LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Speed Inc review

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Inc review

Well, I decided to post this review for two reasons. #1, to voice my displeasure for some of the experiences I've had with them and #2, to praise them for what they did well.

I've spent about a grand at speed since I've had my car (about 3.5 months), so I'm not a huge customer for them, but nonetheless. I've bought a set of longtubes, ORY, shift-light, and had a full dyno-tune done. Here are my experiences.

-Bought a set of headers from them, told them I wanted the non-emissions ones. When I went to pick them up, they gave me the emissions ones and said they didn't know I wanted no emissions. They gave me block-off plates for free. I appreciated them remedying the problem and having reasonable prices, but I wish I had the non-emission ones.

-Had the car fully dyno-tuned. Was communicating with Larry about this, setting up the appointment and whatnot. He was very helpful, respectful, and professional. Answered any questions I had. Unfortunately he was on vacation when I had the tune done. When I arrived for the tune, I told them what I had done to the car requiring a tune (I wanted it tuned because of the LT's). After I told them, I was asked "So why are do you want it tuned" in a very smug way. I was a little offended by this. I'm paying you to do it, please don't question my reasoning. Many people get their cars tuned after LT's so I didn't think I was being unreasonable. So, the car was tuned, I came back to pick it up and one of the gentlement gave me my keys and said "You're all set." I then said that I didn't get a dyno graph so he printed one and gave it to me. I'd like to know what my baseline was, but that info wasn't given to me.

-Finally, I ordered a raptor shift light from them. I received a gift certificate from them as a graduation present and used that to pay for part of the raptor. I checked my credit card statement later that week and found they charged me for the total cost, no gift certificate. I called my credit card company and disputed the charge, faxed them my receipt, and received a refund from speed. No "sorry about that", no explanation, nothing.

So, all in all, I'm hot and cold with them. Their guys could use some customer service training (except Larry). The "you only have a bolton camaro so I'm going to give you an attitude" thing doesn't fly with me. But, their prices are very reasonable and their facility is top notch. Will I go to them for my cam purchase and install and my dry kit? Not sure, but I'll definitely look around this time. Sorry for being so long winded.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

I am sure Larry is much more knowledgeable about your situation so I'll let him answer the majority of this but I wanted to answer the important parts.

Yes you paid for the tune, but we don't try to push people into paying for a $450 tune if we think they should hold off on it. We would rather help customers obtain their goals with their budget in mind. It sounds silly to talk someone out of a sale but we will do it from time to time if we feel they could get a better deal by waiting or choosing different parts. We ask what a customers goals are quite often to maybe help them go a different route that would have better results.

The dyno tune starts with a base file, lately the weather has not been the best 'dyno weather'. Our first run is with a base file. The main reason for this is to alleviate any heat soak with many back to back runs.

The raptor shift light is a little confusing. It depends on how you ordered it I suppose, but we would have gladly looked into it if you had said something. I manage the gift certificates and I would have thought I would have heard something if you had called in. Not that I doubt you but calling in to dispute a charge (which I also manage) before even notifying us is not really the way to go about this. I will tell you that we have yet to even be notified about this charge back, but I hope it is only in the amount of the certificate and not the full amount of the order.

Please talk to Larry about your other concerns, I am sure he will recommend a wet kit over a dry kit and be able to resolve anything else.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon @ Speed Inc
Yes you paid for the tune, but we don't try to push people into paying for a $450 tune if we think they should hold off on it. We would rather help customers obtain their goals with their budget in mind. It sounds silly to talk someone out of a sale but we will do it from time to time if we feel they could get a better deal by waiting or choosing different parts. We ask what a customers goals are quite often to maybe help them go a different route that would have better results.
I completely understand this and I agree with you that it's a good idea to look out for the best interests of the customer and his budget. I was just saying it could've been suggested in a better manner than "So why do you want it tuned?" You guys know more about this than I do, so I put a lot of stock into what you guys say. If one of your guys had recommended I hold off on the tune, I probably would have and ordered a cam with the $$$.

The dyno tune starts with a base file, lately the weather has not been the best 'dyno weather'. Our first run is with a base file. The main reason for this is to alleviate any heat soak with many back to back runs.
Fair enough, I didn't know this was an issue and I see the reasoning for your method. But I didn't know this until you told me.

The raptor shift light is a little confusing. It depends on how you ordered it I suppose, but we would have gladly looked into it if you had said something. I manage the gift certificates and I would have thought I would have heard something if you had called in. Not that I doubt you but calling in to dispute a charge (which I also manage) before even notifying us is not really the way to go about this. I will tell you that we have yet to even be notified about this charge back, but I hope it is only in the amount of the certificate and not the full amount of the order.
You are right, I should've called you guys first. I was refunded the amount that the gift certificate was supposed to cover, so all is well.

:edited for html mistakes:
Old 08-08-2006, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

We have many customers who use Speed Inc. We can not recall any having any complaints about their service or products. Glad to see that it seems like everything is straightened out in this particular case.

Last edited by Gunnar@Patriot; 08-15-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nyteryder167
You are right, I should've called you guys first. I was refunded the amount that the gift certificate was supposed to cover, so all is well.
I received a charge back for $100.94 - not the $54.38 difference.

Thanks again for not even calling us before doing this! I hope the credit card company will change around this charge back to the correct amount or reverse it so that we can refund you.

Quick Reply: Speed Inc review