LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

BP Automotive - Buyer beware

Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BP Automotive - Buyer beware

As a follow up to my previous thread about issues I had with Bill at BP Automotive, I am going to relay the most recent issue I had with this harness. I purchased a complete stand-alone harness with pedal, maf, sensors, ecu, etc. from Bill and waited for almost 3 months to get it.

Read about this at https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...utomotive.html.

So, what happened when the harness finally arrived. The apparent build quality is excellent. Connectors, loom, length, fuse box. Everything drops right in and feels like quality work.

So after following the instructions and connecting everything correctly, I didn't have fuel pump trigger and the ECU wouldn't wake up. It happened to be a Saturday, so I came on here and asked for some troubleshooting tips.

After spending about 6 hours going through every system, I found every relay and fuse had correct power, and every system powered up individually....except for the ECU.

So I waited until Monday and called Bill. He answered the phone (about 1 pm his time), and told me "I am too busy right now. I will have to look at my notes and call you back later today".

Next morning, I haven't received a phone call. It would have been nice, for the money I paid, to have some quick troubleshooting tips when I had him on the phone, but that isn't the way he does things.

So I call him again. He wastes a bunch of time mumbling, then tells me I need to check for switched start-run power on pin 19, connector 1, and constant power on pin 20. Also ground on 73. Then he mentions switched power on 47, but corrects himself and says "but you don't need that. That is only for OEM accessories". Then he tells me I may have to send the ECM to him to have it "bench-tested". "Sometimes," he says, "even new ones fail". I suggest if this is the case, why doesn't he send me a replacement and I will return the other one. "I don't trust you". I sent you $1400 cash for a wiring harness, waited patiently for 3 months and you don't trust me?

So I check these and find 19, 20 and 73 are correct. But 47 has a pink wire with no power to it.

After another hour or so, I finally strip back 47 and apply power, and the fuel pump triggers and the throttle blade moves. Ok. So I have ECM power now. I disconnect it...nothing. Reconnect it, fuel pump, throttle blade. Perfect.

NO. I mean WTF? There is no way I can get the harness out without pulling the supercharger, so I fish a wire along side it, tuck it into some loom, and solder it just behind the ecu connector on the pink wire going to pin 47. Attaching it to switched power, everything powers up and works normally.

So I call Bill to tell him this, and he goes ballistic. Tells me he has "hundreds of these running wihtout any power to pin 47", and he just can't understand why it is needed.

Dunno. I'm not the guy that does wiring for a living. You are.

In no particular order, he made the following lame excuses.

1) Maybe my guys broke the wire when the pulled it from the spool
2) Maybe this wire is powering 19 (?) (I had power on 19 already) Well, I don't know then.
3) 19 and 47 are spliced farther up in the harness, they would both have to have power (You told me it isn't even needed. Now you put them in and splice them together) Sometimes we put that wire, and sometime we don't. You don't need it. (But I do need it. Without it, the ECU doesn't power up). I don't know then.
4) Maybe your tuner did something. (It hasn't been connected to a tuner yet. It is exactly the way you sent it to me). Then maybe you need to get your tuner to come look at it. (Why would I spend $450 to have a tuner come here for an ECU that doesn't work?). Then you will have to send it to me. (You don't understand, it works now. I just called to here the lame excuses you will make up).

Needless to say, I should have done due diligence. There are others who report similar issues with this guy. I took his reputation on this site at face value, and regret it.

Take what you want from this, but you are warned.

Last edited by casias; 08-17-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

casias,

Please do not post any more of these threads in the Tech areas. We have this sponsor feedback section for exactly this type of situation. Your previous thread was also moved to this section and has been cleaned up to include only the posts from yourself and BP. I have also locked that thread, as this new thread is now in place to address current issues with the order.

To anyone else reading: Please remember that sponsor feedback threads are to remain between the OP and and the sponsor in question ONLY, as outlined in the section rules. This gives the customer and sponsor an area to discuss the issue without bandwagoning or the confusion of other issues being reported in-between from completely different members.

Only the sponsor (BP) and casias should be making any posts in this thread. There will be no further warnings, any other posts will be removed and infractions/bannings may be issued for members who ignore the rules of this section as well as this additional reminder.

Thanks,
-Admin.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I apologize to the forum for posting in the wrong section. I had no idea there was a vendor feedback section.

So, from my previous thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...utomotive.html, the vendor did finally reply. But he has several statements that are untrue. There is no need for me to refute this, since it is my word against his and no one really cares about the specifics anyway.

What is most important that the harness did not work correctly, and that his communication is terrible. Kind of makes you feel helpless when you spend this much money and don't know how to fix it yourself.

Bill does make several assertions in his response that show the true nature of his business. And this is exactly why I started this thread. For the most part, he agrees that he is inundated, and that he "drops the ball" on communication. But he doesn't feel that is very important anyway.

Since all of us are buying stuff online, without ever meeting vendors or going to their "brick and mortar" shops, online responses are the backbone of trust. When you send $1400 into cyberspace, it is important the vendor has a solid online reputation. Again, I wish I had looked into this vendor on other websites. This story is repeated over and over, and goes back several years. Hence my warning. BUYER BEWARE!

Last edited by casias; 08-17-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Please do not post any additional links to threads that are not originally yours, and/or not related to your specific issue. I have removed said links above.

Again, these types of threads are to remain between the sponsor and customer in question. We expect responses to be professional/civil, on point and, again, comments from 3rd parties are not welcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BP Automotive - Buyer beware