LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

VFN service - EDIT: Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up VFN service - EDIT: Resolved

I am furious right now, but will try to keep this professional. If anyone from VFN actually reads this feel free to try to defend your actions.

I ordered a hood from them last December. When I ordered it they said it would take 2 weeks to make it and ship. After the two weeks was up I called them every week. It has now been 87 days since I ordered the hood, and still NO HOOD! Every week it was something different, "its made but needs to be bonded together" or " I'll work on it and ship it tomorrow" "Its nearly done" etc.etc.etc.
Finally today they said it was done but has surface issues, and they wanted to resand and try to fix it.
I told them to just ship it. I'll repost when when/if I get the hood.

Last edited by 860 Performance; 05-07-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats surpising. I organized a group purchase last year and it went through without a glitch.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Thats surpising. I organized a group purchase last year and it went through without a glitch.
Same here.

They might be slammed since it's right at the beginning of race season, but 87 days...damn!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were you guys happy with thw quality? I hear good things about the parts.

I hope it is good since I've been waiting this long.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Very pleased. A million times better than the junk I got from ASCD a few years back.

What did you order? I got a 4" Ram Air and had it in 5 weeks.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered a carbon fiber flat stock hood for my 79 Z28.
The stock one weighs 66lbs!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I would call and ask for Jeannie or Mando. I'm sorry there is a problem. Their quality is very nice though, but that's not what you are thinking about right this second.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM

i have never had problems with them and they answer the phone so i would call them Jeanie will get to the bottom of the situation

i have seen several VFN stuff and it has all been good
Old 03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, its good everyone seems to have positive things to say about VFN. I look forward to getting this thing. God knows I've been waiting long enough. haha
Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Have you called and asked for Jeannie?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I've talked to Mary-ann every time. She said it has now shipped, so I don't see any reason to call anymore.

I went over a friends place last night who just got his hood from VFN. His does look prety good, and fit up nicely.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Have you called and asked for Jeannie?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, now I'm even more pissed. I have the hood, and what a piece of junk. I understand many people have had good luck with them, but this is terrible. It looks like the they had a surface problem, so they sprayed it with polyester resin, but not with enough hardener. Then smeared the resin in to the big problem areas. The entire surface is awful. I thought I could just sand it all out, but it gums up and clogs the sand paper immedietly. After another call, the only advise they could give was to try a different grit sand paper.

Besides the major surface problem, the shape is not right. The passenger side matches close enough, but whole drivers side is pretty much flat where is it supposed to be curved, its off by about 1/2". And the threaded holes for the latch are off by 3/4".

After 4 months, this is what I have..... should have never wasted my money with them.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Alright, now I'm even more pissed. I have the hood, and what a piece of junk. I understand many people have had good luck with them, but this is terrible. It looks like the they had a surface problem, so they sprayed it with polyester resin, but not with enough hardener. Then smeared the resin in to the big problem areas. The entire surface is awful. I thought I could just sand it all out, but it gums up and clogs the sand paper immedietly. After another call, the only advise they could give was to try a different grit sand paper.

Besides the major surface problem, the shape is not right. The passenger side matches close enough, but whole drivers side is pretty much flat where is it supposed to be curved, its off by about 1/2". And the threaded holes for the latch are off by 3/4".

After 4 months, this is what I have..... should have never wasted my money with them.

That is totally not right. Did you talk to them about sending that hood back and getting another one?
Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a hood on February 7, 2005 and it was here on March 31, 2005. I have had a great experience even when they forgot to ship it on the day quoted. She called me and was very sorry for this mistake and took care of it immediately.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally today they said it was done but has surface issues, and they wanted to resand and try to fix it.
I told them to just ship it. I'll repost when when/if I get the hood.
It looks like the they had a surface problem, so they sprayed it with polyester resin, but not with enough hardener. Then smeared the resin in to the big problem areas.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

It sounds like they told you it had surface issues, but you told them to ship it anyhow. What do you expect....for the freight company to fix it en route? I never saw any magic elves when I worked at UPS.

About the fitment and such, I would advise calling them up and talking to them about it. Carbon fiber is tough to work with, but if they're offering it to the public than they should have a solid product. Give one of the two people PSJ has mentioned and try to get it worked out.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm over it now. A local body shop took care of all of the problems for me. Lots of sanding, grinding, and a quart or so of bondo. It looks decent, except for the fact that the bonded on ribs on the under side of the hood are already falling off.
I'll be suprised if this thing lasts the season.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The VFN folks are very very reasonable, so if anyone has a problem call up and ask for Armando or Jeannie. But always remember, don't modify the hood before you call.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry guys, I just found this post and here's is the story: A) our carbon department has been at 8 weeks production time for several months now not 2wks . B) The Customer sent HIS OWN material for a cosmetic Carbon fiber hood, to save on cost. Unfortunately the material was much different than our carbon fiber and did not accept the resin as our Carbon does, and the surface was filled with bubbles, I explained that we were having some of these issues but I would do whatever I could to fix it, I sanded the entire hood down to the surface and reapplied another layer of gelcoat and once dry I began blocking it down, Unfortunately due to our daily production schedule I had to fit the work in on my own time , I did explain that to the customer. He told me not to worry to ship the part and he would take care of it.I explained it would be quite a task but he said just send it, We decided because of the issues we had with the hood, we gave him a COMPLETE REFUND and sent the hood out to him. He failed to mention the hood Cost Nothing.
Im sorry, we tried to do the right thing. this is a situation were both parties lost something. Armando , Production manager VFN
Old 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

He got a full refund and a hood? 860 did you forget to mention that ???????????????????????

Quick Reply: VFN service - EDIT: Resolved