me and gave me store credit. He definitely stepped up and made it right. Go up the chain and don't flip out and you will get something. Might not be what you want but something is better than nothing.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had an issue with Summit and have bought a lot over the last 10 years from them with no issues.

Lesson should be never get technical expertise from Summit Engineers and go directly to the manufacturer with any questions you have. Looks at Summit as a place to purchase parts only, period. Do your research online and get your questions confirmed prior to making a purchase. Good luck with trying to get some labor back but I doubt you will see anything.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sales people at summit are not mechanics that specialize on cars of pretty much any kind. They read a computer screen.

This is why we have sponsor's on this site which you can order parts from which they know what works.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have never really liked summit. I felt like their prices were a little high compared to market value, and I never felt a good vibe from them. Its for these reasons that I wont purchase from them.

If you go high enough in the summit chain, I believe that they will do the right thing.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

you should come to my shop, id love to have customers that spend 4000 for a clutch job
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jwindbigler
I have never really liked summit. I felt like their prices were a little high compared to market value, and I never felt a good vibe from them. Its for these reasons that I wont purchase from them.

If you go high enough in the summit chain, I believe that they will do the right thing.
Really now? They are one of the cheapest retailers around and you say they are priced high? Lol

4k for clutch and such? Damn canada is crazy eh?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldnt resist here....OP, bad experience...I got it. I do feel for you!

Like mentioned, the folks at Summit Racing do not know anything other than what a cataloge states or the item description on the screen. I have purchased thousands of dollars with Summit Racing and have on numerous occasions asked for their insight on compatability and fit-ment. I know first hand, if the information they have doesnt state what I'm looking for, they refer me to the company and provide a phone number. Like all parts, its buyers responsibility to ensure part compatability as every application is different. I don't think any sponser here would pay for labor if there was a mis-communication on fitment. Sponsers? Would you?

I have also experienced receiving the wrong parts or parts are not compatable, and Summit covered the cost of shipping and the parts. In fact this just happened to a pair of rotors. They didn't fit the car like the description stated. They not only took on the shipping, but they upgraded the rotors at no cost.

I am a firm believer that Summit Racing has unbeatable customer service, but its too much of a burden for any company to cover the cost of labor for improper install or the installers inability to check compatability.
IMHO....A clutch with a hydraulic TO bearing is not rocket science. There should not have been any clunks or clings. If anything...the clutch would not release. Something else is wrong in this situation.

If you have noise or interference problems, the installer is at fault as he is suppose to check TO bearing cushion, gap, play, etc! Even an experienced mechanic would know if these parts go together or not....or at least scratch his head in curiosity.

Summit Racing will beat ANYBODYS price out the door. I don't know where the "most expensive" came from. They have their own credit car and they have kick butt customer service. They are #1 in this market for a reason.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Operator error.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Sam Walton once said "You can either be price or you can be service." I try to always keep that in mind. Generally, Summit makes their money on "price" and sales volume.

Manufacturers and vendors like most sponsors on here generally make their money on the one-on-one service. When in doubt, trust the "service" guys for information. It can be a better value and, in the end, cheaper than the "price" deal.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Awake455
Sam Walton once said "You can either be price or you can be service." I try to always keep that in mind. Generally, Summit makes their money on "price" and sales volume.

Manufacturers and vendors like most sponsors on here generally make their money on the one-on-one service. When in doubt, trust the "service" guys for information. It can be a better value and, in the end, cheaper than the "price" deal.
Thats a good way to put it. I forget that there are folks out there that have very little knowledge of vehicles. When this is the case, the sponsors are valued option. Summit Racing is best when you know what you want or need.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had alot of my local customers go to Summit and come back. As was said; Their are a lot of YES answers it seems just to make the sale, and while some are knowledgeable, their are a lot of them who are more salesman than auto mechanic.

Ive had my countermen on hold with the manufacturers for 2 hours rather than not know exact compatibility for a customer; because in the end, no one wants broken parts and even more down time for the car.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea there's only so much those guys know. If you think about it they deal with every car not just LS based...there's just some things you buy from those guys and others that you get from the professionals/enthusiasts here...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

for hp applications you have to do your own research. The dude at suit is just a guy taking orders reading what it says on the screen. labor cost is never covered. You buy a engine from any shop on here. it throws a rod in a month. then its on you to remove and reinstall. The warranty does not cover labor. it covers their part only.

Summit is awesome in customer service and if they sell what i need i always go to them. They have helped me out in the past with kinda the same thing. Wrong clutch etc but i ate the labor.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by david068513
Really now? They are one of the cheapest retailers around and you say they are priced high? Lol
I agree. They always have great prices, usually the lowest or near lowest on any item I've shopped for. I don't really buy LSx stuff from them though, but I order parts for my old SBC car from Summit all the time. Great selection, huge inventory, super fast shipping, and I've never had a customer service issue with them....after dozens of orders over the years.

You just have to keep in mind what they are - a massive retailer, not a local shop. Either way, it's ALWAYS best to do your own reseach (including speaking directly to manufacturers when needed) before ordering from anyone.

Quick Reply: Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!