Upset with Tick Performance and COMP Cams! - Page 2 - LS1TECH

LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Upset with Tick Performance and COMP Cams!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #21
TECH Addict

Op where are you located ? I know some guys that will hook you up when you get ready to replace that cam.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #22
Teching In

Sorry, to be very correct it was $417 for the cam after taxes.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #23
Teching In

You are right ddnsniper, it was sold as a TICK cam. Never does it say it is a COMP cam. It has been a month, not one time have I had a follow up email or phone call regarding my bad cam from TICK that TICK gladly sold me. So much for really caring, they showed me who they are. If they were anything they would have called COMP every day to make it right and get involved in the process of helping get the problem fixed and not stopped until it was right. That is how things should be done instead of taking money and then sending me to COMP to get the problem fixed. I did not buy the cam from COMP, I BOUGHT IT FROM TICK!!! Look at their site, the cam is called a TICK ELITE CAMSHAFT!!

Read this also. Straight from their website.
Tick Performance proudly offers our Elite Series of Camshafts designed specifically for LS1 & LS6 Engines! Using the latest and greatest technology available, we've put together a complete line of Camshafts that are designed to meet every goal, from mild to wild. Our Elite Series of Camshafts are all manufactured by Cam Motion and are updated with a new version every time an advancement in valvetrain technology becomes available, so they're ALWAYS cutting-edge!

NOW WHERE DOES IT SAY I GET A COMP CAM??

Here is the reply email I got from Joey at TICK. Made me sleep so much better at night after I read it.

Hi Larry, thank you for reaching out to us via email and for your phone call this morning. In addition to referring you to our commercial rep at Comp Cams, we reached out to him as well to confirm that they were aware of the situation. As with most manufacturers, Comp prefers to deal directly with the end user when there is a quality issue involving their product - don't think of it as us passing the buck, but rather eliminating the middle man to make sure that your issue is resolved as quickly and effectively as possible.

We certainly apologize for the headache. Comp has gone to great lengths recently to ensure that problems like this don't happen - unfortunately, since yours was purchased a few months ago, it is hard to tell which "batch" your camshaft might have been in. Regardless, we know it's a nightmare to install a new part and have a problem with it, and for that you have our most sincere apologies.

Reply here with any further questions, comments or complaints!

Joey Anderson - National Sales Manager
Tick Performance, Inc. - Specializing in GM LSx Performance
336.719.xxxx

So regardless, my car has been down. I don't have a silver spoon in my mouth. I saved up for 8 months to get the cam and pay for the install with dyno. Money does not grow on trees for me, in my opinion the cam came off their shelf at TICK. TICK gives me a sorry email and nothing after. Not even checking to see if they could help in any way? I have spent money with TICK twice now. The first and the last time. I'm not bashing, I'm not talking smack. Just stating the truth on how I was treated after I bought a product from TICK.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
LS1Tech Administrator

Looks like this thread has been correctly moved to this section by a moderator. Now that it's here, all section rules apply and further posts should be limited to only the parties directly involved.

Thanks,
-Admin.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #25
LS1TECH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
If you want to get all technical about it, its a TICK cam, NOT a COMP cam. So its YOUR product, not COMP's. It's something TICK should have taken up with COMP, not the end user. So....you sell/rep for COMP and sell a TICK cam on a COMP core that is defective and the buyer is supposed to foot the bill for removal/reinstallation of a new cam. TICK blames COMP and COMP being who they are doesn't have to do anything other than spit out a replacement cam at worst and the end user gets screw.....got it.
Thank you for your insight. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I never denied that the camshaft was a Tick Performance product. It was manufactured by Comp Cams for Tick Performance, and with issues like this in the past, Comp has worked directly with the customer on a resolution. This offers the customer a much more streamlined, quicker solution versus going through us, the middle man in this case.

As an example: we warranty all of our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kits for the entire time the original purchaser owns it. If the original purchaser made the purchase through one of our retailers, we don't make them go back through that middle man for a warranty replacement/repair - we work directly with the customer.

As I said, when I was made aware of the issue, I did reach out to our Comp representative personally to make sure that he had spoken with our customer and that Comp was taking care of the issue (as they had done for us in the past) and he assured me that they were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkysable View Post
You are right ddnsniper, it was sold as a TICK cam. Never does it say it is a COMP cam. It has been a month, not one time have I had a follow up email or phone call regarding my bad cam from TICK that TICK gladly sold me. So much for really caring, they showed me who they are. If they were anything they would have called COMP every day to make it right and get involved in the process of helping get the problem fixed and not stopped until it was right. That is how things should be done instead of taking money and then sending me to COMP to get the problem fixed. I did not buy the cam from COMP, I BOUGHT IT FROM TICK!!! Look at their site, the cam is called a TICK ELITE CAMSHAFT!!

Read this also. Straight from their website.
Tick Performance proudly offers our Elite Series of Camshafts designed specifically for LS1 & LS6 Engines! Using the latest and greatest technology available, we've put together a complete line of Camshafts that are designed to meet every goal, from mild to wild. Our Elite Series of Camshafts are all manufactured by Cam Motion and are updated with a new version every time an advancement in valvetrain technology becomes available, so they're ALWAYS cutting-edge!

NOW WHERE DOES IT SAY I GET A COMP CAM??

Here is the reply email I got from Joey at TICK. Made me sleep so much better at night after I read it.

Hi Larry, thank you for reaching out to us via email and for your phone call this morning. In addition to referring you to our commercial rep at Comp Cams, we reached out to him as well to confirm that they were aware of the situation. As with most manufacturers, Comp prefers to deal directly with the end user when there is a quality issue involving their product - don't think of it as us passing the buck, but rather eliminating the middle man to make sure that your issue is resolved as quickly and effectively as possible.

We certainly apologize for the headache. Comp has gone to great lengths recently to ensure that problems like this don't happen - unfortunately, since yours was purchased a few months ago, it is hard to tell which "batch" your camshaft might have been in. Regardless, we know it's a nightmare to install a new part and have a problem with it, and for that you have our most sincere apologies.

Reply here with any further questions, comments or complaints!

Joey Anderson - National Sales Manager
Tick Performance, Inc. - Specializing in GM LSx Performance
336.719.xxxx

So regardless, my car has been down. I don't have a silver spoon in my mouth. I saved up for 8 months to get the cam and pay for the install with dyno. Money does not grow on trees for me, in my opinion the cam came off their shelf at TICK. TICK gives me a sorry email and nothing after. Not even checking to see if they could help in any way? I have spent money with TICK twice now. The first and the last time. I'm not bashing, I'm not talking smack. Just stating the truth on how I was treated after I bought a product from TICK.
Larry, we have a good working relationship with Comp Cams. When I reached out to our rep originally, I was assured that they were in touch with you and would resolve the problem - we are all grown men, and I don't need to call our Comp rep every day to know that he will keep his word. Has Comp not taken care of you at this point?

Also, on our website, we point out that all "milder" lobe camshafts are ground on Comp cores in the Product Description, below the part you copy/pasted.
Quote:
Option Guide: Do I want the Standard or the Milder Lobes?
If you want a few thousand more miles from your valvesprings and are willing to sacrifice some horsepower/torque for those miles, we also offer this camshaft with milder lobes (choose the "milder" camshaft during checkout.) Camshafts with milder lobes are available on COMP Cams cores only.
I totally understand what you mean about not having a silver spoon or a money tree growing. Fill me in on where you're at with Comp resolving the issue and I'll discuss with our ownership what other options are left.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #26
Teching In

You are right I am a grown adult. I am 44 years old to be exact. I will ask you this Joey. Is there more you could have done then just the email to me and the reach out to your rep at COMP? If a product and reputation is on the line for something you sell regardless if you are not the one who made it. Could there be more you could have done? Remember the customer comes first. Other people can read this all day. Just please explain that you feel you did enough by your reach out to COMP and the email to me. I can gladly go back and pull up my phone records and show that no follow up call was made to me or any other email's regarding my situation?

If you would like to know the status of COMP and me then feel free to give me a call on my cel. You were the one who said talk to them because you don't think of it as us passing the buck, but rather eliminating the middle man.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #27
Teching In

Update after Comp Cam nightmare.

After talking with Comp they looked up my cam and said it was a bad batch one. The guy Red at Comp in the warranty dept shipped a new cam to my installer and then I had to pay for the labor to get the cam taken out and replaced, which was around $600

The new cam they sent had no whine and is still running great after a month now. My installer sent back the cam to Comp and they paid me back for the money I paid to have it swapped out. Comp stood behind their product 100% and I will buy from them again. My car put down 390hp and 380tq.

I'm glad that nightmare is over and I don't wish it on anyone. It took a lot of phone calls with Comp and was no over night process. My installer Steve Williams at EFI Performance LLC (tuned by frost) kept me in the loop the whole time he dealt with Comp on getting it right. Words can not express the effort he did on making my car right.

As for Tick, I will spend my money else where. Just my opinion on them. They just sold the cam and took no follow up to see how everything went other then telling me get a hold of Comp.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
LS1Tech Administrator

Going to lock this one now as it seems the above update brings conclusion to the OP's issue.
Closed Thread