LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Atk forged 408. 500 miles. Failed👎

Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atk forged 408. 500 miles. Failed👎

Atk 408 ate my rod bearings

[QUOTE]I have a 71 nova that has a lq4 built forged 408. 799 heads. 4l80
I bought the short block from Atk engines in Texas at the end of feb. after receiving shipment I was in the middle of moving so long story short I never even opened the crate till the end of July. Assembled the engine with all new parts. Broke in per atk procedure. Dropped the oil at 500 miles and it's full of copper. Pulled the engine and all the rod bearings are wasted. But because I'm beyond the 90 days from shipment I'm told I'm **** out of luck...wtf should I just cut my losses and find a local machine shop to build the shortblock right. Or continue to play the games that Atk are playing

Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I was alerted of all your threads you are posting on numerous forums. It’s funny how the story changes and you throw the blame solely on ATK.

First off, I never got a phone call from you, not even a voicemail, but I did end up seeing a FB message and an email, when I got back from being out of the office. When I got back I did shoot you an email requesting info so that I can help you out. So rather than wait for a response you blast us on the forums. My tech you talked to did tell you that you were out of warranty, but send us some pictures and we would look at them, we didn’t tell you tough luck.

You never said your oil pressure was at idle, any engine builder who asks what your oil pressure typically doesn’t care about idle (for the most part). We took 40-50PSI as at operating temperature under RPM. You are running a stock replacement pump with a standard pressure spring, a stock pump seeing that much oil pressure at idle doesn’t sound right as we have ran a fair share of stock replacement 6.0L LQ4 engines for UPS and at idle we see roughly 25PSI with 5W20 weight oil. Also, we did not blame it on oil pressure issue as a definitive answer, we said it definitely had trash run thru the bearings and looked like an oiling (pressure, pickup clearance, etc.) or detonation issue.

On our Boost/Nitrous series short blocks we know they are going to be run hard, we account for clearances accordingly. On your build file we did use extra clearance half shells to get clearance which tells us we did end up with proper clearances. After you accused the failure of being due to debris left after machining or tight clearances I requested if you felt this way, torque up the best matching bearing shells and take a video/pictures of the setup and measurements and send them to me. This was 2 days ago and you never got back to me, instead you come back on here and blast us some more saying we are NOT GOING TO HELP. We are obviously trying to work with you, but it seems you don’t want help and rather throw the blame on us. You also state that you have only street driven the car with and I quote from your email: “500 mile time frame with zero abuse”, yet your Facebook page shows otherwise with videos of you lighting up the tires on Sept. 1st, seeing what would obviously be more than 5000RPM, I bet that wasn’t the only time.
Facebook Post

We are still willing to work with you if it is indeed our fault, but you have to help us help you with the information we requested.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries bud. I found someone that will rebuild the engine. And for the record a couple little burnouts with a "performance built" engine is far from what I would consider abuse. My rev limiter is set at 5g until it was broken in. I stopped contact with u guys because I was told 90 day warranty and it was pretty apparent I wasn't getting any where with u guys so rather than dicking around with emails I'm sending it to someone who will fix the problem. Wish I could say it' was a pleasure doing business with u guys.
Have a nice day

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
I was alerted of all your threads you are posting on numerous forums. It’s funny how the story changes and you throw the blame solely on ATK.

First off, I never got a phone call from you, not even a voicemail, but I did end up seeing a FB message and an email, when I got back from being out of the office. When I got back I did shoot you an email requesting info so that I can help you out. So rather than wait for a response you blast us on the forums. My tech you talked to did tell you that you were out of warranty, but send us some pictures and we would look at them, we didn’t tell you tough luck.

You never said your oil pressure was at idle, any engine builder who asks what your oil pressure typically doesn’t care about idle (for the most part). We took 40-50PSI as at operating temperature under RPM. You are running a stock replacement pump with a standard pressure spring, a stock pump seeing that much oil pressure at idle doesn’t sound right as we have ran a fair share of stock replacement 6.0L LQ4 engines for UPS and at idle we see roughly 25PSI with 5W20 weight oil. Also, we did not blame it on oil pressure issue as a definitive answer, we said it definitely had trash run thru the bearings and looked like an oiling (pressure, pickup clearance, etc.) or detonation issue.

On our Boost/Nitrous series short blocks we know they are going to be run hard, we account for clearances accordingly. On your build file we did use extra clearance half shells to get clearance which tells us we did end up with proper clearances. After you accused the failure of being due to debris left after machining or tight clearances I requested if you felt this way, torque up the best matching bearing shells and take a video/pictures of the setup and measurements and send them to me. This was 2 days ago and you never got back to me, instead you come back on here and blast us some more saying we are NOT GOING TO HELP. We are obviously trying to work with you, but it seems you don’t want help and rather throw the blame on us. You also state that you have only street driven the car with and I quote from your email: “500 mile time frame with zero abuse”, yet your Facebook page shows otherwise with videos of you lighting up the tires on Sept. 1st, seeing what would obviously be more than 5000RPM, I bet that wasn’t the only time. https://www.facebook.com/sarahann.mu...8194341544048/

We are still willing to work with you if it is indeed our fault, but you have to help us help you with the information we requested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Atk forged 408. 500 miles. Failed👎