LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Hptuners pricing/licensing policy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs down Hptuners pricing/licensing policy

Over the past year I had purchased a total of 4 licenses and the e/o box from them totalling around $1191...and last week talked to keith about possibly cutting me a deal on 7 more licenses i was planning on buying(97-04) gtp's to finish up that line of cars. He was able to cut me a pretty decent deal(7@$215ea) since I was buying so many of them and had been a long standing customer/supporter...within that time I had a request to tune a model that I didnt have at the time so emailed keith again about if he could do similar pricing for 3 more licenses so a total of 10 licenses, the best he could do was $1000 for 3 more licenses=$333.33 ea. Keeping in mind I could buy a new box(which im sure costs them $ to have drop shipped from jasper) for only $500 and just add a 3rd license for $199 more i responded with this info only to get a response of "I am already cutting you a great deal." I emailed chris to get a second opinion on the situation knowing that for them it would probably be more logical/cost effective to just send 3 licenses via email which takes two minutes then to have them spend money on a new box to be shipped out in addition to having a customer that is about to commit a total of over $3200 with their company have to switch back and forth between boxes and be not-so-satisfied with this recent service. They still wouldnt budge so I ended up opting for the origonal $215 for 7 deal and then bought a second box for another 500. I tried every way i know to make this work smoothly and make everyone happy in the end and It still was not to be. Im just kinda aggrevated because im not asking for anything more then what i couldve bought the new cable for just thought they couldve at least seen my point, obviously not. When they were coming out they were gonna "shake the world" with the pricing/product and yes they have a good product but with pay updates, pay 1/2/3 bar SD, & excess licenses costing more then what you could buy a new cable for it doesnt seem like the holy grail alot of us were looking for IMHO.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I'm sorry you are not happy with what we are offering you and I am sorry you feel that you needed to post this.

Bill, I honestly am very thankful for all of the exposure you give us on all the forums. I see it all over.. You are a great customer of ours but you must understand we need to draw the line somewhere.

Our pricing structure is what it is. We often see people buy a second cable to save a few bucks and then end up e-mailing us down the road asking to combine it onto their existing cable.. its a burden but we always do it.. and we do it often.

What is the solution Bill? We already cut you a great deal. We would not have if you weren't such a great supporter of our product.

Also, minor upgrades and software updates are free for life.. We have many customers that are out of their software upgrade period that receive 1.6 for free. Our first major update coming up will be VCM Suite 2.0

2bar SD.. Bill if you knew the amount of time and effort required to make the 2bar product function as it should I think you would feel different. Chris put a LOT of time into our 2bar product and it works great.

It seems like if we just stayed firm to our pricing structure from the beginning we could have avoided a post like this however we do like to thank those that help make our product more of a success and I thought (and still do think).. that you are one of those guys.

It is what it is Bill, I'm sorry we couldn't work out a better deal for you but we do need to draw the line somewhere.

We will ship your order out on Monday.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 03-05-2005, 03:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magnus
Bill, I'm sorry you are not happy with what we are offering you and I am sorry you feel that you needed to post this.
I knew it would come up at some point, sorry it had to be me

Bill, I honestly am very thankful for all of the exposure you give us on all the forums. I see it all over.. You are a great customer of ours but you must understand we need to draw the line somewhere.
I post about what I know, your product is a good one, this I dont think anyone can deny

Our pricing structure is what it is. We often see people buy a second cable to save a few bucks and then end up e-mailing us down the road asking to combine it onto their existing cable.. its a burden but we always do it.. and we do it often.
this is the part I dont understand...in the end I told chris i wouldnt mind paying the ~$700 to just add the 3 extra licenses since thats what i ended up paying for a whole new unit...my thinking was your probably paying $50-100 to have a new unit to ship with those same licenses, why not charge the same and not have to worry about the overhead of a new unit

What is the solution Bill? We already cut you a great deal. We would not have if you weren't such a great supporter of our product.
see above would've saved you guys a few bucks in the end and wouldnt have been burdened by updates seeing im out of them at this point.

Also, minor upgrades and software updates are free for life.. We have many customers that are out of their software upgrade period that receive 1.6 for free. Our first major update coming up will be VCM Suite 2.0
I even offered to just do the ~$700 with no update and I would just pay the $99 once 2.0 came out...i understand your update structure.

2bar SD.. Bill if you knew the amount of time and effort required to make the 2bar product function as it should I think you would feel different. Chris put a LOT of time into our 2bar product and it works great.
I personally havent purchased the 2 bar but I know I as well as others were quite suprised with the price of it...your working with it may be worth it that I cant comment on I just can say I was suprised with how much it ended up being as were others.

It seems like if we just stayed firm to our pricing structure from the beginning we could have avoided a post like this however we do like to thank those that help make our product more of a success and I thought (and still do think).. that you are one of those guys.
I think if your restructured it to be like $199 up to 4 total then $249 after it would be more enticing...since it would only be an extra $80 for 4 then if you were to buy a whole new unit...you could call it a convience charge

It is what it is Bill, I'm sorry we couldn't work out a better deal for you but we do need to draw the line somewhere.
and I appriciate your initial deal very much

We will ship your order out on Monday.
Thanks

- Keith, HP Tuners[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Keith, I realize you cut Bill a very good deal, but he makes an excellent point. YOU (hptuners) could have SAVED money. If it were not for Bill's advice, I would not have purchased HPTUNERS myself, but he convinced me it was well worth the money spent. I do agree 100%. He has nothing but good to say about your product/s ( and I'm sure you know that). Maybe you should reconsider the "deal" as it helps both parties in the end. To this point he's been a valued customer and has been a proponent for HPT's excellent customer service. I just can't understand why you'd want to leave a "bad taste in anyones mouth", especially his.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Bill what do you do for a living?

I was with Keith all day and he mentioned how they have appreciated your positive comments and have done what they can in terms of discounting... It doesn't get better than what you were offered.

Take care.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bill what do you do for a living?

I was with Keith all day and he mentioned how they have appreciated your positive comments and have done what they can in terms of discounting... It doesn't get better than what you were offered.

Take care.
I have a full time day job 8:30-4 and on the weekends if I can get a day or two away from my wife and 2 year old I try and help people tune their own cars or tune them myself to make ends meet. I wasn't looking for the world but they had already more then been cool with the 7 licenses I was going to purchase so I figured I'd add 3 I'd probably end up needing at some time...in the end all they are going to get is the $700 i ended up offering minus how much they paid to have a new unit sent to me...because they didnt wanna add more licenses to my box for the same price as I couldve bought them...does anyone understand my point? hmmm 4 additional license at $399 each=$1596 or a new box$500+2 additional licenses @199=$900 theres a $700 price gap difference guys...for what is a very minor inconvienince at first install of the program...thats why I offered some constructive critisizm about maybe just charging $249 for each additional after 4 as that seemed much more logical to me...$10-20 extra per license I dont think would be too much to ask to keep your single box...$200 is though. Again I still support their company and still recommend them if they are the best choice for an individual, just as I would with any other company I run into that offers a good product, thats not to say I wont take issue with certain things as this is my right in this country thankfully
Old 03-06-2005, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Good luck and take care.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

What is the competition's pricing like? I haven't looked into it.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

dhp offers 2 units one with no inputs($399) and one with 2 inputs for $499 and comes with 2 licenses...the next 4 vehicles are $150 each, then i believe the last two are $200 each so its 8 licenses for $1500...They offer free updates but their scanner isnt very good so i wouldve just ordered the cheaper version and used my hptuners scanner also this is just for v6 gm vehicles as thats all they offer tuning for at this time. I considered it but their stuff is on backorder out the wazzo and so for my experience for the most part has been good...as far as ls1 based motors goes youve got efi live for ~$700 and its a vin license per car for $99 i believe but you can only add like 10 cars per unit. And then tunercat but im not sure of their pricing and know they dont come with a scanner of any sort.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Wow, that sucks. I guess the HP Tuners pricing structure, even though not the same as it was originally is still the best bang for the buck. That VIN licensing schemes of the competition is really a bummer, you'd think they'd learn.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
Wow, that sucks. I guess the HP Tuners pricing structure, even though not the same as it was originally is still the best bang for the buck. That VIN licensing schemes of the competition is really a bummer, you'd think they'd learn.
actually hptuners licensing scheme has only gotten better with time...at first you got only 1 car for your $499 and i think each additional was $399 correct me if im wrong its been a while and i didnt start ordering more vehicles till the price came down to $199 for the next 2 or in my case 3 since i had the old unit. And like i said dhps is year licensed...not sure how tunercats licensing works though
Old 03-09-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think he was doing this for the best interest of everyone, trying to be a stand up guy saying look im not gonna try and beat the system lets work together on it.

look at the entire structure of the pricing. all the gen 3 american v8 cars:

$3999

-5 fbody
-7 corvette
-1 gto
-2 caddys

15 cars, $499 for 2 cars and then $199 for the next 2, thats $897 for 4 cars and $3588 for 16 cars. now how many holden cars are actually here in the states that would get tuned with that package? prob none, but if there is one we still have a license to get. so for $3389 you can tune all fbody cars, caddys, gto's, vettes.

im sure that would cost you all a lot more money for 4 different boxes.

correct me if im wrong though because i very well may be, it just doesnt seem like you all are seeing his point, although you may. i own hp tuners as well and i am very satisfied with it and i am in no way trying to start anything, just i guess restating what he said, maybe revisit some of the pricing, now if it was $3199 for american v8 gen 3 cars that would be good, cause like i said how many holden cars do we actually tune here in the states seeing its an aussie car??

please dont take this post wrong though, im not taking sides or trying to make a war
Old 03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i think he was doing this for the best interest of everyone, trying to be a stand up guy saying look im not gonna try and beat the system lets work together on it.

look at the entire structure of the pricing. all the gen 3 american v8 cars:

$3999

-5 fbody
-7 corvette
-1 gto
-2 caddys

15 cars, $499 for 2 cars and then $199 for the next 2, thats $897 for 4 cars and $3588 for 16 cars. now how many holden cars are actually here in the states that would get tuned with that package? prob none, but if there is one we still have a license to get. so for $3389 you can tune all fbody cars, caddys, gto's, vettes.

im sure that would cost you all a lot more money for 4 different boxes.

correct me if im wrong though because i very well may be, it just doesnt seem like you all are seeing his point, although you may. i own hp tuners as well and i am very satisfied with it and i am in no way trying to start anything, just i guess restating what he said, maybe revisit some of the pricing, now if it was $3199 for american v8 gen 3 cars that would be good, cause like i said how many holden cars do we actually tune here in the states seeing its an aussie car??

please dont take this post wrong though, im not taking sides or trying to make a war
That's exactly what Bill's point is. Believe me when I say that he speeks very highly of HPT ( their software/hardware/ and customer service). In his eyes, as well as mine and many others, he is trying to do both parties a favor. His request is not unreasonable and unfortunately it seems almost ridiculous for HPT not to do the deal.

Quick Reply: Hptuners pricing/licensing policy