LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

AES Racing - NEVER AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry AES Racing - NEVER AGAIN.

Long story short here guys:

3/08/2014 - I bring a set of Rich Groh Racing Stage 3 Ported 241 Casting Cylinder heads to AES in anticipation of building my first engine. Speak with Brian Reineking, and discuss my desire to have the heads flowed, which I was told was a $100 charge to have them bench tested. I expressed my concerns of the heads potentially needing to be milled, as I purchased them used from a fellow LS1Tech Member who is also a customer of AES, but will remained unnamed at this point in time. I tell Brian that I am within 1-2 weeks away from removing my LS1 engine from my WS6 and express my intentions of building a maximum effort LS1 H/C/I/E setup. I agree with Brian to call him to advise when the engine is removed from the vehicle, and obtain a business card of his to notify him when the engine is ready to be picked up from my home, for disassembly and build options.

3/21/2014 - I notify Brian that I have the engine removed, with the exception of the monster level two clutch assembly, ready for pickup. The picture below was taken on 3/24/2014, which I have date stamped from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in the lower left corner

3/28/2014 - Mike shows up via shortbed truck to load my LS1 and bring it in for disassembly and inspection.

5/1/2014 - After several discussions with Brien, expressing the desire to stay within a $5k budget, I'm sent a quote for $7,535.92 - which excludes cylinder head rebuild costs. After reaffirming my desire to know flow data from my cylinder heads so that an engine and cam could be spec'd around it, he agreed to have the heads disassembled, magnafluxed, rebuilt, and bench tested for flow data to help us determine a cam and ultimately an engine designed to work around a set of heads which I had hoped would flow .325 @ 600 cfm as I had been told from the previous owner. I express my concerns over budget as I'm well aware that I can get a relatively well built boosted setup for somewhere in the $10k region, which is something that is discussed with Brian.

5/8/2014 - Brian sends me a new quote after reviewing the initial one, sends a PDF still dated 5/1/2014 with a total of $7,093.89

5/19/2014 - After a few phone calls, I ask Brian to quote me on a 6.0L boost build as I'm ready to move on from the aluminum LS engine and onto bigger and better things. I reaffirm my desire to have my cylinder heads rebuilt still, as I'm still hoping to run them on my potential 6.0 build.

5/23/2014 - I am told by Brian:

"Ok. I will get the heads in the works.

Let me know what direction you choose to take."

7/22/2014 - After eight weeks of unanswered calls and voicemails, I decide to *67 my call to AES, and wouldn't you know it, Brian answers the phone! I press him for answers on my cylinder heads, as I was truly hoping to have my WS6 back on the road before the short midwestern summer had come to an end. I am sent a text message/email with disappointing flow data. 281 cfm at .650, 4" bore. I ask for CC size, which to this very day, has not been provided to me as requested.

I inquired with the previous owner regarding the disappointing flow data, who simply gives me the "flow tests are just like dynos, they are variable" line. I simply accept the fact that I'd been sold a head which had flowed 55 cfm less at .650 than I was told, and that these heads took $717.07 to rebuild by AES to do so. Simply a really shitty time during my build, and a true learning experience for me. At this time, having spent $1250 on this used cylinder head package, and another $700+ due on rebuilding them, I decide the hell with it - I'm going to run them.

8/21/2014 - I am sent an email from AES Racing stating the following:
Dear Tim:

Please remit payment, this is over 90 days late.

Sincerely,

Automotive Engine Specialties LLC
(847) 956-1244

I respond with the following:

Brian,

I received flow data from you directly on 7/22/14. How can I possibly be 90 days late on payment given that fact?

I'll come pick them up this week.

Regards,
Tim

To which the excuses continue to flow....

Sorry, we brought in somebody to do some billing for us. Learning curve....
Brian Reineking

I paid $717.07 for the heads on 8/21/2014 - THE SAME DAY I'M TOLD I'M 90 DAYS LATE. Same day.

After this date that I picked up my heads, Brian is a complete jerk to me. They've disassembled my motor, no longer taking my phone calls or responding to my emails. During this time, I'm bringing in car parts for my build including a JP Timing Chain, Chromoly Pushrods, BTR SLR Lifters, BTR Trunion, Comp Cam, etc. I'm hoping that this build can be salvaged despite not making the kind of flow numbers which I had been told they would make by the previous seller. **** happens, time to move on. In the MONTHS of attempts via email and phone call, I never received ANYTHING with the exception of a notification from Brian that he wasn't available due to World of Wheels, and "needing a few days" for himself. You've had MONTHS Brian. MONTHS.

Fast forward to today, I'm being charged $225 for a "storage fee" as apparently I'm at fault while Brian decides to not take my phone calls or respond to my emails. I'm charged $10 more than the original $305 for disassembly of my engine, another extra $10 for degreasing my engine (which remember, all of this work took place in 2014...), AND to top it off, an $85 "pickup charge" for picking up my engine all the way back in March.

AES - I'm sorry that your customer service is nothing short of awful, I really am. This however is NOT my fault. I'll let history do the talking. You want to play tough, let's go.

Brian, I'm glad you "know how close you are with Doug and Steve."

I'll see you in court if you'd like to continue this nonsense, otherwise I'd like to be an adult and come pay for the services rendered. Nothing more, nothing less.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...xperience.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...ecialties.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...-whats-go.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...lling-aes.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...ecialties.html

P.S - I have emails/copies of EVERYTHING. I'm more than willing to share with anyone interested in seeing them. I have nothing to hide here.

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 04-08-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can keep going if you'd like, Brian. Your organization will be exposed for the screw job you're trying to pull.

Notice how the original bill never had a pickup fee too. That's funny...

Doctor up your invoices much?!?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

They are a bunch of "wordsmiths" there and you can tell they do this crap all the time. They know what they can get away with and they do it. You can tell they learn from job to job how to cover these different items that they screw over their customers.

I really hope you take them to court and win something on it. They need to be beat at their own game. I hope it does not only hurt them on the LS boards, but with business in general. They deserve everything bad they have coming to them!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
They are a bunch of "wordsmiths" there and you can tell they do this crap all the time. They know what they can get away with and they do it. You can tell they learn from job to job how to cover these different items that they screw over their customers.

I really hope you take them to court and win something on it. They need to be beat at their own game. I hope it does not only hurt them on the LS boards, but with business in general. They deserve everything bad they have coming to them!
It's not so much that the lack of communication and availability bothers me, I can somewhat understand that, to an extent.

It's the complete lack of accountability and questionable (that's putting it nicely) business practices.

Buy hey, what do I know? I've sent all of my information to my Lawyer, and AES will be hearing from them. I won't tollerate this kind of blatant extortion, nor do I wish a situation like this on my worst enemy, they've driven me to that point.

Buy hey, I'm just some "******* that couldn't afford a $7K+ build".

Oh well.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI...

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've sent a final email to AES before pursuing outside assistance in having this issue resolved. Copied the email I sent yesterday to Brian below. I suppose we'll see what he says, if a response is even provided.

Brian,

This will be the last time I personally contact you in any way, shape, or fashion.

I'd like to extend you the courtesy of correcting the most recent invoice for the work performed on my LS engine by AES Racing. If the $225 "storage fee" is removed from my most recent invoice, I will pay the corresponding $495 for the following work performed:

$85 - Engine Pickup (Performed in 2014)
$105 - Engine Degrease (Performed in 2014)
$305 - Engine Disassembly (Performed in 2014)

Total - $495 plus any applicable tax

Please advise if this is acceptable, and I can have my items removed from your shop after we verify that everything is complete, including the parts I brought to the shop to include in my build which includes a Comp Cams Custom Grind Camshaft (specs can be provided), BTR Trunion Kit (please invoice me if these were ever installed, and invoice me accordingly), and BTR Slow Leakdown Rate Lifters. I feel that this is a deal fair to both parties, as I'd hope that we could both admit that communication is something that had not went well from either side, causing the aforementioned "storage fees" to accumulate on the "invoice" you last sent me.

If you could please advise on your stance, I'd appreciate it. If your stance has not changed, then my hands will be tied and I will be forced into further pursuing legal avenues.

Kind Regards,
Tim Jesionowski
Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow they will never get my business... Sucks when this stuff happens!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Wow they will never get my business... Sucks when this stuff happens!
Check out "BoostedLSX", "Midwest LSX", and all of the miscellaneous groups on Facebook.

Literally FLOODED with complaints about these guys.

And in case anyone was wondering, no response from AES, at least they're consistent I guess
Old 04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm deciding between multiple options right now.

1) Peaceful protest on the sidewalk (public property, perfectly legal), right in front of AES Racing

2) Contact Elk Grove Village Police Department, explain the situation, and meet them at the AES Racing office to attempt to resolve the matter.

3) Class Action lawsuit (PLEASE PM ME IF ANYONE ELSE HAS BEEN WRONGED BY THIS ORGANIZATION!)

Brian, I gave you numerous opportunities to make this right. I'm glad I'm only being wronged for less than few grand, as the majority of people seem to have been screwed out of much more. Now, it's my time to expose you for the YEARS of shady business dealings.

3)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

[X] Option 4: Contact Illinois Attorney General
Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone else has been wronged in any way by AES, please contact me via PM and leave your name and contact information.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like there's a trend here, call me crazy.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...-help-aes.html
Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I thought AES went out of business? They have been shitting on people for a while. I'm surprised you felt they were a reputable shop back in 2014. I'm pretty sure this forum had a lot of bad press about them even in 2014.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I thought AES went out of business? They have been shitting on people for a while. I'm surprised you felt they were a reputable shop back in 2014. I'm pretty sure this forum had a lot of bad press about them even in 2014.
I have friends with much worse stories about their experiences with AES than this guy. We learned our lesson after another shop had to fix their mistakes on both motors.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I can tell you getting the police involved will be fruitless. This is a civil matter, not criminal. Contacting the Attorney General may be a good idea, as it seems there is plenty of negative press around.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
AES will be out of business, it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, Brian plays his "I have your engine, you're not getting it back until you pay exactly what I tell you" game. He's pretty good at it, I must admit.

I did a fair amount of research before bringing my engine to AES. Seems like they've been on a steady decline for several years now based on other clients of theirs I've spoken to since then.

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
I have friends with much worse stories about their experiences with AES than this guy. We learned our lesson after another shop had to fix their mistakes on both motors.
Yep, I won't even run the cylinder heads they rebuilt for me. I'm going to have entirely too much money invested in my setup to rely on these guys' work. We always talk about "peace of mind" on here, well anything AES touched will NOT be bolted onto my engine.
Originally Posted by Exeodus
Well I can tell you getting the police involved will be fruitless. This is a civil matter, not criminal. Contacting the Attorney General may be a good idea, as it seems there is plenty of negative press around.
I agree regarding the police.

I cannot speak much about it, but the only real words that need to be seen are "Class Action"
Old 05-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I had a VERY positive experience with them back in 2013. They did a very high end 408 build for me in less then 3 weeks and I couldn't of been happier. Recently I have noticed that the communication has gone in the toilet though, I will text Mike for something, be told he will get on it, then there is never any follow up. It's sad when a good shop takes a bad turn.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

What happened to Fraser?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike13
What happened to Fraser?
Fraser left AES several years ago.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Fraser left AES several years ago.
I worked with Fraser years ago when he did my 427. Took longer then I was quoted, but the price was fair and the motor ran great. made 560/500 wheel with portled ls3 heads and a stock air intake.

seems like since Fraser left, theres been nothing but negative threads about them.

Hope it works out for you man. sorry to hear your having to deal with all this.

Quick Reply: AES Racing - NEVER AGAIN.